Shot Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot Down!

Wow, just got back from the doctor, she shot me down right away on the Topa, totally bummed out now. Was willing to refill my Prozac though!? Which I quit months ago.

Have an appt with another doctor tomorrow for girl stuff so I'll give it another shot but if I get another no, I'm going to get discouraged.

Still going strong though.....

Shot Down!

Thuzzy, sorry about that. That's really bad! Did you take a printed article or something? Or can you take one with you tomorrow for your "female" appointment? Perhaps they can prescribe it for "migraines".

Comment

Shot Down!

I actually was thinking of doing the migraine approach because this is a new doctor, darn shame I feel like I have to lie to a physician!? I'll print the article also.

Thanks.

Comment

Shot Down!

Hey Thuzzy,

Did she give you a reason for shooting it down? My doc did the same, but I knew if I pushed it she would cave. I decided to go without and have been doing pretty good. I take the supps and Wellbutrin and dust the piano for exercise.

Oh, and stop by your doc's parking lot and let the air of out her tires.

Helen

Comment

Shot Down!

She said she had never heard of Topa for alcohol and that it "messed" with your neurotransmitters, etc. It was used for epilespy (sp?) and it sounded severe for what I was looking to use it for. I didn't push it because I could see she was not going to budge and I didn't want to get myself worked up. I certainly will continue without but was hoping to have it as backup or at least give it a try.

Still surprised that she is willing to give out antidepressants like candy but not Topa for a few months!

Comment

Shot Down!

dont stop

Thuzzy, Absoultly dont stop there! That doc is just plain ignorant and closed minded. So phooie on her. Her loss for new knowledge. Now with your new doc have the lancet artical printed out and 2 or 3 others. There are so many on the internet. Take in your book or printed out one. I did the download one and all these articals and just left them with my doc! He wanted to read it. Hopefully he can "perscribe" the website to someone. I cant wait to tell him how good I am doing. (trying not to brag, its only one week) But anyway, if your doc wont do it tomorrow, just keep on trying anther doc and so on. I say even get kinda pushy if you can, (i know thats hard for me to do) make the nurse have him call you even if you arent a patient yet and ask him if he is familiar with the off label use on the phone. Or better yet just ask the nurse. You dont have to even tell them your name. Of course under the condition that you will go in and be a patient if he agree to perscribe. You would be suprised what some offices would go along with. For years I worked in a doc office and believe me......much worse happens. And with the hipa stuff.....its not like anyone can talk to anyone else about it so whats there to lose? Then you can make the appointment. All I know is that if you really want the topa dont give up. You will find someone that wants to help and then can build a good doc/pt relationship. Thuzzy, the topa is helping me so much. Honestly.....I hardly even think about drinking. When I do.....I think its just out of habit and not cuz I want it. I think.....weird and kinda hard to explain. I'm only on the 50 mg part. I just hope and pray it keeps up without any complications. SO DONT GIVE UP! Keep lookin for a doc....I hate to say this.....but after all.....you're payin him! (sound mean but really not) gabby

Comment

Shot Down!

Re: dont stop

I hear you loud and clear! I've been trying to find the article on the website but I can't (I'm sneaking at work!) Can you or anyone tell me exactly where to find it. I'm not going to quit until I can at least get some Topa and try it!

I'm just amazed at how some docs will prescribe anything anywhere anytime and others won't! If you can let me know where to print the article I'll make sure I have it when I go tomorrow.

Thanks!

Comment

Shot Down!

articals

Thuzzy, everything is here at MWO under the research tab on the left hand side. There are articals (a few) the lancet lecture that i linked below and if you want more just do a google search for tomapax for problem drinkers. You will get more info then you need. Gabby
                its in reprism.yale.edu/Templates/...cture2.pdf

Comment

Working...
                X