New member, 24 days almost AF, planning to mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Already posted this under Goals section but this forum looks to be more active...

Intro

Hi there,

I'm moving over here from another forum that was only alcohol-free and didn't have a moderation forum.

I'm on my 24th day AF (except for ONE beer - more on that later.) I had moderate withdrawal - 4 to 5 days feeling like I was hung over, three days of being emotional, and by day 9, I was pretty much back to normal. What was very atypical for me was I had almost no cravings - its actually been pretty easy.

I got tired of hearing that I could never drink a drop again. I don't like it when people swear AA is the only way to go. I've been researching and learned there is more than one type of alcoholic, with different responses to treatment and different chances of success in moderation.

The one beer last Saturday was a test. It didn't give me any sort of buzz, and I didn't expect it to. It was a delicious porter at a brewery with friends. I drank it for taste, nursed it for an hour and a half (my one beer to everyone else's three) and stopped there. I felt like I was having a better time than I would have had wasted. Probably won't have another drink for a couple weeks.

My goal is to be mostly or completely AF for a few months while I fix up the rough patch in my life that led me to start overdoing it. I'll consider my moderation goals closer to that time. Looking to interact with like-minded individuals.

Best,
    -A.

Hi, A,

I totally understand where you are coming from, and share many of those feelings as well. I haven't had a drink since 7/7/12, but, like you, think it's a powerful choice, not a powerless one. I'll write to you privately to express a few other thoughts, but want to invite you to the October Moderators thread. There's quite a few great folks that post in the monthly thread, and we're always welcoming more.

One of the things that has helped me is the hypnotherapy CD's they sell in the store here. Actually, the one that came with the six week extreme starter kit (mostly vitamins and herbal supplements) was good enough, I feel like the additional ones I bought were very repetitive and a waste of money. The message of the hypnotherapy helped me re-program my brain into believing that alcohol doesn't enhance, it detracts...

Good luck, and keep up the good work. Reply to my private message, or join us and reply in the October moderators thread.
    :welcome:

D
    Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
    When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Welcome, Bond Girl!

Good for you for taking control of a part of your life that may have been giving you a challenge...your relationship to booze! As you noted, there are as many approaches to this issue as there are people, and one of the terrific things about this website is that here many solutions are presented.

I second DTs recommendation of the hypno CDs...they REALLY helped me alter my thinking, which IMO is a key factor in how we approach alcohol. I also use the drink tracker, as it gives me a sense of satisfaction to track my progress.

Last but never least, I read, read, read on this site...especially in the Tool Box and the My Story section. almost every single day I find a quote or a story which helps me to keep my perspective on the place I want alcohol to have in my life.

good luck, and keep us posted on your activities ... FF
      . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
      X