Woo!!! Hoo!!! I found a Dr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first time I quit drinking with MWO I was taking Topamax I purchased off shore. By the time I reached 250 mg I had absolutely no desire to drink. But, I was having problems remembering things and I missed my soft drinks, and I didn?t get my off shore order done in time to not run out of pills before the next delivery. I decided to slowly move down to no topamax. Big mistake. I did pretty well for a few weeks/months but somewhere along the way I decided it was ok for me to drink a beer now and then. Actually I started with the N/A beer but it was not always around when real beer was so I thought I could handle it. Wrong. Slowly at first and then complete capitulation :licked: I started consuming large amounts of booze. It kind of sneaked up on me, and all the sudden I was not only off the wagon, it was running over me. I knew I was having a hard time handling life; so I tried to get an appointment with a psychiatrist but was told it would be a month or more before I could get in :egad: . I tried to hold myself together and stay on top of my problems, but I had an episode of heavy drinking, major depression / breakdown, and was absolutely not capable of functioning. I still could not get an appointment quicker. I was told the only way I could get immediate attention was to check my self into the hospital mental ward. I didn?t want to do that because to me that is where they put those people who answer yes to ?do you feel like you might hurt yourself or someone else?? I don?t think I want to be that someone else so why would I put myself in that position? So I called the psychiatrist every day sometimes twice or three time a day to ask if they had any cancellations. I was determined to get some help. Finally, (I think the receptionist was tired of me and understood how desperate I was) I found a slot for the next week and was happy to get that opportunity. I saw the Dr. today and he was a blessing from God. He is a recovering Alcoholic himself and understood what I was telling him as if he had lived it. I asked about topamax or campral and he has been using both of these for patients who want to quit drinking. Since I have been AF for 12 days he suggested I take campral, along with Gabapentin and Welbutrin. I took my first two doses of meds today and I feel so much better it is unbelievable. I have been AF long enough that the cravings had already started; but now I feel no compulsion to get drunk. Thank God.

I know this is long, but I feel I should post it. I was reluctant to go to a psychiatrist the first time I wanted to quit drinking. I was embarrassed, felt guilty, and ashamed of what I had become. If only I would have had the courage to go to this Dr. then, I might not have had this mental collapse. I found he wanted to help me any way he could. He was not accusing, confrontational, over bearing, or any of the negative things I had built up in my mind. He wanted to help me. That?s it, he wanted to see me get better and he was willing to do whatever he had to do to help me :happy: . I asked him about taking Vivitrol, and he had a favorable opinion but wants to wait until others have had longer to establish its capability and safety. We are going to discuss it more in detail at our next appointment. I would like it better since now I have to take 6 pills a day and the injection last 4 weeks.

I know I am long winded but the moral of the story is; don?t hold back on going to a psychiatrist because of the things you think might happen. My brain makes up all kinds of scenarios and if I concentrate on them they seem to be reality; but only in my mind. Please if you are just starting out (or floundering like me); go find a Dr who will work with you. Just getting over that barrier will make you feel better about your future.

Thanks for letting me run on, it made me feel better if it did nothing else :rays: .

God Bless
    Bear
    What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
    ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Bear~

I'm so happy for you! Wishing you success......
    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Bear, I remember you posting before and I am so glad to hear of your success. Thanks for posting your story - very inspirational.

Barb

Comment

Oh Bear... that is so wonderful! You are really onto a good thing here!

What did he suggest re the Topa? Has he experimented with oter patients or was it tath he thought topa wasn't appropriate for you?

I'm doing a happy dog dance for you!

Scoob
        :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Bear, I am so happy to read a real success story with doctors and pscyhiatrists. I know it's daunting and I have been there also. I am glad you have found the means to get back to feeling in control and in better health again. Good to see the AF days mounting up too.
          Best of luck for the future.
          Amelia
          Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Scoob, he didn't take topa off the table at all, he wanted to try Campral with Gabapentin first. He is hoping to get the same results without the side effects of Topamax. I have to say the campral and gabapentin worked fast; almost immediately. I compare it to taking weeks for me to reach the same level of not wanting a drink with topamax. He told me he has patients taking topamax as different people react differently to meds. Also, for the first time in months I was able to actually get some rest last night. I only slept about 5 hours, but I actually got some rest. I think that is due to the gabapentin.

"We're Winning" :happy: "We're Winning" (I really love this little guy)

God Bless,
            Bear

Comment

All together now:

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

GO BEAR! Go Bear! Go BEAR!
              :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Good on you, Bear! Medicine is a science. It's progressing, thanks so much for sharing this combination of meds with us.

I was on Campral for a while, it worked well while I was off the booze, but the moment I touched alcohol it all came to nothing. Topa works well with me, as I'm in total control. And I can drink socially, a glass or so, if I choose to do so.
                Paddy
                Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Awesome Bear! I have an appointment this friday with one to get started on Topamax!
                  Hablur

Comment

Wow... thanks Bear and good luck with it. I am looking forward to me half hour chat with my doc tomorrow too. will report back what we decide and what she prescribes.

Good luck to you too Hab! :happy:

Go Bear :happy:
                    :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Thanks for all the support. I must tell you I feel better today than I have felt in years. Even when I was AF before I still had all the "other stuff" on my shoulders. I am almost back to my old self and I am just realizing I really like the old me.

I watched a move "Life of the Party" a couple of weeks ago and it was about a man who was drinking too much. The Dr. on the show said "You know, It's never just the drinking", and that made me think about why I am drinking. I have been drinking or wanting/thinking about drinking for so long I forgot why I drink so much. Now with these new meds I realize the reason I started drinking was a just life experiences. I felt like if I could stay drunk I wouldn't have to deal with my problems. Trouble is when you stay drunk every day, lots of things don't get done and I created my own hell. Any way, I finally think I have found my answer to breaking the cycle of dependence. And I hope all of you can find a way as well.

God Bless
                      Bear

We're Winning :happy: We're Winning :happy: We're Winning:happy: We're Winning

Comment

Bear,

If you are in the Houston area would you PM with his name. My doc wouldn't prescribe it for me and wants me to see a psychiatrist. I ordered it on line but would rather be supervised. It won't be here for a couple of weeks and I'm ready to begin even I'm sure I'd have the same difficulty getting an appointment. It would be a great start.

Thanks,

Melissa
                        If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Awesome Bear!!

Bear, the success stories never get old. Great job. I am sold on the Campral. It really helps. I broke down a couple times, and I noticed it was after I missed some dosage. I guess it really works well, cause if I miss, I fail. Scares the shit out of me though. Do I have to take it forever then? Have you talked to your doc about that yet? I havn't asked mine. I need to make an appointment cause its been awhile.

Oh, almost forgot. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
                          where does this go?

Comment

I took topa for the first time today..and am still a little afraid of it! I am also excited

Comment

HI MDBiker,

Would you mind if I asked what dosage of the Gabapentin you are on? I go back to the Dr. tomorrow to get my prescription of Campral and I would like to mention it to him.

Thanks!!

p.s. Awesome job!!
                              mombytheocean

Comment

Working...
                              X