Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still trying hard to cut down

:h
    Since I joined MWO, I have been making a strong effort to seriously cut down on my drinking.
    It has not been easy. I have been struggling with myself I still think that I am in some sort of denial even though a part of me knows that I have a problem, not a seriously huge problem, but something that I am definitely having trouble controlling.

A part of me is still wanting to believe that drinking 4 to 5 glasses of wine almost every night is not such a bad thing, and the other part of me gets nervous in social situations (like please stay away from the wine). I guess it's hard to let go of a habit that's gotten out of control.

I have managed to slow down by a small percentage in the last month. I have also tried to not stay too late at gatherings or art openings, that's when the heavy drinkers start their drinking.
    I almost started a new thread last night while I was really drunk, but somehow I managed to keep my drunk fingers off the keyboard. I felt really good about that today. who knows what kind of foolish rude thing I might have posted.

Taking supplements is helping, going to the gym instead of the bar has also been great.
    I have also been lucky that my boyfriend and a very close friend have also decided to cut back.
    I still want a drink and enjoy drinking, but being abusive to myself with wine and liquor till I am slurring and stumbling is no good. How awful that must seem from a sober persons perspective.
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

TrixieT, Stay positive and keep your goal in focus! Dx
    * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

Trixie, I can relate. I too think that 4-5 glasses of wine is not too much but in all reality we know it is. Have you tried for an AF day yet? If you can do one day a week it might really boost your confidence that you can do this and reach the goals you want. Then maybe try for two days a week. I find that successful moderating for me definitely must include AF days during the week. And if you notice you have decreased your drinking that is an excellent first step. Whatever it takes.......good luck!
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Trixie, boy-oh-boy can I relate to what you've just expressed! You just said exactly what goes through my head most days.

I have gone from drinking almost every night to abstaining during the week and drinking just on weekends (apart from when I gave up smoking 4 weeks ago and cut myself some slack for those first 2 weeks of smoke free). I haven't got the weekend drinking under control yet but I'm feeling so much better since being AF for days at a time now. I wouldn't go back!

So what I'm trying to say is that maybe break it down a bit. As Lushy suggested, if you haven't already, try going for just 2 days AF each week, and see what difference it makes to how you feel. Perhaps you're already doing this, I'm not sure. I must add that I do find a huge difference in well being by day 4... which makes me wonder why I even bother drinking on weekends anyway (years of conditioning I suppose).

Another thing that has been helping me is that I have assigned a specific reason for not drinking on week nights and that is so I can be a better mum in the mornings before school, by getting up early. This combined with wanting to feel better for my health sake and then throwing in some exercise and meditation, is really helping me to stay on track. I see this as a big learning curve and I'm determined to get on top of it no matter what it takes. I know it might take me (I'm talking for both of us here) a lot longer to get on top of the weekend binge drinking (ie working through and getting over the denial aspect) but I will keep learning and working out my triggers and rewiring my thinking. It is slowly starting to sink in (I think) that drinking a bottle of wine (or more) on a Saturday night is *not* social, is not good for my relationship with my fiance, is not a good role model for my boys, is not good for my sense of well being, is not good for my body, both inside and out.

Keep coming here (I log in daily) for inspiration and keep on track with analyzing the why's and how's. It's taken us a long time to programme the drinking so I am not expecting instant results for myself, but am determined to get on top of this and am accepting the slow but steady approach.

Doo
        :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

It sucks doesn't it...I can't moderate...I couldn't do it at all. I found 1 ALWAYS became 4-5 to 6-7 to 8-9 and so forth. for some of us AF is the only way. You just have to feel your way around til you find what you are sucessful at. Lots of luck!!!

Comment

Feeling awful, drank a bunch of wine last night. thought I was being clever by saying I bought the wine to go with dinner. (3 bottles? ya!)
            duh! everyone at work must know I was drinking red wine last night.
            thanks for the advice. Looks like I have to , have to go AF for a long time before trying moderation
            trix
            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Trix, everyone is different. I didn't think I could be A/F and I never tried. I would have my daily goal of 12oz of wine. 2 six ounce glasses. At first I felt cheated. they went so fast. But once I started taking my supplements as reccommended, and got cleaver by making spritzer to streach the 12 oz. It became easier. I used to mark the days off like someone in prison. Yesterday was my 3rd moderation month and it's so much nature now that I didn't notice. just find what works for Trixie, that's all I'm saying.
              Smiles
              Mar

Comment

Hi, I also thought I could not go more than 1 day AF but I am now on my 3rd. It is lovely to get up in morning and feel well, not sick, like death and take kids to school sober!!

Don't worry just try at your own pace the 1st step was to admit to a problem - it took me about 10 years to get here!

I would like to drink at weekends but I am scared I will go over the top again so I am going to abstain a bit longer if possible before trying to drink in moderation.

Keep trying, everyone here will support you no matter what
                Angellina
                Just believe - that's all you have to do

:lilangel:

Comment

Hi Trixie,
                  I also can relate to everything you said.It took me years to get here.
                  I can't do moderation, I have been following mwo, and have managed
                  7 weeks af,and feel so good at the moment.
                  Keep trying, and best wishes.
                  Paula x

Comment

Working...
                  X