Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book dispelling myths of alcohol - please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well and are meeting your goals with af or moderation. Me, personally,
    it's been 11 days and i am entering my 12th. I am feeling good, and after having a
    conversation with my mother last night about it, i was surprised to learn that there is a link
    between alcohol and cancer, especially in women. If nothing else has put me off this
    information has certainly cemented that i want to be alcohol-free for the rest of my life. I
    am going to do everything possible to avoid that drink.

Anyhow, having said that, she also alerted my attention to the fact that alcohol is in fact a
    poison, which reminded me of a post on here that named a book by Dr.... (sorry, don't
    remember his name).

Well, i am indeed interested in reading that book and would greatly appreciate it if somebody could tell me it's title and author. I can't remember which thread it was in and to be truthful, i haven't got all day to search, so any advice would be great

I hope everyone's doing well and keep up the good work. To any new comers reading this, being af is DEFINATELY worth it... it's so much nicer feeling 'clearer'.
    One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Hi there

I get scared when I read about the link between alcohol and breast cancer.

One of my favorite books is by Allan Carr and I wonder if that is the one you are referring to? Easyway to Control Alcohol? he does refer to alcohol as a poison and dispels myths.

he is not an MD though. I don't know how scientific his opinions are, but his approach has a lot of common sense and wisdom.

Comment

It could be the Alan Carr one. Have you mentioned this in your posts before?

Yes, the link between cancer and alcohol scares me too and is an impetuous to give up. I am really scared now. I used to think hangovers were the worst thing that could happen with alcohol, and then after reading about what happened to other people i thought "oh yeah, sure, right, that is really going to happen to me (as in being sarcastic and in denial), but now i am convinced that alcohol is a poison and is dangerous and i am more motivated than ever to give it up.

I am scared, because like anybody, i have those voices in my head saying, "go on, 1 more won't hurt", but i am really going to try to resist them.

Anyway, i am rambling.

If anybody else has a book recommendation about some guy who wrote a book about alcohol being a poison, then can you please post? I am interested in doing as much research as i can.

Btw, thanks Nancy. Will definately check out Allan Carr's book :l .
      One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

oh my, I always mention this book in my posts. people must be sick of it by now!:H

the breast cancer link sure is scary (it's a huge increase in risk for women who abuse alcohol). But i also wasn't aware the effect it has on your mental health, by messing about with the chemicals that keep you feeling good. and it's dehydrating.

I don't know how old you are but I wasn't concerned about these things in my 20s. They scare me to death now, in my 30s.

Awareness of what exactly achohol does to your body is good for helping with sobriety or moderating.

Comment

I've just read a book called 'Stop drinking 4 life, easily' by Jason Vale. I think he must have used the Alan Carr method himself and has rewritten it in a more fun way. Definatly worth reading to dispel the myths surrounding alcohol and its abuse.
          Suz
          Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Not only the cancer is scary but also the memory loss. My memory is a mess and I know it is from the years of alcohol abuse. I hope it gets better WHEN I stop!

Comment

Last year I read "How to quit drinking without AA" - don't remember author's name, I first really truly took in just how dangerous alcohol abuse is to the body. I eat almost all organic foods, use natural shampoos and such... yet here I am practically asking for disease from the booze.
              Remembering that it's not just about avoiding hangovers and guilt, but also about living long and well, is a powerful motivator.
              Hugs,
              imatree

Comment

helpmeout - yes, that's another good motivator. I've always been so "smart" - and it terrifies me when I notice that I'm not as sharp as I used to be. I too hope it gets better when I finally get rid of this monster.
                Hugs,
                imatree

Comment

I'm with Nancy! (everyone must be sick of me harping on about AC too Nancy! lol)

Allen Carr's book is really great. Change, good on you! It's only been 16 days for me but I feel fantastic for being AF. One of the many reasons why I have given it away is health and wanting to live a longer life, so I hear what you're saying, and yep, ethyl alcohol is poison. (makes me feel sick when I think about it now. Gag-Gross!)

4 months ago, I was taking anti anxiety tabs, smoking cigarettes and binge drinking and
                  I've given all 2 away and back into running (my real passion). I now realise that I needed the anxiety meds largely as a result of alcohol depressing my nervous system etc.

Freedom!

Scoobs
                  :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Scooby, I also had massive anxiety attacks when I was drinking...I would wake up and immediately be absolutely terrified...I thought I had to have a drink to deal with it...it seemed to work....sort of. Then when I went AF last year the anxiety just stopped....yes, of course I still worry in a normal sort of way...but those anxiety/panic attacks were not HELPED by alcohol, they were CAUSED by alcohol!!!

s
                    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

Wow, thanks all!

imatree, thanks for reminding me that it's about things other than the hangovers. It's easy to get caught in the trap of thinking "hangovers only", but they are the bodies way of telling us there is something wrong.

goingsobermum and imatree, i worry about my memory too as i used to drink a lot as a teenager and the damage would have already been done by the time i reached adulthood, but i truely believe our memories will get better with abstinance. I used to suffer shocking memory loss the day after drinking and sometimes longer.

But now, my memory seems a lot better and my head is definately clearer. I make a conscious effort to remember things and i write lists if i am worried. The memory can be strengthened by pneumonics (i hope that's the right word for it), by telling yourself stories and making up little symbols, images and abbreviations that are associated with the things you are trying to remember. Eg., my mum suggested i go for a pap-smear (sorry to all the guys out there reading this, i hope i don't offend) and she suggested this thing called a "thin prep" (a more efficient pap-smear for those wondering)... well, the way i remembered it was to imagine a 'thin' student in grade 'prep'.

You can train your brain to be more efficient. It is a fact. So, in relation to memory loss, just start practising remembering things and rehearse them over and over again. I think it is the short-term memory that becomes affected by booze. Info in the ST memory has approx 30 seconds before it is committed to long-term memory. Things will get better with time.

Anxiety and alcohol... i've pretty much had an anxiety problem all my life and i thought it was just there, but now i feel a bit less anxious. Which is good news and means that there is a link between alcohol and anxiety.

I'm gonna cleanse next (big diet, will see a naturepath) and then i am going to start exercise. It's a two-step plan. The other day, i was so sick, i was heaving and my body just ejactulated all the toxins from itself. It was quite amazing, but it made me realise how much poison i have been putting into myself.

Comment

Hey Imatree,

I just bought How to Quit Drinking without AA. Looks like a great book. Seems in sync with this program.

Thanks.

Comment

Just ordered Alan Carr. We'll see what happens.

Comment

me too

Change, I'm going over to amazon and find that book. Thanks Nancy for recommending, keep on doing so! There are so many newbies (and repeat newbies, ahem) that it is good to do that. My fears surround memory loss and of course the poor liver, overworked as it is. Hugs! Suz
                            The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Hi Suz,

Amazon has lots. Nobody in my country has any... can you believe it? I couldn't be bothered looking around so i thought it best to order it.

Comment

Working...
                              X