Early April AA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early April AA Thread

Hi Everyone: I wanted to start a new AA thread before the old one gets too unwieldy. I just wanted to let you all know that I'll be away from MWO for a week. I'm going to visit my mom tomorrow afternoon. I have an AA meeting list for the town I'll be in. I've already been to meetings there & enjoyed them. The wonderful aspect of AA that I really love is that I can go anywhere & find a meeting. I immediately feel a part of the fellowship, as the basics are the same everywhere. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Early April AA Thread

enjoy your trip mary!

good day to everyone to come...

day 171 is turning out to be a weird day...i slept all morning and have not had any ambition! oh well, sometimes you need a day to just veg, i guess!

i was at a 90 minute meeting last night and kind of felt...blah about it. like, "wow, i am going to go to these meetings for the rest of my life, i better make sure they are worthwhile!" i definitely want to start paring back on the number of meetings i go to a week. i go to about 4-5 now, but i think 2-3 would be just fine. i have a sponsor meeting and a book study in there as well...i don't want to burn out on aa and quit going to meetings because they are my life's blood, and i really think they are what keeps me on the right path, moreso than sponsor meetings and book studies. if my sponsor didn;t require it, i wouldn't go to a book study!
    the topic was from the dr's nightmare story about helping others and giving away what we have. i am scared to death of being a sponsor, but know that i have a great teacher in my own sponsor, so really all i have to do is do what she did for me...why is it so scary!? when i am done with the steps, i will open my heart to it and see what happens...for now i will work on giving away what i have in the best way i can now.

hope you all have a nice sober day!

peace
    10-06-2012

Comment

Early April AA Thread

BG: Not all meetings are equally good & rewarding. That said: I usually get something out of the most disfunctional meetings. This morning's meeting wasn't completely to my liking, & I ended up leaving during the break, as I have much to do today. However, I did get something out of the part I sat through.

Deter: As you go along in AA, you'll begin to understand how the steps work. I stayed after the meetings & asked questions. I finally got a sponsor. She was someone w/lots of years in the program. She helped me through the steps...I know I couldn't have done them wo/her. Good luck!

M
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Early April AA Thread

yeah, i know, and i get alot out of meetings i don;t particularly want to go to. that's the nature of it, eh!?

i was talking to a woman after the meeting this morning and she is on antibuse right now because she needs it. she is monitored at work (shes a nurse), so she absolutely can;t drink or she'll lose her job. her sponsor dumped her because of that which i thought was really crappy. the only requirement is a desire to stop drinking...she has that, she just needs support medically. what about all the hardcore smokers who puff away in the middle of the meetings (outside), they are using a cruth...i just think that's really not cool. whatever it takes.

anyway, it was great meeting...i talked to alot of people i don;t normally get a chance to, and it was neat. really felt receptive and open to learning today...chose not to speak when i was called on because i felt like everyone was sharing such good stuff, and i didn;t have much to say. i'm glad i know when to keep my mouth shut

peace!
        10-06-2012

Comment

Early April AA Thread

Hello friends!
          All is well in SA, leaves are starting to fall, the sun wakes up a bit later, and the swallows are leaving...
          Today I am a grateful alcoholic, I am loving my program, and it feels like all is starting to make sense!
          I went for an interview yesterday: the job is VERY exciting, amazing opportunities, I like the company, and money might be better than what I thought....
          Overnight I gained 3 sponsees, my first!!! Odd bunch, the one lady has been sober almost 2 years, but never worked her program, the other one has been in AA for 3 years, but battles to stay sober, she also hadn't done any steps. The 3rd girl was supposed to go to rehab, but decided to give AA and meetings a go 1st.
          So, exciting times!!!
          Be loved!!
          Sol xx

Comment

Early April AA Thread

Happy Easter!
            If you want to know what I am doing this long week-end, look at www.aasouthafrica.org!
            I am so looking forward!
            Hugs,
            Sol xxx

Comment

Early April AA Thread

interesting

bettygirl;1482914 wrote: enjoy your trip mary!

good day to everyone to come...

day 171 is turning out to be a weird day...i slept all morning and have not had any ambition! oh well, sometimes you need a day to just veg, i guess!

i was at a 90 minute meeting last night and kind of felt...blah about it. like, "wow, i am going to go to these meetings for the rest of my life, i better make sure they are worthwhile!" i definitely want to start paring back on the number of meetings i go to a week. i go to about 4-5 now, but i think 2-3 would be just fine. i have a sponsor meeting and a book study in there as well...i don't want to burn out on aa and quit going to meetings because they are my life's blood, and i really think they are what keeps me on the right path, moreso than sponsor meetings and book studies. if my sponsor didn;t require it, i wouldn't go to a book study!
              the topic was from the dr's nightmare story about helping others and giving away what we have. i am scared to death of being a sponsor, but know that i have a great teacher in my own sponsor, so really all i have to do is do what she did for me...why is it so scary!? when i am done with the steps, i will open my heart to it and see what happens...for now i will work on giving away what i have in the best way i can now.

hope you all have a nice sober day!

peace
              interesting remarks [burnout]something i learned with AA a long time ago,is slow and easy , easy to say but hard to do,as far as being a sponsor i dont think they recommend it in the 1st few years,if ever, someone has to feel comfortable in what they do,and stable b4 they do it,that could take years b4 you even reach that level, concentrate on You my dear and things will work out fine

Comment

Early April AA Thread

thanks gyco!
                sol, that link didn't work for me, but it looks like an aa weekend? how was it?
                morning aa'ers, hope everyone is well, and mary is having a fantastic trip...

I had two big aa days the past couple of days...went to two meetings yesterday, and got a lot out of both of them. our regular morning group has sort of come alive lately with the addition of some new energetic women who want to have potlucks and stuff, so that's fun! I wouldn't mind doing more aa stuff that isn't all meeting related. I also went to my home group meeting last night, and that was fun. we are definitely not a glum lot, and always have poignant and heartfelt talks in there.

I got a wild hair (pun intended) and went to a local Aveda salon and got all my hair chopped off. I had hair down to the middle of my back (all one length) and got a pixie razor cut. it feels great and I swear, the compliments are almost embarrassing. people are so kind, and really know how to make a girl like her new do! I feel liberated (not that I was a slave to style or that I even ever styled my hair before!), but it feels good to not have anything on my neck or that I have to put up when I work out...it goes well with all the big changes I've had in life recently.

anyway, I hope everyone is well, and sober and enjoying this lovely early spring day, unless you are in the southern hemisphere like sol, then a lovely early fall day to you!
                10-06-2012

Comment

Early April AA Thread

Good morning all... happy April fools to all.
                  This is also a really positive and inspiring thread, thank you! I was just sitting here thinking 'isn't the internet amazing? all of these people communicating from all over the world in a common effort to set their lives on a positive track'. i find it wonderful.

i woke this morning w/headache and terrible back pain. i think it must be some weird virus. i was in bed almost all day yesterday, not normal for me at all.

well, maybe it will make me sit tight and spend more time around mwo... which is always a good thing.
                  March: 23 days AF, April 26 days AF, May _23_ AF days
                  May 29: back to day 1
                  June: The battle continues......

Comment

Early April AA Thread

I hope you are feeling better, winter. sounds rough! and yes, it is amazing that we can all converge here and support and discuss our lives and changes...really cool!

it is very spring like here today in Washington state! it was in the mid 70's and the magnolias are blooming, the cherry trees are singing, and there are little wildflowers all over the trail I run on...truly a happy time to be sober and appreciative of it all. nature is truly my place of sanctuary.

I went to a really nice 90 minute meeting last night. the topic was forgiveness and it was really lovely. sort of an intimate sharing night, everyone seemed to be more open and caring than usual, even. there are two older women (like almost 80 years old) in the group, whom I just adore. they are wise and humble and just make the whole meeting a lovely thing...I really appreciate their shares and hugs. they have always welcomed us whippersnappers, and made us feel loved and valued as members...I want to always make newcomers feel that way. they have taught me well!

anyway, I just came in for a bit of work on the old computer and am ready to go back outside! I can't get enough of this sunshine!

have a great evening/day/night all!

peace
                    10-06-2012

Comment

Early April AA Thread

G morgen... yes BettyGirl- what a strange sleep I had. Lots of back and torso pain now. Not sure what this is all about? Internet says not to freak out as my symptoms are very common especially after 40 (bummer - this better not be what it is like?). Anyhow, I think I am going to force myself to go to the gym. I actually felt quite a lot better yesterday afternoon after a long doggie walk.
                      Today is day 25 for me- a couple of hiccups in between, but I do think I am doing pretty good.
                      Ugh. There is a class in less than an hour- best to get going I think I will feel better after.
                      Hubby (almost officially) has gone to work today, so we are on to a new phase in our lives.
                      I think I will be around a bit more often the coming days.

Comment

Early April AA Thread

more power to ya! i love working out now, and have been doing so with rigor and relish! it feels good to be active and not hungover all the time, doesn't it!? i swear i wasted so much time making myself feel like shit, but i can't change that, only the future...ONWARD!
                        i worked out for an hour today, walked the dogs, and went to an eye dr appointment (another thing i neglected for soooo many years, my health check-ups!). i found out i could get glasses if i want, but don;t need them, per sey. i have a slight astigmatism, and corrective lenses would help, but only a bit, as my vision is 20/20. this getting older isn;t for the faint hearted, eh winter? i turn 42 this year...meh, it's only a number! i opted out of getting glasses, even though there were some kick ass ray bans that made me feel like rachel maddow when i put them on!

anyway, tomorrow is a big AA day for me, i have a morning meeting and a book study with my sponsor and another woman.

take care all! hope to see some other folks chiming in soon

in peace
                        10-06-2012

Comment

Early April AA Thread

well, today is 180 days for me...kind of a milestone, I guess? sure does feel good.

peace!
                          10-06-2012

Comment

Early April AA Thread

bettygirl;1487210 wrote: well, today is 180 days for me...kind of a milestone, I guess? sure does feel good.

peace!
                            Wow, that is something to be proud of!! Amazing. And I agree with about all the wasted time spent being hungover. I am just ambling along and trying to gather my days together. Today I am feeling strong, but decided to check in anyhow 'just in case.' This site does help to remind me it is important that I stick to my plan. It does matter. I have my last Dutch lesson tonight for a while, whoopie! (( Back still hurts though... weird!))

Comment

Early April AA Thread

BG, 180 days is a big deal in my opinion. Good for you.
                              I'm in Bogota this week, no AA meetings, but doing fine.
                              Love and Peace,
                              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Working...
                              X