More progress to report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More progress to report

Just thought I would like to share a bit more progress.
    As some of you know I have been able to tackle quite a few annoying personal habits since I have stopped drinking.
    I am now carefully monitoring my night eating habit, and if I do it, now I can see a link between this habit and anxiety. Maybe it is a change in routine, company, some kind of disruption etc. I think about why I might be nervous and make a conscious effort to stop eating by 8 or 10 PM and continue to drink herbal teas throughout the day.

I have started a yoga practice I love, and of course I have a new friend and therapist, Mozart the horse.
    When my auntie was here she said 'omg what a blessing this horse is for you.' She knows how sick I am of the excitement of city life. Finally someone to hangout with who doesn't feel the need to dominate the conversation, be wittier than me (not hard), go shopping for stuff we don't need, talk about people I don't know and tell me weird stuff about them... of course I have nice friends here, but they are not the same as my small pool of childhood and college friends. I cannot spend 24/7 with my husband, now can I? Sorry, rant.

Getting to the point: I have continued to struggle with headaches. And, this is one of the main reasons I stopped drinking!
    My diet is close to Palaeolithic, I have lost some 20 lbs and feel quite fit, I have new spectacles (decided to purchase computer glasses next) but STILL have a lingering headache most of the time and for about a week a month a terrible migraine.

Finally I went to the doctor yesterday, with my tail between my legs, and admitted " I need help managing migraines.'

So, now I write a food diary, have new medicine to try and will see a nutritionist. I see him again in 5 weeks.

The reason I am sharing all this is because I have been reading a lot here lately and see how there are many folks needing inspiration.
    I also see the abundance of people reading without logging in. There are clearly oodles of people struggling with alcohol on many levels.
    Rahul mentions in a post he doesn't know anyone his age who has stopped drinking. I have the same experience. If I mention it in passing the general reaction is WHY, kind of like mentioning giving up cherries or something entirely harmless. For me it is more like saying " I have decided to give up breathing fire, seems silly I know."
    Note: Fire breathing is the act of creating a plume of fire by breathing a stream of fuel over an open flame often seen as a circus performance.

Just because we do or have done silly things doesn't mean we have to continue, right?!!

:beast:
    Last edited by Eloise; July 25, 2015, 12:12 AM.
    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Way to go, El!

You have made so many changes, and you also show that even when we quit alcohol, life goes on - headaches and all.

So happy for you and Mozart to have found each other!

Pav

Comment

Awh, me too Pav!
      This horse is something else, he even has a Cavalier medal on his stall door from the Queen, bless him.
      For me he is exactly what I needed at just the right time. I had also not wanted to ride because I thought it was too expensive. Now I think he is worth every single penny I spend on him. Enjoy your Saturday Pav.
      (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Working...
      X