Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone married to an alcoholic?

Hi all

I realised that I posted this on wrong thread! Whoops! still got some good replies.

Listen I'm not trying to blame anyone (am i?) but I find it really hard when my husband says he is going out for a drink not to have a drink.

I have asked him to stop/cut down with me but he has no interest - this is not helping me in the slightest.

He doesn't want to stop and when I am weak - I usually succumb - I need to leave- don't I ?

Any advice !!

Love S

Hi Serenity,

I did post in your previous thread but I just wanted to say something else.

It is incredibly hard when your partner drinks. My bf is a bottle of wine a night guy usually with a beer chaser and sometimes I really struggle. I get that "it's not fair feeling". He left a glass of Red wine in the bottle a couple of nights ago and it took all my strength not to drink it.

If I asked him I think he would more than likely refain from drinking in the house but he is so used to doing it (fortunately for him he never gets drunk, although he know it's too much) that I think it would create even more tension and I would feel guilty, we'd probably row and I'd reach for a drink. So at the moment I am just having to deal with it.

Tonight he bought a bottle of wine & a large bottle of Cider and I did have to put my foot down and say please don't get the cider. It was my favourite drink and I just don't think I could have sat there and watch him drink it. He put it back happily but when we got home he said he was sick of drinking red wine, I said I'm sick of not being able to drink anything at all so deal with it.

He took it well bless him, but I do worry about our future, it's a horrible dilemma and I don't know the answer. I thought to myself today though that if I left him I would be devastated and that I would probably drink myself into an early grave anyway. I spent a long time on my own and drank alone for a long long time and although it's hard I do do better when I am with him.

Serenity I really sympathise about your situation and only you can decide to leave your husband or not. Only you know what effect that would have on your recovery.

Sorry if this has turned out to be a rant. I wish you all the best and you're not alone in your situation.

Kitty
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

Comment

S, as I said in the other forum only you know your breaking point. Some people try to wait it out and it never comes. then regret the time wasted. your know your heart, listen to it. BTW I thank you for your sweet compliment. I would pleased to be your surrogate Mom. I want the best for you S. Life is short be happy honey.
      Smiles
      Mar

Comment

Working...
      X