caution on 5HTP for depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read that some of you are taking this supplement to supply serotonin.
    Here is another point of view on this from Joan Matthews Larson, author of Seven Steps to Sobriety.

From her book on depression, she advises tryptophan which requires a prescription in the US:

A supposedly safe form of tryptophan, 5HTP, is now available over the counter. But while 5HTP reaises the serotonin levels in the body, little is admitted to the brain unless another drug, carbidopa, accompanies it. In Europe, 5HTP is used with carbidopa. And too much serotonin around the heart will do the same damage we have seem with fen-phen (diet pills), which raised serotonin levels in the body, cuasing serious heart damage and death. Warning: Use tryptophan and not 5HTP to be safe.

Wow, thanks Nancy. I just started taking some this week and did not notice much of a difference so do not think I will continue. Interesting stuff.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I guess that depends if you buy the study done by Steve Harris in 1997 who said 5HTP was evil. He sounds kind of whacko to me. I don't take the kind with the B-6 anyway.

I started on 5HTP when I got off Prozac for anxiety attacks in 2004 or 2005. It helped me a lot. I take one or two a day since getting off the alcohol. I have an ultra sound done on my heart valves twice a year and nothing bad has happened, they have not changed.

That being said, I was thinking recently that since I'm ordering all this stuff online anyway I might just start ordering the Tryptophan as well and stop the 5HTP anyway and get the real stuff. Haven't decided yet, may not rock the boat.
      If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Yeah, Rottrod, it's hard to know who to believe on a lot of medical issues. But this woman, this source, seems to be someone who is admired on MWO! So I think her argument is at least worth investigating.

I am not saying I think 5HTP should not be used. But I would consult with a knowledgeable psychiatrst first about tryptophan and 5HTP, the latter to see if you need to take anything with it or how intake of Vitamin B6 at the same time affects use.

I think the ideal doctor, psychiatrist, is someone trained in Western medicine but with a good background in complementary medicine, someone well-versed in nutrition and supplements.

Comment

Thx Nancy..want to research this more...I don't know what 5HTP does but I like karma7171's results. That being said all of my knowledge tell me that it cannot raise the serotonin levels in the body. There is only one thing that produces serotonin -- th e pineal galnd in the base of the brain and enhanced by chemicals coming gromthe pituitary.

I di dmy senior theseis on this in undergrad. And have had it reconfirmed when I inquire into the mechanisms of prozac which I take. Prozac & other like chemicals inhibit the uptake of serotonin. Tha t is they make it stay around in the body longer before it dissipates. It does not generate serotonin -- nothing in the body does except the glands.

I have always been skeptical of getting it from an outseide body source. It ones does it is of course short-lived. I still do not know what 5htp does but it sounds effective.

Just my thoughts..and worth about the source that it comes from -- a person on the internet..

Comment

5-HTP

I believe there's been some confusion about 5-HTP, which has been used safely in Europe for decades to treat depression, weight loss, insomnia, and another medical conditions.

To learn more, I recommend [ame=http://www.amazon.com/5-HTP-Serotonin-Overcome-Depression-Insomnia/dp/product-description/0553107844]this book[/ame], authored by Dr. Michael Murray, one of the country's leading naturopaths. It is endorsed by Dr. Christiane Northrup, M.D., among others. Dr. Murray has posted an excellent 5-HTP Q&A, [ame=http://www.doctormurray.com/newsletter/3-04-2005.htm]which you'll find here[/ame].

Specifically, the basis for 5-HTP's bad rap is explained here
            . I think many people, including reputable authors, got caught up in a bit of questionable science.

We do urge anyone taking an SSRI anti-depressant to consult with their doctor before using 5-HTP. Since this natural supplement is converted into serotonin, there is a theoretical possibility of serotonin syndrome if high doses are taken with a medication like Prozac, Paxil or Zolaft on the same day.

For a quick 5-HTP profile by MedQuest, look here.

As always, please consult a qualified health care provider before undertaking a new program of dietary supplementation. Your pharmacist can also be very helpful in answering questions about drug and vitamin safety, as well as potential interactions.

RJ
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

Links now working...

Just got a PM that the links in my message above were not working. They should all be okay now, thanks.

RJ
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

has anyone looked into inositol for anti anxiety? I've heard some really good things. I take it before bed and it seems to help immensly with insomnia also.
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Thanks RJ, that's the book I initially read 2 or 3 years ago. the 5-HTP has worked for me.
                  If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

How much 5-HTP are the people taking who are finding it works? I have also read good things. though I know we have to be cautious. I have Tryptophan also so maybe I will just use that? Oh I am confused.
                    Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

bump

Saw that someone was looking for info on tryptophan/5HTP, scroll down to RJ response

Comment

Nancy, sorry for sounding daft but what do you mean by scroll down - I could not find RJ's respons. My daughter is using it so this is reakky important to me.
                        Tx
                        Jessie
                        make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Jessie, read from the TOP of this thread. This is the one I was talking about and tried to find but couldn't. It is from June last year. I think you will get all your questions answered. I think the conclusion is that 5-HTP seems to be just fine, though there is some argument about which is BETTER, 5-HTP or tryptophan, they both do basically the same thing. If your daughter is responding well to 5-HTP, it seems to me you have nothing to worry about.

p.s. read the WHOLE thread (or at least to RJ's response, where she gives links to find out more).
                          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Thanks for locating and bumping this thread!

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

bump again for Doggy Girl

This is the one I was thinking of but it looks like you have already seen it!

Comment

Working...
                              X