I have A DRINKING PROBLEM-Day.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally realized after some time of denial, and rationilizations that I have a problem with my drinking. I don't drink daily but when I do I have a hard time stopping. I frequently black out and say and do things that I feel guilty or regret. I find myself a little scared because a lot of my free time includes activities that involve alcohol. I have seen my drinking get worse since my recent divorce. I feel my husbands controlling personality helped regulate my drinking for a long time but now I am by myself and feel a little out of control. I want to gain control again and not rely on anyone to keep me straight. Any advice?

Welcome Roxxy!
    Coming to this site is a great first step, once you log in here daily and read the book and start the supps, I swear you will see a difference!

Loved1
    AF since 7/5/2009

Comment

Roxxy,
      My drinking escalated after my divorce years ago. All that freedom and all of those new social activities. I drank to fit in and meet new people. I wish I could say don't do what I did and that you will be better off to spend time getting to know yourself without your husband and without alcohol in your life and that you would believe me, but that's a tall order. So I will just say read the book, spend time with friends who don't focus their lives around drinking, exercise, do new things that you've always wanted to do. Fill your life with anything and everything but alcohol. Don't let yourself get lonely, get a pet, drive your friends crazy, post and read here.

This is a great place for information and company when you want/need it.

Melissa
      If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Welcome!!

Roxxy,

As you read around this site, you will see so many of us out there just like you.

Many of them have come very far and made great strides in beating this addiction. Sometimes people lapse and everyone is there to help them buck back up and get back on track.

It is an amazing community of caring, loving, and understanding people.

I, too, am fairly new to the site and have already experienced the kindness that abounds here.

I wish you the best!!

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

The SINGLE biggest thing that you can do is to admit to yourself that you have a problem! So congrats for logging on here and sharing your story. As the others have said, read and post here at MWO - it will make a tremendous difference in your life.
          Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

hi Roxxy:

Well, if you have a drinking problem, you have certainly come to the right place. i suggest reading the MWO book if you haven't done so already. Get the supplements and get to where you feel in control of your drinking, not the other way around. Glad you found us Roxxy!
            Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

Just registered on this site today with the exact same problem. Lets use this site to improve once and for all... Sucess is contagious, I'll do it if you will...

Comment

Welcome Roxxy, glad you have joined us.

Comment

Thank you for joining this site. We all come from similar situations and we encourage you to join us with the tools that RJ founded this site on. Please read the book and undertake the suggestions in her books regarding supps, cd's etc. It's not a magic bullet, but a fine guideline to what we are all struggling with.

Love
                  Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Good to see you here. We all have a problem with drinking. As a matter of fact, we are all much alike in many ways. Glad to have you aboard
                    bear
                    What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
                    ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

Hi Roxy,
                      Welcome, I know what you mean about partners helping to control your drinking, but i dont really believe that is true, you will probably find that because you have just seperated and are no longer under his controling ways that you are letting your hair down a bit, but i am sure you will be able to control this without him, first step, posting on here, these people will help you enormously(sorry bad speller), give yourselve some breathing time, time to learn how to survive on your own, and you will get this under control, keep reading and posting.
                      chill
                      ACCEPTANCE IS A POWERFUL THING

Comment

Hi Roxxy,
                        It's hard to admit that we can't control our alchol isn't it? I am a binge drinker too. I have the opposite problem, my husband will make me drinks. I know so many times I wished he would have cut me off but in 29 years...I can hardly remember a time. Welcome, this site is great because you know you are not alone.:h

Comment

Hey Roxxy,

Welcome, welcome, welcome!! Sorry to hear about the divorce and your current state. It may be a phase, it may be a step down that ugly path....glad you made it hear before taking that next step. Everyone hear has wonderful advice, you will be surrounded by an amazing support group. I think Chilli is right, but do be careful, don't let that idea of letting your hair down escalate into something more. If you think you are developing a problem (which is most likely why you are here) then nip it in the butt right away. Speaking from experience, not a divorce, but seperation two years ago (and many other incidences), I often felt I had the right. This opened the door to very self destructive behaviour. Finally I completely isolated myself, and am now slowly working out of that shell. That is NEVER the place you want to get to. I applaud your braveness and levelheadness to see this for what it is at this time... I think most of us started as binge drinkers, and I'm sure most of us would want to take back many memories (well for what we remember) after it became something more. I don't know if you have a support network outside of here, in either case, you are at the right place right time Good luck to you!!! Looking forward to hearing about your successes!!
                          4ever

Comment

Hi Roxxy,

It's great that you are acknowledging your problem with alcohol sooner rather than later! When I went through my divorce several years ago, I increased my drinking too. Before I even realized it, I had developed a huge problem with lack of self-control with drinking. I was drinking almost every day.

Have you considered seeing a counselor? I found it helped to take control of my situation any way that I could. Also, coming here has been a tremendous help with changing my mindset about drinking. Divorce can be really tough on the self-esteem. Be kind to yourself. Look forward to hearing from you again.

Julie

Comment

I just signed in here for the first time today myself. I am not divorced....but my husband can be quite controlling at times and things have the last year just got a little out of hand. I think we found this site for a reason and I am going to really try hard to stay focused and try and cut back or abstain for good. Thinking of you....Sunflower

Comment

Working...
                              X