100 Day Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 Day Challenge

At the top of every one of my self improvement/goal setting/new year's resolutions/bucket lists are always 2 things: lose weight and drink less. I go thru cycles of losing weight and drinking less, and then stop thinking about it. I don't consider these cycles as failures - just lessons learned, yet I am getting pretty tired of the cycles. I want to be content with my weight and alcohol use.

Last year when I went thru abstinence (something like 40 days and 40 nights, very biblical) I came across a book/program called the 100 day challenge. At the time, I could not imagine and would not consider committing to going AL free that long - which to me was a big indicator of how much control alcohol had over me - how important it was to me to be able to drink.

I'm starting my 100 day challenge tomorrow. It includes following a healthy eating regime and daily exercise - which I hope will help push this nasty depression out the door. The diet allows 3 drinks a week and it wasn't until this morning that I committed to do 100 days AF. Moderating has been somewhat successful for me - coming home from a holiday where I drank daily (without getting drunk or feeling guilty about it), I found I want to continue to drink daily. If it hadn't been for a bout of the flu and taking meds that prohibited AL, I probably would continue drinking daily and be back where I started. Last night I got drunk and I truly hate being drunk. One of the things I'm going to research during this challenge is the Sinclair Method and finding a doctor in my area that supports it.

When I started abs, was there was so much focus on ME, me, me, me - and it wasn't until I hit double digit AF days that I felt I was in a position to support others.

I'm going AL for 100 days and am going to push myself to lose some weight, be healthier, but mostly to feel better about myself. I've been unhappy with "me" for a very long time - just in a state of dissatisfaction. I like feeling joyful so much better. I'm on a journey to find some joy and hold onto it.
    10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

100 Day Challenge

You ARE strong and in control, and I wish you all good things.

Go for that 100 days and I'll be rooting for you!

Comment

100 Day Challenge

Great idea. And I love that you consider other attempts at changing to be lessons. Good luck.

Comment

100 Day Challenge

Plodding along on Day 2. When I'm at work (desk jockey), I climb a flight of stairs every hour. It's really a quick energy-outlook booster. Last night swam laps for 45 minutes. Don't be too impressed~ I swim like a manatee.
        10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

100 Day Challenge

Day 3. Soreness. I forgot that exercise is hard work. Going off into the cold darkness to do some cardio. Still optimistic and motivated. 97 days to go!

Comment

100 Day Challenge

I'm Strong -- good for you. Will be cheering for you and watching this thread for daily progress.
            Warmest,
            Free at Last
            "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
            http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

100 Day Challenge

Day 9 - feeling great - still sore and giving 100%! I don't even think about alcohol!

Comment

100 Day Challenge

Day 13 - had an old friend over for dinner last night. He is someone that always knew to buy 2 more LARGE bottles of cabernet if I was coming over. He didn't notice that I wasn't drinking. Even better, I didn't notice I wasn't drinking!!!

I've lost some weight - my clothes are already noticeably looser. Tape measure says 1.5" less at the waist. I'm not getting on the scale for a month. I don't lose weight rapidly and am always, always discouraged by the number on the scale. The diminishing body is my best gauge.

Guess what! The depression is out the door. Cancelled the appointments with the shrink - by the time she had availability in her calendar, I was cured!

Hoping you all have smiles and giggles of glee all weekend!

Comment

100 Day Challenge

Amazing work! Funny how tend to blame everything else except the root of the problem. AL! I got off AD's, 3 blood pressure pills, and lost weight when I finally quit. Day 13 is a big day...that's the day I knew I could be AF for the duration. Keep up the great job!! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

100 Day Challenge

Hey Byrdie!

Miss you! I know you are doing fantastic. Will have to pop into the Nest and say hi to all my old pals.

Comment

100 Day Challenge

You sound great, Strong, in so many ways :l! What is different for you for this challenge?

Comment

100 Day Challenge

Hi Strong,
                        Glad to see you doing so well. Stay with this.
                        Free at Last
                        "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                        http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

100 Day Challenge

You're doing great...keep it up!

Comment

100 Day Challenge

I just realized that my last "rejoin" date was February, 2013 - happy anniversary to me! What a long way I've come! Thanks to all of you for your support. I have to say, I am doing great (pat on back)!

This past weekend, I decided to do some shopping in the suburb where we lived several years ago. The memories of being massively hungover, attempting to drive, do shopping and errands while miserable, unhappy and totally not present just kept coming back to me. I don't think I realized how much this was my "normal". I woke up hungover nearly every day - more often than not. Although I haven't behaved that way lately, I think I need to be vigilant that I don't live that way again.

I've said before that abstaining is easier than moderation. When there is no alcohol in my system, controlling thoughts and cravings is manageable. The day after I've moderated? Much more difficult. "It's Saturday night - why not have a glass of wine, I moderated yesterday, I can do it today; Sunday, one won't hurt, I won't be hungover . . ." etc. etc. I am not adverse to this kind of drinking/thinking - but I need to be. In a short time, one becomes two, two becomes three, three becomes infinite.

I will continue to moderate sometime after the next 83 days. I want to do it without meds; I take plenty of meds already. I do feel stronger and in control knowing that I can do 100 days - or more. Managing the thought process - reasoning/excuses whatever you call all the drama that turns into angst in my head about having a drink or having the next drink is the hurdle to overcome. I can do it.

Comment

100 Day Challenge

Couldn't sleep. Even sober people have one of those restless nights - decided to stop the tossing and turning and read some posts. I found another thread that peaked my interest, and it just made me feel sad and betrayed. Knowing that I open my heart on this board only to be tracked down and ridiculed by those that chose a different path. If your "quit" is so important to you - what are you doing on the modders thread - looking for more evidence that you are "right"??? Then wonder why people stop posting and never come back . . . maybe they were driven away.

Comment

Working...
                              X