weight loss/drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weight loss/drinking

Hello there to the old timers I know and the many many I do not. I was reading a new book today about weight loss and I felt compelled to post here. The part that is different about most other weight loss books is the part about "emotional eating". I read this and I couldn't help but relate it to drinking. In reality it is the same concept - what I emotionally suffer from causes me to overeat and also(although thanks to MWO not anymore), drink to excess.

These are the 3 questions the weight loss book asks:
    1. Why are you overweight(Why do you drink too much)?
    2. Why do you want to lose weight(why do you want to stop/reduce your drinking)?
    3. Why have you been unable to maintain weight loss in the past(Why have you been unable to drink at a "normal" level)?

What is the emotional reason that you eat excessively/drink? Why are you unhappy with yourself and/or your life that you eat/drink to make it easier?

Thoughts?

:l
    Marcie
    Marcie

weight loss/drinking

I think it makes a lot of sense. I think one of the reasons I will make it AF this time is I have looked into myself, my problems, and my life. Introspective examination is a valuable tool for evaluation of my current practices. I continue to look at what has transpired each day to improve on my understanding of what I can do better to release control of my life. Just letting go of the things I couldn't control has made all the difference in the world. Who knew I was a control freak? (Everyone but me).

I think this is a good point memarcie thanks for posting
    bear
    What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
    ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

weight loss/drinking

Memarcie,

That makes allot of sense, abuse of alcohol was my way of drowning emotions that I still need to face. I have felt so out of control of my life for so long and I am tired of trying to take control.

I hope that I can learn to release control like you bear!

kitkat
      AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
      Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Comment

weight loss/drinking

Memarcie - great to see apost form you. How are you doing and how's your health? Anyway, I totally agree with that! What is the name of that book anyway?

Comment

weight loss/drinking

Samadhi - I'm doing great, thanks for asking. The name of the book is The Best Life Diet by Bob Greene. Just started reading, so haven't started "dieting" yet.
          Marcie

Comment

weight loss/drinking

I read one of his books (BG's) and it was great. I agree that a lot of overindulging is emotionally based. In fact, they are now finding that folks who have gastric bypass to lose weight end up with other addictions because they haven't addressed the issues that were making them eat so much. I always have said that I eat/drink for every emotion -- happy, sad, mad, whatever!

Comment

weight loss/drinking

Marcie, OMG.....how wonderful to see you! I often wonder about you. I am so happy to see ya. What a great suprise. Glad to see your doin good. And I am so glad you are checkin in on us. Big smiles and hugs to you. :l
              Gabby :flower:

Comment

weight loss/drinking

Hi Marcie, good to hear from you lady. Hope you are feeling good these days. You were so much fun to talk to in the chat room. Don't be such a stranger. Take care.
                Meow-Meow
                MonaKitty

Comment

weight loss/drinking

Good point though dont have any answers sadly. What do people think about alcoholism being hereditary? My Dad is an alcoholic but I always think its a real cop out to say that it's inherited as it can make people feel powerless (a la AA approach). But at other times I think that I don't always drink to meet an emotional need (i just do it because it temporarily feels good) and then I think it must be hereditary else why continue to repeatedly make yourself ill if it's not a genetic addiction?Sorry, not really answered your question, just thinking out loud.

Comment

Working...
                  X