What symptoms are normal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having scared myself half to death on the web, I just wondered if others had thesame symptoms as me along the way...

- muzzy headache
    - back ache
    - red face/flushed cheeks
    - kind of prickly heat feeling on upper body
    - loss of appetite
    - nausea
    - shaky feeling

I've read that some of these are normal, but just wanted to share them with others. This is my second "drink free day". Went to GP yesterday and my blood pressure was normal - one good result I guess.
    SC

For me personally I sufer with the headaches. Instead of loss of appetite I actually find I can eat more. I have rediscovered breakfast. Up your intake of water.

Comment

Thx for the advice - I'll certainly give it a go - whatever it takes!
      SC

Comment

hi...this is my third day abstinent and on 25 topamax. i always find that day 2 is always the worse so i just plan on doing nothing and toughing out the aches and pains etc. see how you feel tomorrow as there will be less alchohol in your system....i'm so glad i'm not the only one!!!

Comment

Hi Sweet cheeks:welcome:

Hope your feeling better!!!!!

Im a binge drinker and when I come off a binge I feel sick shaky sweats my body aches im tired but carnt sleep I get pins and needles in my hands so I think we all share common symptoms when stopping alcohol.

But as each day passes the better you feel I drink litres of water and keep going toilet to help wash the toxins through quicker and it does really work so water water water

I hope to read more posts from you as your journey has just begun and im sure you will suceed all the best luv Keepon:h

Comment

Thx for your supportive posts.

Must admit - went swimming at my gym at lunchtime which helped with the water consumption, as I forgot to shut my mouth when swimming (only kidding). Hoped it might help with the aches and pains, and it has a little. As you say, sounds as if we all share thesame experiences, which is a comfort to know. I seem to have the reverse to you though Keepon and sleep really well when I've been drinking.

Am just drinking a large glass of water as we type. Determined to hang in there and cast away these demons. I'll let you know how day 2 goes - good luck to you all too.

SC
            :h

Comment

How long have you been drinking and how much? That's important for how your body will react to AF. Did you tell your GP everything?
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Sounds about normal, I know what you mean I looked at WEBMD once in a while when having pain et. I sends me almost into a panic attack reading all the stuff. I do not look at any of those sites anymore they cause me more harm than good.

You will feel great if you keep going,
                Sammys

Comment

Drink lots of water--glasses and glasses of it. Flush out all the bad toxins, and then put nothing but good whole food into your body for the rest of the day. Whole foods and water are the critical ingredients needed for recovery. Also don't forget to get up and get moving--use your muscles, walk around the blook, take the stairs, instead of taking the elevator, go for a bikeride,

Good luck.

Julie

Comment

Thx for your advice.

Beatle - I had a phase of binge drinking on and off since I had my youngest son who is now 6 but since my mum died 2 years ago, it's become more serious and since then I've been drinking at least 1-2 bottles of wine every day with hardly any days off. MY GP seemed more keen to refer me to a support group than speak to me - I'm considering seeing my husband's GP who seems to be more in tune with mental illnesses, such as depression etc.

This is my third day without alcohol - last night was tough, especially about 5pm when I usually pour my first glass. I kept getting these waves of depression and anxiety until about 9:30pm when they seemed to subside. I kept thinking that I was going to die. I nearly succumbed and had a drink but managed not to as I kept thinking about the reasons why I'm trying to give up and what everybody here has been telling me. I'm drinking more and more water and thanks for the advice about whole foods - I'll make sure I do that. I also started taking multi vitamins this morning as I heard that might help too.

Any other advice is certainly welcome. I'm praying it will get easier.
                    SC

Comment

Sweet Cheeks;156018 wrote: This is my third day without alcohol - last night was tough, especially about 5pm when I usually pour my first glass. I kept getting these waves of depression and anxiety until about 9:30pm when they seemed to subside. I kept thinking that I was going to die. SC
                      I thought you said your first day was tough, but any day is tough. IMO if you can get past that 'tough' day (mine was day 1), then i think you have a good chance at succeeding.

And yes, water, water, water, and herbal tea. It also gives you something to sip on. Whenever you feel like a drink, you should pour yourself a herbal tea or water.
                      One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

How right are you there! As you say, any and every day will be a challenge.

I'm off to buy some herbal tea - any particular recommendations?
                        SC:thanks:

Comment

Hello Sweet Cheeks,

You are doing so well - third day AF.......... :goodjob:

I also have around five o'clock as my witching hour, and I've started taking the Kudzu and L-Glut (to ease the cravings - not 100% sure they do the job, but I'll try anything) which I bought at Holland & Barrett the last time I was in the UK. I think it does get easier, but I agree with Change, drink loads; I top up on Cranberry Light with Perrier water, and for a herb tea, my preference is Verveine with Mint, I add a very small amount of manuka honey (High strength from Waitrose; +10 and +15); like you by about nine o'clock I'm not thinking about real drinks anymore. I just want to get into the right state of mind to hopefully have a good nights sleep (also very difficult at the beginning).

Keep going Sweet Cheeks - you'll get there.

luc
                          x
                          Gonnabee not Wannabee

Comment

Hi Sweet,

Try Rooibos tea, you can get it in H & B and supermarkets, sometimes it is called Redbush.
                            It's full of antioxidants and vitamins and I like to drink it before bed, it's from South Africa and has a very slight sweet taste and I find it more interesting than the regular herbals.

Someone here recommended it so if you do a search you'll get some more info.

Well done on day 3 that's super.

Kitty
                            Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                            Confucius

Comment

Thx Luc,

I may well take a trip down to Holland & Barrett as I've heard so much on these threads about Kudzu in particular. Like you say, try anything. I've just got some herbal Liver Aid plus tablets which contain milk thistle, ginger root, dandelion root and burdock root. According to my friend whose got a degree in herbal medicine it's a total liver, GI and urinary detox. I've just started them today, so fingers crossed. I'll certainly give the herbal teas a go too - what have we got to lose?

Cranberry & Perrier sounds quite do-able - rather like a sparkling rose (well that's what I'll trick my brain into thinking in any case).

Hope you get a good night's sleep soon - it's nice to be able to fight these battles with others. I just wish beating this thing wasn't a 24/7 obsession - it would be great to switch off from it for a while. There was a time when I could just drink a few at the weekend and not even think about it in the week, now I'm obsessed and can't get it out of my head.

Take care and stay strong - we can do it.
                              SC
                              xxx

Comment

Working...
                              X