Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA Helps Me

Hi Friends,
    I haven't been on the boards in quite awhile. I haven't really felt the need to be here because I started attending AA meetings almost every day. Since I started attending AA, I haven't had a drink. Today is day 49 and I've never been able to go so long. I'm not here to say one method is better than the other (still taking Campral), but I tried a lot of different ways to curb or stop my drinking and nothing works better (for me) than talking to a bunch of other drunks in a room.

Anyway, I remember reading these boards when I first joined. I was so confused. Just looking for an answer. If there is someone on here who feels the same way I'd suggest you attend a few AA meetings -- it can't hurt, it's free, it's simple, and it works for a lot of people. I wish everyone good health and do not want to start any tired debates, I'm only sharing because I am happy and want to help others out.

Best,
    Andy

AA Helps Me

Whatever works is a good thing Andy. So glad to hear you are doing well.......
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

AA Helps Me

Hi Andy! Glad you checked in. Good stuff with the AA and your 49 days! That is fantastic!

It doesn't matter what method you choose - or if you choose a bunch of methods. The bottom line is 'whatever works' to stop the madness from drinking.

Don't be a stranger, eh?!

Comment

AA Helps Me

Thanks guys!

Comment

AA Helps Me

wishing you continued success...
          :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

AA Helps Me

I agree, I've been to AA, too and it is the face to face meetings with real people. This is virtual stuff and it is really helpful - no doubt at all - but some of us need that real human connection. And as said - what ever helps you, that's my motto, too.

Comment

AA Helps Me

Andy - congrats on the 49 days, and glad you found something that works for you.

pixie
              AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

AA Helps Me

Best of luck to you, and thanks for checking in with us.
                Meow-Meow
                MonaKitty

Comment

AA Helps Me

Good on you Andy! 49 days is no mean feat! I did AA about 18 months ago and was AF for 6 weeks... so I can relate to what you're saying here. I do prefer the philosophy of this site even though I'm not AF.

Best wishes and stick with it. If it's working for you then that is terrific!

Scoob
                  :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

AA Helps Me

Andy--Congrats on 49 days. Don't worry about stirring up anything here. In the time that I've spent here there has been no debate about about what method anyone uses to stay sober. It just doesn't seem to matter. Keep us posted on your progress.

Love and Peace
                    Roberta

Comment

AA Helps Me

Andy, congrats on your sobriety! As I have posted before, I also am doing the AA/MWO combo and find great strength and benefits in both. I've learned that swallowing your pride and admitting that you need help are the biggest hurdles for recovery, and getting that help from both places can only enhance that recovery. To me, it goes back to 'how bad do you really want this, and what lengths are you willing to get it?"
                      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

AA Helps Me

Well done on your 49 days Andy, that's fantastic!!

Kitty
                        Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                        Confucius

Comment

AA Helps Me

Great job Andy! So glad you are working 'your' program...if it works, work it..right? Thanks for checking in and letting folks know!

Comment

AA Helps Me

Good for you Andy. I have also attended AA and even recently went with a friend. I believe the AA philosophy is in itself good for people. Even non alcoholics could gain insight into living a better life if they would practice the twelve steps.

The problem I have with our local AA group is that everyone is just out of the pen, or on parole, or on probation, or court ordered, or --- you get my drift. These guys don't really want me in their group. I am not bad enough. They can't believe I am really so screwed up, but I was able to function well enough to stay out of jail.

That part makes me sad.

Congratulations :goodjob:

Bear
                            What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
                            ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

AA Helps Me

Andy

Congrats to you.

I didn't get on too well with AA. Maybe it was the fact it was face-2-face, but I also felt that I could not agree with the philosophy behind it. I felt I will always will be an alcoholic and that there's a permanent stigma attatched to you. I want to put it all behind me but I felt I could not shake of that part of my past. That is why I found Allen Carr's book a great help.

I don't want my experience with AA to put anyone off, as we are all different, and it's good to know there are different avenues people can go to who want to stop/moderate the drinking.

All the best.
                              Mandy x

Comment

Working...
                              X