PDA

View Full Version : Back to basics

wwbarb
April 5th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Time to get back to the business of moving again. I know that's the key for me. Would love some company.

This morning I did a portion of a new cycling tape that I bought. Unfortunately, my bike needs some adjustments before I can really use this, so this will be (another) project for my husband. I'm going to take a walk to finish off what I started.

Who else is moving today?

April 5th, 2007, 10:08 AM
barb,I wished you lived close to me. I need a workout partner. I have been doing really well the past 2 year pilates, running 1 hour a day.Then Wham I caught the flu was out for 3 weeks and haven't had the energy to start again It's been 7 weeks now. This is so unlike me. I had blood work done last week to find out why. Haven't heard anything yet,but I was bitten by a deer tick 2 years ago had the works, big bulls eye rash fever etc. Took tetracycline. Thought it was gone. I assume WW stands for weight watchers I read your profile. Does the point system really work, I thought about doing it online. good for you for doing some of your workout. I have been up for 5 hours NADA! This sucks
Keep Trying
Mary

wwbarb
April 5th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Yep, WW is Weight Watchers. I've been a lifetime member for almost 11 years and have been working for them for almost 9 as a leader and a receptionist.

The true beauty of this program is that you are making choices, not sacrifices. This is a four-tiered program: eat wisely, move more, think first, use the support system. "Think first" is actually based on neuro-linguistic programing and uses ten "tools for living" to help you change your mindset from "sacrifice" to "choice". It also helps you change bad habits to good habits. It's just like drinking; if you try to "get rid of" the bad habit, you leave an empty hole that needs to be filled with something. For many of us, it is booze again. Same thing with eating habits - if you just give up something, you leave a hole. You have a choice to purposely fill the hole with something else, or it will fill itself, and you might not like the results.

I personally recommend the meeting. Yes, the points system really does work, as does the "no counting" plan. So does every plan out there. The key is to follow it - the only way you can do that is to enjoy the foods you choose and to enjoy the benefits of weight loss more than the temptations of whatever throws itself in your path. I've begun to see high fat, high sugar items as distasteful because theywon't get me what I really want, a fit, healthy lifestyle. It takes a lot of support and mind set retrospection to come to that conclusion. This is much easier to do in a non-threatening group environment. It's been scientifically proven that people who attend meetings lose three times as much weight as those who try to do it on their own.

Guess I'll step down from my soapbox now and practice what I preach!

wwbarb
April 5th, 2007, 10:54 AM
By the way, good luck with the bloodwork. The whole thing sounds like one of those strange things that happens rarely and it sucks when it happens to you. Could maybe your energy be boosted a little by doing some moderate activity?

morrison
April 5th, 2007, 08:00 PM
If I can chime in:

I've been working out lately, and loving it. The reason, is I workout quick. Instead of going with a long run, I'll jump rope. Instead of doing a lot of reps when llifting, I'll do less reps with more weight. I'm finding this is better for me. It is high intensity, rather than low intensity. I started doing this after reading a body building article. It made two good points.

First - the mental aspect. If you know you have to work out an hour or more, it is easier to do "tomorrow." If you know your workout will only be a half hour, it is much easier to do NOW!

Second - I mentioned jumping rope over jogging. Why? It will wear you out, and wear you out quick. That is why boxers do it. Great cardio. It is similar to sprinting. So, if you look at a sprinters body compared to a marathon runners body, who is built better? The Sprinter.

I found that I'm doing better with the high intensity stuff. The article mentioned that a lot of people over work, and hurt themselves in the long run. I just wanted to remind you that you don't have to do 2 hours a day, 7 days a week to get good results. Hope this helps if you're like me and want results with the least amount of work. :)

Arial
April 6th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Thanks Morrison - really like the suggestions!

I also find it difficult to put in the length of time - am finding it difficult to get beyond the half hour run - time in the gym has to be limited to about 40 mins as I lose interest so like you I go for the higher intensity - I've also found that if I exercise hard one day I need the next day off or doing something else to allow the body time to recover - so yesterday I worked intensively on the upper body whereas today I will go for a run for the cardiovascular/lower body. Tomorrow cycling - I also like the mix - doing the same thing day after day I find too monotonous.

SimeyBear - I really hope you're up and feeling tons better soon - it's horrible when you have no energy so good luck!

WWBarb - thanks for the synopsis of WW - I have a friend who's just started and i'm really anxious to see how she gets on. It certainly sounds a good approach to weight loss. Hope you enjoy your walk today - it's beautiful spring weather here so the outdoors is definitely beckoning! Unfortunately stuck in work for a few hours first, but then on with the trainers and off on the trails! Sorry I can't join you:)

Happy 'moving' everyone - enjoy those endorphins!:)

AAthlete
April 6th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Okay, just my two cents on what works for me (and me only - everyone needs to find their niche). I think that you need to listen to the body type you have and determine if you are a fast-twitch type of person (sprinters & lifters) or a slow-twitch person (endurance athletes).

I am one of those people who HATES to be cooped up exercising indoors. Give me a long run or ride outdoors anytime - some of my cycling rides go 4-5 hours on the weekend! However, as a competitive athlete I've always been taught that the things you are the least efficient at are the things you need to work the most. For me, that means building weight lifting into my workouts. Not a lot, but enough to realize gains that will help me in my cycling.

A lot of it is conditioning and LISTENING to your body. Too many people make the mistake of going too hard on easy days, and then getting burnt out and going too easy on the hard days. If you are fatigued and don't feel like working out, then take the day off - if something hurts then don't exercise it.

Arial is right - variation can be the key to success when exercising. Do too much of one thing and your body stops adapting. In the end, it shouldn't feel like work, no matter what you are doing. Find something that you enjoy, do it in moderation, and live a healthy and happy life!

wwbarb
April 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM
It took me a long time to learn that every workout does not have to be a marathon. If I'm having a "lazy day" I do a lighter workout and don't beat myself up for it. Otherwise, I am going to push myself too hard and have a lousy rest of the day. Also, variety is key - I agree.

I am an indoor loving exerciser. I read a book on the bike or listen to my IPOD and all of the sudden, I am done. I love the feel of my muscles straining from lifting, and the only competition I like is myself.

It's key to know yourself enough to come up with a plan. If we tried to trap AA in a gym, he'd find a million excuses not to workout. If you tried to get me to ride a non-stationary bike, I'd fall off and never get on again - or get chased by a dog. You have to love it to do it.

By the way, AA, I am originally from Chgo - south suburbs.

Determinator
April 6th, 2007, 04:46 PM
oh, this isn't fair...the weather is great this weekend, you all are talking about cycling etc and my stupid knee is still dorked. Waaaaaaa!
I really miss my jiu jitsu classes the most. It's one of the few exercises I can do on a regular basis and never get bored, and the movements are so varied.
regarding diet, I have a bone to pick with the antiquated diet metality that insist that eating fat makes you fat (while they eat tons of low fat carbs that throws the body into an insulin spiked weight-gaining frenzy)....oh well...lot's of money in the diet schemes. Since I stopped eating the "fluffy carbs" like chips, bread, pasta, cookies the weight is so much more manageable and I eat whenever I want. I consume enormous quantities of olive oil and other fats as I watch the weight fall off. I've never counted a calorie and don't intend to. I also don't own scales. I don't care what I weigh as long as I feel and look the way I want to and have the mobility and range of movement to accomplish what I love to do. At least that's what works for me.

morrison
April 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Maybe Spoke to soon:

AAthlete nailed this good. Some people will actually enjoy the 4-5 hour workout, especially if it relates to their hobby and things they truly enjoy doing. My cousin just told me he is training for a marathon. A full 26 miles. I couldn't comprehend doing that training. We are all different. I have the mesomorph body type. AAthlete, does that mean a fast-twitch type of person? Cause the high intensity workout seems great for me. It actually gives more more energy, and doesn't burn me out when I do intense and short training. So, I guess I shouldn't have really posted what I did above, because it won't work for everybody. The best thing, as AAthlete mentioned, is trying to find something you enjoy. Then its a win/win situation. Oh, but no matter what, always stretch, and warm-up. That will help avoid injurires. Lots of water too to prevent cramping. AAthlete could probably give some more tips on this.

Determinator. That sucks. I'm just recoving from a nasty groin injury that had me unable to do what I want for months. I hope you get better soon. Try not to rush anything though.

Determinator
April 7th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Morrison I'm curious too...I was under the impression that all people had both fast and slow twitch muscle types...hmmm. AAthlete ????

groin injury? Ok, I'm not complaining about my knee anymore. yow!

AAthlete
April 7th, 2007, 12:46 PM
You're correct in that people have both. However, people inherently have either more fast twitch or more slow twitch muscles. And, depending on the type of muscle that predominates, an athlete will either be better at endurance events or quick, speed events.

In all likelihood, you already have gravitated to the type of event that you are suited for - it just feels better to you.

Speaking of, getting ready to head out and use my slow twitch muscles for a two hour ride in 15 degree wind chills. Wish me luck (my wife thinks I'm crazy)!!

morrison
April 7th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Good luck AAthlete. Thanks for the feedback. I wish I had your desire. I'm thinking about getting into climbing. I'm thinking that is one way I can get more cardio and not get bored.

Mary Anne
April 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM
climbing

I just got back from a hiking trip in Moab UT, sort of near you morrison, climbing those mountains and trails was a great workout.(hope that is the climbing you were talking about)

I am sitting here trying to figure out what kind of "twitch" I have!? i am just getting old, have a bad knee but still insist on working out at least 3-5 days a week, lift alot of weights and pretty much eat healthily without really "following" a diet....The weight has dropped off since I put down the Miller lite though, not a drop since 2/18, and frankly, I hurt alot less now and can(and enjoy)working out alot!!

Just had to put my 2 cents in.............miss everyone, it has been about a month since I have read or posted!!:confused: Just been busy I guess!!

Mary Anne:h

morrison
April 7th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Yes Mary Ann

That was the type of "climbing" I meant. Also, I used to drink a ton of Miller Lite, and my last drink was 2/13. Interesting coincidence.

Mary Anne
April 8th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Happy Easter!!

Yeah, Morrison, we are neck and neck!! I am finding it easier w/ time, and focusing on fitness/other things to make my life more positive! Happy climbing when you get started! It was beautiful/challenging to be out there in the desert mountains enjoying the beauty you have there!! Here is pretty flat, some rolling hills, we hardly do any hiking, let the horses do all the work I guess (not too much exercise for the rider?)

I am BORED out of my mind this AM, as the gym is closed and it is a bit chilly yet to go riding! I cannot really run because of my knee, ususally do the eliptical machine at the gym to avoid the impact.

Happy easter to all that follow!!

Mary Anne:h :l

tea
April 8th, 2007, 02:19 PM
How on earth do you get motivated??

Mary Anne
April 8th, 2007, 03:09 PM
the feel good feeling!?

I think it is the endorphins that keep me at it.....ask just about anyone, once I get motivated and off my A** to do it(work out), I thank myself when it is all through and I feel better.

ALSO, I like being thin, was chunky while drinking, and feel sooooo much better thin, so I want to stay that way!!:h

MA:h :l

Saint Jude
April 8th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I used to go over to Moab quite often when I lived in Colorado, it's only about a 2 hr drive from Telluride... and a whole diff climate. In the springtime we used to ski in Colorado in the morning & head down to Moab to the desert for kayaking & hanging out on the Colorado River beaches. It's so beautiful in the spring especially. The hiking & Mt biking is great too.

Speaking of chunky... I just finished easter brunch with Grandma ... feelin pretty chunky right now!:confused: Trying to get thin for Florida next week... Oh well. It doesn't seem to be working. I'll just wear a mumu the whole time! Tie it around my waist on the kayak!:cool:

Mary Ann, you sound great! Hopefully we can meet up in Florida next week! I've still got your #.

Mary Anne
April 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM
JUDIE!!!!

Where will you be in FL??? I will make a drive to meet you somewhere!! I may just hold on to the package and hand deliver to you (re: PM) Yeah, isn't Moab beautiful?? How lucky you are (those of you out west)to have the best of both worlds!! It is either hot and humid or cool and dry here,but I do love it still:rays:

MA

Trevor
April 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM
tea;119154 wrote: How on earth do you get motivated??

Last year I was going walking/running with my friend but he's working evenings now.

It's much easier to train with someone and I also find I'm less likely to make up an excuse and not go.

I just wish there was someone I could go for walks with!!!!

Java
April 8th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Thats what I do. I am quite fond of exercise...but even those of us who love it can find excuses not to do it!! The best way to get motivated is to make an appointment to meet someone...then you have to cancel with that person to be able to get out of the workout...if you can't find someone who will work out with you on a regular basis out of your circle of friends go to your local runners/walkers store (fleetfeet is a good one if you have that store) they will have contact numbers of groups of people looking for partners or add ins. You can always place a personal ad...if you think I am kidding I am not, some people have wierd schedules, and the only way to sind someone to work out with them with the same schedule is an ad...I am lucky, I have a friend to work out with, but if you dont I highly suggest you get one, there us no better motivation than watching someone else have to do that workout too!!!

Rags
April 9th, 2007, 02:44 AM
What an interesting thread this has turned out to be!
Heaps of information.
Barb, your WW info was very good. I rang Ww last year and they STILL haven't put together a vegetarian plan. And that's the only reason I haven't joined them. I do eat meat, but only once a week or fortnight. I know that only about 10% of the population is vegetarian, but it is something perhaps WW coulkd start lookingat. Meantime I get the Sanitarium newsletter which has veg. meals in it. Have dropped 6 kilos in 6 weeks. (Then went on holiday and put a kilko back on).

AA, I'm definitely a slow twitch person. But having taken a very bad fall on my last (thankfully) day skiing and given myself mild concussion and nasty whiplash, I haven't touched any weights for 10 days. Having some intensive physio, and will be up on my bike next week. And back to aerobics tomorrow.

Morrison, Does jumping rope exercise as many muscles and parts of your body as jogging would? Not that I intend to do it, but an interesting question. I just thought that boxers jumped rope to learn fine foot movement, co-ordination and balance (as well as a bit of exercise).

morrison
April 9th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Here you go Rags

Rags, these are just a couple paragraphs I ripped off from health site:

Many athletes use it to develop power in their joints and muscles. Boxers are known to favor rope jumping, which helps them train for proper balance and coordination. In fact, whatever type of fitness program you may have, you can probably get better results by adding rope jumping to your training, though it is not for people who cannot stand high impact exercises.

And,

It is an effective type of fat burning exercise. About 10 minutes of jumping rope will burn off as many calories as 30 minutes spent running.

I like the second part. Basically, if you do enough revolutions with the rope, you can get the same results in one/third the time of running. So, if you are like me, and like to get the workout done quick, I'll take jumping rope over running. :jumpin:

Rags
April 9th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Thanks Morrison,
Having said I wasn't going to do it, I may just go grab a piece of old climbing rope and cut off a couple of metres !
10 mins = 30 mins appeals to me.

morrison
April 9th, 2007, 05:13 PM
You'll need some breaks

Rags, you'll know what I mean when you start. I didn't jump rope in the longest time. I got a speed rope the other day at the store, and could only do a couple minutes. I'd like to work up to 10 straight, but it isn't going to be easy. You'll see what I mean. At first, you'll probably have to do a little until you get tired, then go back and do some more. 10 min straight is tough. Please post back to let me know. Good luck.

Rags
April 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Hi Morrison,
Thanks for the warning.
I don't expect to get too far as I'm not fit. I'll just work at it little by little. I'll probably do 20 seconds, pause 30 seconds, then 20 seconds more and work it that way. If I get to 2mins total skipping in the first few days I'll be happy. Then gradually build up. Yep, I'll let you know how progress is going. I have a possible heart problem so can't push it too hard. Have to keep my pulse about 120 - 125. 130 is getting too high for me, but I get there quite fast as I am unfit and overweight. Hey, you've inspired me. I think I'll make up a spreadsheet to monitor myself. Morrison, between you and AA I may actually get fit!!!

Thanks,
Fran.

Mary Anne
April 12th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Go Fran!!

I think you will do great, I think between you and I we would be ok jumping rope (??) I, with my knee, you w/ your heart! I wish you the best as you get started, keep this this thread posted as to your progress!

I have been "jogging" on the eliptical, that burns alot of calories and gets my hr up pretty high.....no impact for my knee, so I enjoy that............

Happy fitness to you all!:l

MA

ScoobyDoo
April 13th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Well, I just went for a slow trot around the block with the dog and after reading this thread am doing a search for a local 10km race for motivation.

Doo

ScoobyDoo
April 13th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Morrison, is a 'speed rope' a brand? Did you buy it from a sports store? This is sounding good!

morrison
April 14th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Speed rope

Doo, a speed rope is just a jump rope, but it is designed to be able to swivel very quickly, so you can jump at a very fast pace. You can even swivel the rope twice per jump occasionally, but this takes practice. If you have ever seen boxers training, you would see they usually are not just using a plain piece of rope. They are able to swing the speed rope very quickly and do variations of jumping to make the workout more intense. I just grabbed the speed rope because I was at the sports store, and it was there for 5 bucks. I got it at the Sports Authority. Don't know if they have those in Australia or not, but I'm sure you can find something. Anyway, a speed rope really isn't necessary to get a good workout, but it will allow for a very intense workout if you want. I am far from being in boxing shape myself. I like to use it though, as it works me out quick. Try it. You'll be huffing and puffing in no time if you're not used to it. Let me know. Thanks.

ScoobyDoo
April 15th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Cool. I've just ordered one through ebay. This will be good to use with the ipod, for sure!

Thanks!

Doo