AAthlete's Opus (loosely defined)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am honestly not sure where to start, but I needed to get this down (as much for myself as for those of you who may take a tiny morsel of this to heart). I've spent a lot of time reflecting over the last ten days about where my life has been and where I want it to be, and I've come to an important conclusion/decision. I believe that to truly beat this affliction, I need to battle it from every single angle that I can, as hard as I can. My singular goal is to beat this thing and spend the rest of my nurturing my sobriety. Nothing else in the world is as important to me as this is right now.

How do I plan to do this? It is actually pretty simple when you think about it... I plan on continuing spending time on the MWO website, reading stories and posting my thoughts when I can - the camaraderie is unbelievable and I have made a lot of good friends; I plan on searching around to find an AA group that I fit with and then using them to reinforce and support the sobriety that I am 10 days into right now; I plan on returning to the church to actively seek out my spirituality - I've spent too long wandering this earth in search of the meaning of life; I plan on seeing a therapist once every two weeks to rebuild and strengthen my marriage - it has been neglected for too long.

I finally made the decision to admit that I want this part of my life to end. I've talked to my wife, my parents, and my siblings about this issues that I have been having just so that everyone is aware of where I am at. I am no longer ashamed to be who I am. I didn't ask for this any more than someone asks to have cancer - but just like cancer unless you treat it with your heart and soul there is a good chance that it will eventually destroy your life and I'm not willing to let that happen.

I have gained so much from finding this website. Six months ago I was binging on average once every weekend, but have cut down to once every couple of weeks, once a month, or more. I couldn't have done that without the support and encouragement that the people here have offered me, and it hasn't been just the long-time members - I learn a great deal from the people who are brand-new. I encourage anyone who is new to stick around and soak up as much as they can, there is so much that can be learned.

I've also decided to give AA a try. I may not have agreed with the AA sessions that I have been to in the past, but that doesn't mean that I don't think they have something to offer. I will do ANYTHING I NEED TO in my battle against this, and I cannot believe that there is not a group out there of caring and compassionate individuals that I can find. I no longer feel the stigmatism that is attached to drinking too much, nor do I feel the stigmatism attached to going to AA. I'd always associated them with people who had hit rock bottom and had no other way out, but that can't be the case when I think about it logically. There has to be room for a person like me who is a binge drinker as well, I just have to be as open and receptive as I can be to the message they send, and process it in a manner that fits me.

As I look back on my life, there is a common theme in that I've always wondered what my purpose here on earth is. I freely admit that I had moved away from religion many years ago, as I started being concerned with physical proof that He existed. Belief just wasn't enough and I certainly wasn't going to put my faith into something I wasn't sure of. But, I funny thing happened after the last time I drank and tried to hide it from my wife. As I posted, she was extremely upset to the point where my marriage is in jeopardy. As I sat there contemplating my future, I found myself asking God to help show me the way, to help me help myself and my family, and a warm comforting feeling slowly spread over me.

I truly feel that I need that spirituality in my life to complete the pieces of the puzzle. I've been so resistant to it for so long that the barriers run high. I guess that this, as in all other aspects of my life, is simply a wall that I've put up so that I don't have to rely on (or disappoint) anyone.... It's time for those walls to come down.

I do this for myself, but I also do it for my family. I cannot bear the thought of not talking to my wife every day, or waking up with my son in the morning and asking him if he had any good dreams. For too long I've said "just one more time and then I'm done" - well, I'm done. I've sometimes wished that I hadn't drank the last time that I did, but I don't know that I would be in the mental mindset that I am know. I've discovered that there is no magic bullet, pill, or anything else -- you have to WANT THIS more than anything in the world, and BE WILLING to do whatever it takes to get there.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. If you've made it this far thanks for reading and listening. If you're so inclined, please wish me luck on this journey. I am scared of the future, but am also looking forward to it, and I look forward to being able to continue to count you as my friends.

AAthlete
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Dude,

Change is always scary. I'm sure you'll be excellent to yourself.
    And remember: YOU CAN DO IT!!!

-Lorelei
    Suddenly I see
    This is what I want to be
    suddenly I see
    Why the hell it means so much to me.

-KT Tunstall

Comment

AA that was just beautiful. I could relate to so much of what you said. I have absolutely no doubt you will conquer this because you are a strong, strong person. Your family is so lucky to have you. And so are we. Lots of love to you!!!
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

AA, what complete transparency with those you love...amazing.You WILL beat this, my friend. You have an unstoppable attitude, and great motivation. Sometimes it takes some shaking to rock us loose from our complacency. But you are moving forward with a hopeful and positive spirit. I have heard it said that we all have a God shaped vacuum inside us. Most of us try to fill it with things we THINK will inspire us, refresh us. But look how well that works So search out that church, that AA group, the therapist, whatever you need to be whole and healthy again. Sending you luck, strength, and grace for your journey
        Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

AAthlete, You sound refreshed and ready for the next round. Your plan to use all the tools in your toolbox sounds solid. Hit this with all you got from as many angles as you can.

I am worthy.
          I am worthy of my life and
          all the good that is in it.
          I am worthy of
          my friends and their friendship.
          I am worthy of spacious skies, amber waves
          of grain and purple mountain majesties
          above the fruited plain. (I am worthy, too,
          of the fruited plain.)
          I am worthy of a degree of happiness
          that could only be referred to as
          "sinful" in less enlightened times.
          I am worthy of creativity,
          sensitivity and appreciation.
          I am worthy of peace of mind, peace on Earth,
          peace in the valley and a piece of the action.
          I am worthy of God's presence in my life.
          I am worthy of my love.

Copyright ? 1967-1996
          Bloomfield & McWilliams
          * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

Fantastic AA !!! We are all here to support you!!
            Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

hello AA, what a wonderful, honest, sensitive post you have just written. Well, you certainly know which route to take. Its funny you know, but a few years ago, (and i'm not religious either) i was in a very bad situation and i was at a lose as to which way to turn. I went to bed and I prayed to whoever!!! that 'could they please, please help me to help myself to find a way out of this situation' and i also had a warm, comforting feeling over-come me. when i woke up the next day, I knew what i had to do and i did it.

There is tremendous strength in the words you wrote. I do admire you. I can almost feel how much you want this to work. We all have this one life only, so lets make it good. Bellla xxx

Comment

Nicely thought out post AA. With that moindset you could go on to conquer the world! Keep up the good fight and you have fun on the journey as well. I wish you the best.
                Hablur

Comment

AA, what a wonderfully frank and honest post. Having taken such a searching self-inventory there can be no doubt that you will succeed. I know the despair and angst of marital stresses caused by this thing.

Good Luck,

Raoul

Comment

You are asking yourself,
                    as all of us must "who am I"?
                    "where am I"?
                    "Where do I go ?
                    The process of enlightenment is
                    usually slow. But in the end,
                    our seeking always brings a finding
                    These great mysteries are, after all,
                    enshrined in complete simplicity.
                    AA Bill W.
                    wishing you much luck x

Comment

AA, you were one of the first to welcome me here, that was HUGE to Me. As you go on this journey, I know you will do well because you are genuine,compassionate caring and extremly honest.You have a plan and I know you will follow it to the nth degree. You have been inspiration for me and will continue to be.
                      Godspeed My Friend.
                      Smiles Always
                      Mar

Comment

Good for You AA Sounds Like Your Healing Prays are being answered, sounds like your are at a point of surrender I can't You can I let You! Sounds like you have a open head heart and sprit and not putting any conditions on How it will be done ,but sounds like you know Thy Will Be Done! Your The Teacher I am The Student. Please share what you learn each step of the way. as always Tom

Comment

AA your a man on a mission, you have a clear cut goal and all your thoughts aimed at it.

Put it in high gear!!
                          Keep in touch!!

You are the best,
                          Sammys

Comment

AA what a wonderful post.. You come across as so strong and committed, I have no doubt that you will achieve all of your goals and I wish you all the best for your journey..

Love, Louise xx
                            A F F L..
                            Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

AA, that was incredibly honest and inspiring post. Your goals sound like you will win this battle. We are all here to cheer you on!

xo, Mary

Comment

Working...
                              X