Question for the Drinktracker Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I've been moderating quite well this summer and never manage more than a few weeks of abstaining I have decided to use the drinktracker to monitor my daily intake. How many drinks would half a standard bottle of red wine include? I like to think two but I think it's more like three-four...

Let me know what you guys think ??
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Hi Tips,

Don't normally pop over here but this is something I have to calculate for my volunteer job, so the question is right up my street.

This wee calculator should be able to answer your question. Just click on the link.

Archimedes

J x
    :l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hi Tipp. From my calculations, a standard (not magnum) bottle of wine has approximately 25.4 oz total. If you are drinking the recommended 5 oz (glass), then it would equal a total of 5.4 servings. Half a bottle *would* actually be around 2 glasses. No wonder it's so easy to drink the whole thing, lol.

"I like people too much or not at all."
      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Hey Tipp,
        I believe it is 2 1/2 glasses. So the question becomes, do we mark up (3) or down (2)?

I have always wished the drinktracker had the 1/2 mark for 2 glasses because often one is sharing a bottle of wine with just one other person and it would be nice to feel more accurate with 2 1/2.
        :l
        Eve11
        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Tipplerette,

In the UK we have health guidelines based on "units" of alcohol, which can be a bit confusing but is more accurate than "glasses" because a glass can be small or huge. Women are advised to drink no more than 14 units a week and no more than 2-3 units in one session.

Without going into the rather complicated calculations, a bottle of wine (depending on the strength) has about 9 units of alcohol, so half a bottle is 4.5 units.
          So, according to our health guidelines, half a bottle is too much in one sitting and women (it's different for men) should drink no more than 14 units a week, so that would be about a bottle and a half of wine over a week. And that's a maximum amount.
          (I've just tried the calculator that JackieClaire posted and that tallies at 4.5 drinks too for half a bottle of wine.)

I used to drink more than 100 units a week, up to 10 times the recommended maximum, so I'm not being holier-than-thou about it, just saying what our guidelines say.
          I assume most countries would have their own guidelines and they might vary.

I used the drink tracker early on and found it very useful in seeing patterns in my drinking.
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Thank you all. Maybe I'll stop vying for more than my share of the bottle from now on.
            Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

I've experimented on-and-off with an iPhone App called "BAC Alcohol Calculator." It allows you to select your sex and weight, and then lets you drag and drop drinks onto a timeline. It's pretty simple, it looks very sharp and you can choose from a lot of drinks. The downside I've found is that it's not very discreet - people have asked me what the hell I'm doing dragging all these colorful beverages around on my phone.
              asp.net live project training in ahmedabad

Comment

Thanks a lot but now it's easier as the answer has been easy to calculate recently. It's ZERO, NADA, 0. Period.

I won't be needing this info again.

Tips
                Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                X