Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af Thursday 25 July

MAE abby-liners!
    How are we all today - still on Wednesday as I write? Well don't rush it - enjoy each day.

Mick - hope your phone is working. I bet its freezing now in the UK - weather there is so up and down -like here - just that we have consistently higher temperatures. My nephew in London tried to tell me that the UK was much warmer than NZ.

Lav - I won't ask about the job. I am not obsessing about cholesterol as I found something new to worry about on Google. A recipe for fish soup! Not sure what to replace the white wine with. Needs to be liquid, acidic but tasty and not too strong.

No Sugar and June - good to see you and don't be strangers! Just prattle on like the rest of us - weather reports and surgery updates with a bit of existential stuff thrown in.
    And if you have a twinge, a craving, a crisis - we can be really sensible and supportive. Thats the good thing with being a group scattered around the world - usually someone on line.

Cinders - has your acute pain gone away? How's the hubby this week? Did your son stay off the booze? Lots of questions there.

Lav - what kind of gym is Curves? can you tell us what works for you?

Pauly - hope you are staying hydrated with lots of water!

PPQP - is this week any better? I had meetings yesterday - more today but they are not creepy meetings!:k Thats next week for me!

Det - on the road again? Bet you listen to a lot of music in the car? or radio? Lots of podcasts these days that are really cool. Plenty of boring ones too!

Lots of questions -but one answered. Yes, Mick they did call him George! So original and predictable. I do like the name Alexander - always have.

Big waves to all :wavin: brilliant sunny good to be alive day here! Hope yours is too my dears!

af Thursday 25 July

MAE all from a really sunny Grande Bretagne!!!!rained during the night ,sunny and hot now...just what the plants ordered.
    Finally phone is working...got so much on it ...I think it even makes phone calls too, so Im sure there is lots of experimenting ahead with that.Still got the probs with the field mice in the garden...they are tunnelling in from thev fields outside and under the ground...quite a few tunnels in the beds at the back and side....never had this one before so something must be bringing them in.They have got the edge at the moment ,I like them slightly better than cats!!

Morning TT hows you today then?ok? very warm over here again today ,nice though!Glad the cholestoral thingy hasnt taken over what will be will be..Fish soup? dont like the sound of that, but probably very nice.

Morning Lav...how are you today?extreme babysitting/dog sitting going ok?only 3 days a week, isnt it so today should be a rest day for you ...so have a brew and chill..Hope Amy is better with babies than she is cars....she phoned up last night to say that the garage were looking for another engine for her car..if they cant get one, then its cheaper to scrap it than repair it!!!Rest of the call was unsaid, but read into it...you dont have to be that clever to work it out!!!:H Now that is sad ..when you have to escape to the shops for a break!!!

Morning YAH..... how are you today?Still getting all ready for Maddie coming home? interesting times ahead!!!deep breaths...dont forget..she may be your daughter, but she is also growing up with her life opinions etc so things her way will be different from yours..he says trying to pour oil on the waters already!!Have you heard about the job yet? hope its a yes for you.More storms forecast for today later on.As for the half cup measure...get an oversize cup half fill it..and there you go!!

Hiya June how are you?cmon in ..join in there is no rule says you have got to be here so long before you can comment on things going on.

Morning No Sugar ..how are you ?same goes jump in ..join in ..the more the merrier....and by the way CONGRATULATIONS ON SIX MONTHS :goodjob: you kept that quiet!!

Oh yeh TT...dont we just remember your starts in the mad time zones when started on this thread!!!!

Hiya Pauly,how are you this morning? good i hope...supplements? I dont take any..drink lot a cranberry juice and a couple of those wee cholestoral busting(allegedly)drinks per day and thats it.Meds..got off them all bar one,which I will need to take for ever..for high blood
    pressure ..even though it goes really low..its the just in case syndrome, cos I have got a faulty head :H and if the pressure gets too great my head will explode!!!thats not quite the medical definition but along those lines!! you have a great day

Morning ppqp..hows you today ? Welcome to trowelling Thursday!!still busy busy?here you go have a brew.How did weed Wednesday go? Good idea,name sounds a bit dodgy tho..load of grannies on spliffs!!:H
    watch the cops dont get in on it!!hows the garden going?Ive had my fist big red tomatoes off...oh and 14 courgettes and 9 cucumbers!!!and theres more..meals are now based round how would you like your courgettes!!

Evenin blondie hows you then?Puter fixed yet? get this little guy to help!!! :hateputer AAs for the phone ..off and running with that one...yeh right!!

hiya Det 8 ours on the road jeez man defo time for a gym sesh and sleepsville..amazes me how you managed to do it after a bevvy and still look the part.Must take its toll somewhere.Remember in the forces heavy drinking sessions till early doors and then going for 10/15 mile runs with 75lb packs on as a squad...cant remember ever falling out though feeling seriously crap and being sick on the way ..trick was to do that without stopping or breaking step or you were history once you stopped that was you ..you wouldnt start again..and we wonder why our bodies get sore and tired as we get older????

Right my merry band of boozebusters have a good one C YAWL..or summat like that!!

Two robbers were robbing a hotel.
    The first one said, ?I hear sirens. Jump!?
    The second one said, ?But we?re on the 13th floor!?
    The first one screamed back, ?This is no time to be superstitious.?

A lawyer opened the door of his BMW, when suddenly a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely.
    When the police arrived at the scene, the lawyer was complaining bitterly about the damage to his precious BMW.
    ?Officer, look what they?ve done to my Beeeeemer!!!?, he whined.
    ?You lawyers are so materialistic, you make me sick!!!?, retorted the officer. ?You?re so worried about your stupid BMW, that you didn?t even notice that your left arm was ripped off!?
    ?Oh my gaaaad??, replied the lawyer, finally noticing the bloody left shoulder where his arm once was.
    ?Where?s my Rolex???!!!?

A man went to the Police Station wishing to speak with the burglar who had broken into his house the night before.
    ?You?ll get your chance in court.? said the Desk Sergeant.
    ?No, no, no!? said the man.
    ?I want to know how he got into the house without waking my wife. I?ve been trying to do that for years!?

A police officer pulls over an elderly female for speeding while driving her husband to a doctors appointment. The officer approaches the vehicle and attempts to explain that he stopped her for speeding.
    She looks at her husband and asks, ?What did he say??
    The husband replies, ?He said he stopped you for speeding.?
    The officer asked the elderly female for her driver?s license and she turned and asked her husband, ?What did he say?
    The husband replies, ?he wants to see your driver?s license.?
    The women hands the officer her license and he sees that she is from his old home town. The officer tells the couple that he remembered the town because he had the worst s*xual experience of his life there.
    The women looks at her husband and asked, ?What did he say??
    The husband replies, ?He says he knows you.?

The Revised Rights of the police

You are under arrest and?.
    1. No, I don?t care who you are.
    2. No, I don?t care who you know.
    3. Yes? you DO pay my salary.
    4. Yes? you CAN have my job.
    5. No, I don?t have anything better to do.
    6. Yes, I DO arrest real criminals sometimes.
    7. No, I am not picking on you because you are black.
    8. No, I can?t give you a break.
    9. No, I don?t know your friend, Officer X.
    10. Yes, you will be allowed to make a phone call.
    11. Yes, I?m sure you will never do it again.
    12. No, we can?t talk about it.
    13. Yes, it DOES make me happy.
    14. Yes, you WILL see me in court.
    Thank you, have a nice day.
    Your Arresting Officer __________

A man was caught for speeding and went before the judge.
    The judge said, ?What will you take?.30 days or $30.?
    The man replied, ?I think I?ll take the money.?

A policeman pulls a man over for speeding and asks him to get out of the car.
    After looking the man over he says, ?Sir, I couldn?t help but notice your eyes are bloodshot. Have you been drinking??
    The man gets really indignant and says, ?Officer, I couldn?t help but notice your eyes are glazed. Have you been eating doughnuts??

How many cops does it take to throw a man down the stairs???
    None. He fell.

A judge grew tired of seeing the same town drunk in front of his bench. One day the judge glared down at the man, who was still intoxicated, and thundered ?It is the sentence of this court that you be taken from here to a place of execution and there hanged by the neck until DEAD.?
    The drunk promptly fainted.
    The court bailiff commenced to reviving the man, and looked up at the judge, at which time the judge shrugged and responded ?I?ve always wanted to do that.?

How many Support staff does it take to change a light bulb?
    ?Wait! Maybe the bulb isn?t broken. Let?s try it again.?
    ?It?s in the manual. Didn?t you read the manual??
    ?The bulb was fine; you just forgot to turn the switch on.?
    ?The light bulb doesn?t work? You must be using a non-standard socket.?
    ?Well, we have an exact copy of your light bulb here and it seems to be working OK. Can you be more specific about the exact problem??
    ?Our engineers are busy at the moment? We have assigned query number 987632 to your question. Please refer to it in all future correspondence.?

The child comes home from his first day at school.
    Mother asks, ?What did you learn today??
    The kid replies, ?Not enough. I have to go back tomorrow.?

God says to Adam, ?I have some good news and some bad news. What do you want to hear first?? Adam says, ?Tell me the good news first.?
    God says, ?I?m going to give you a penis and a brain. You?ll derive from these great pleasure and great intellect.?
    Adam replies, ?Wonderful! But what?s the bad news??
    God says, ?I?m only going to give you enough blood supply to work one at a time.?
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Thursday 25 July

Zuchinni soup!

Comment

af Thursday 25 July

oops Mick, I meant courgette soup.

Comment

af Thursday 25 July

Good morning Abbers!

Cloudy here this morning but the temp & humidity have dropped quite a bit - yay!
          This summer has been a rough one, no kidding.

TT, how about substituting lemon juice for the white wine in your recipe? I also use white wine vinegar sometimes but not if you are on AB. I love soup
          Curves is a ladies only club. The program is designed around circuit training, 30 minutes using hydraulic resistance equipment for strength training & a cardiovascular workout. It's a lot of fun really & they also have just started diet coaching for those wanting help in that department

Greetings Mick, I am on babysitting duty 4 days each week - another two weeks of this to go!

Have to run now - will be back later
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af Thursday 25 July

MAE ALL...

TT...thanks for kicking us off. Things are just about sorted prior my trip and anything else that comes up I'm just going to ignore for now. It's been a meeting free week. :yay:

Mick...thanks for the coffee. When I first got my smart phone it rang and I didn't know how to answer it. :H We didn't get to start the Spiral Herbal Garden as the weather turned too threatening and we packed it in. Interesting you've got field mice for the first time...did you plant something new? Put the little Christmas lights up like Lav did and steer them to the neighbors, YB's might be a little too far away though.

Lav...Hi/Bye...By the sounds of it you don't need curves with the new g/kid watch duty. However if that were true all us Moms would be fit as a fiddle. Enjoy your day.

Det...could you give me a little more info on why a "really" dark room is needed for proper sleep? My sleep has been the pits lately and I think that's adding to the just feel like crap sensation. I read when I go to bed, I think as a way to turn off the 'list' thinking at night but then I fall asleep with the light on and tend to wake several times during the night. At least the waking at 3 am these days is not related to the kidneys kicking in and sweating out the poison of the day. Totally agree that kids do not get dirty enough these days. We were raised on dirt. :H

Did not have a restful sleep last night so really feeling tired this morning. Time for more coffee and jokes. Have a great day all and all to come....PPQP

Comment

af Thursday 25 July

Ahoy ABenators!!!

A little clunky on the iPad here

TTops, I love to experiment with different vinegars in my cooking. Champaign and sherry vinegars are fun.

PPQ, sleep is so vitally important and a complex thing. Just one night of crappy sleep can cause so much metabolic distress as to alter a healthy persons blood work to read as pre diabetic. Really!
              Light ( especially most modern artificial wavelength light) mitigates the bodily regulation of melotonin and other hormones critical in circadian rhythms. Learning to sleep is really a discipline and takes time To dial in. Try wearing blue wavelength blocking sunglasses for an hour before bed, then sleeping in a truly dark room. Use warm (low frequency) lights in the house where possible.

Well, got in some exercise last night and sat at the bar at a noisy restaurant enjoying my pellegrino. On a break between visits here. Client wants to go out for some 'cold ones' tonight so that will be interesting.

Be well family
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

af Thursday 25 July

Ahhh,
                Grandaughter nap time

TT, I meant to mention something. My favorite non-profit informational website for nutrition is:
                Center for Science in the Public Interest

Since I have grown so intolerant of meat & dairy I had to find some way to get my RDAs in SO
                I opted for beans. Despite what Det thinks they are quite tolerable when prepared properly & are rich in fiber, protein, magnesium, potassium, iron, copper & folate. They are low in saturated fat, sugar & sodium. I take a probiotic daily & am a happy camper

PQ, my nocturnal awakenings are always due to hot flashes & are annoying to say the least. You would think at this advanced age this nonsense would stop
                That's why I'm not a fan of this extreme heat & humidity either. Hope you sleep better tonight!
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af Thursday 25 July

MAE Abbers,

Not much time, so just a quick check in. I am baking two desserts for my AA "Birthday" party this evening. One of the birthday boys needs gluten free.

I have just made the most decadent dessert I have ever made.

The crust calls for an oreo cookie crust, but I used crushed corn flakes, butter and sugar instead, so he can eat this.

The rest of it is simply semi-sweet baking bars, whipping cream and raspberry jam melted and mixed together, poured over the crust and chilled.

Later I will put fresh raspberries glazed with the raspberry jam on top.

btw, seedless raspberry jam.

I licked the spoon after I had poured the mixture into the pan. I felt the immediate sugar rush but I also experienced that OMG sensation.

I have a feeling just a little bit of this will go a very long way. :-)

The other cake is a Mississippi Mud cake variation. If my AA friends eat these things, they are all going to get sick and blame me. :-)

Waves to all.

Amazingly, still sober here and loving it.

Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

af Thursday 25 July

Det - I agree with you n the sleep thing and this might well be a missing factor in my health regime. Since stopping AL I sleep far less BUT I am also far less tired and don't feel sleepy during the day. Since post menopause I wake up a lot more (I am nearly 58 years old) in the night and need to go to the toilet more. I do this fairly effortlessly and go straight back to sleep. It is a broken sleep but its much better than in the AL days.

I am lucky to live in an area where there is no outside artificial light or noise. But the moon and stars provide natural night light. This can be disturbing even with dark curtains. Maybe thats the time to go out and play in the dirt - except its too cold!

Lav - I haven't been on AB for months so can consume things with wine in them (as long as the AL is reduced away ) and even when I was on AB I consumed wine vinegar in my salads to no ill effect. The soup I made (with hours of my own home made fish stock) was OK but not wonderful. It had saffron in it - so I was nervous about over seasoning it - result was too bland IMO. Next time I will stick to a Caribbean fish soup recipe I have used. And I too will continue to cook with legumes and beans - esp legumes - they make a great base in soups/patties and don't cause me digestive problems! They are also filling.

Comment

af Thursday 25 July

TT and Lav,

I, too, love legumes. All of them except black eyed peas.

Unfortunately, legumes, oatmeal, corn, rice, potatoes, etc, have a disastrous effect on my hubby's blood sugar. It is odd but we have tested it over and over again and to keep trying the same thing over and over again is insanity.

An example: For breakfast one morning, we took his fasting blood sugar, it was 109. He ate a bowl of homemade real oatmeal that I made, using water and no sugar. Within 30 minutes, his blood sugar was 189. We have seen this pattern, as I said above, over and over again.

I think his body is whacky, and I think he is whacky anyways.

I miss my soups and beans. :-(

I have always had issues with insomnia, TT. My father had it, too. We had no problem falling asleep but could not seem to stay asleep. Some nights, I can only manage four hours worth of sleep. I spend the next day exhausted. Nowadays, I take a 3 mg Melatonin to help me. Using that, despite numerous potty trips, (I am close to your age and female) I manage to get in closer to six hours of sleep. I feel refreshed with that much sleep.

Our room is very dark because hubby is so light sensitive. I have to ensure my path to the toilet is cleared of everything so I don't trip in the night. lol

Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

af Thursday 25 July

Det...thanks for the info. I'll check out those blue wavelength blocking sunglasses. I take a time released melatonin every night but it doesn't seem to do much. Glad you got some exercise in last night and it sounds like 'ice cream cones' tonight?

Lav...thanks for your link. I have it book marked and will be checking it out. I am 57 and my 'change of life' started when I was 45! I do know of one woman who is 71 and still having hot flashes. So you could be onto something there. Hope you caught a bit of a nana nap during the g/daughter nap time.

Cinders...I know where to come for my baking. You yourself are an amazing woman so still sober and loving it just goes hand in hand. Interesting about your hubby's reaction to oatmeal...just the opposite effect on my ex. Just goes to show you 'one size does not fit all'.

TT...I love my soups too but 'fish' soup just doesn't sound appealing. Now clam chowder is a favorite but a clam is not a fish. :H

My day had been going really well till the accountant came in to disagree with my time sheet. Normally I'd just assume she was right and I was wrong but I stood my ground. Turns out she's been doing the Stat pay and Holiday pay wrong ever since she got here. I am grateful that I can now stand up for myself with the confidence I had previously lost to the beast.....PPQP

Comment

af Thursday 25 July

by all means if beans are well tolerated and don't spike your blood sugar (you can only tell by using a glucometer) then eat them in moderation. just please don't be under the impression that they are a direct replacement for meat and eggs for critical human nutrients such as the brain nutrients carnosine, DHA, D3, B12, zinc, CoQ10 and creatine which are exclusive to meat and eggs in any dietarily meaningful way.
                          the B12 contained in beans is an analog form and not bioavailable. worse yet, it blocks the bodies ability to assimilate B12 dietary supplements.

Cindi, I hope your hubby gets back on the 'good food' bandwagon and optimizes his health.
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

af Thursday 25 July

Hi, Det

You certainly have a broad and deep knowledge of nutrition! From your posts I get the impression that it isn't your field of work. (I, for example, never hike around in 105 degree weather :H). Anyway, I agree with the track you're on. The ultimate will be when diets are tailored to a person's genotype because it is clearly not a one-size-fits-all deal. The Big Mistake in my opinion has been to encourage everyone to consume a low-fat, high-carb, grain-based diet --- the 30-year experiment on the US population has shown that while it may work for some people, it is not right for the majority.

I enjoy your posts on the subject - NS

Oh, MAE to all of you and thanks for welcoming me to your thread .

Comment

af Thursday 25 July

:hallo: NS...I think I saw it was 6 months for you CONGRATS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X