Time for a change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a change

I have never done the forum thing before. After reading some of the other comments I thought you guys are a good bunch of people, and this could be helpful for me. I have never been to AA, but a friend of mine had, and it never worked for him, he died in '99 of booze related illnesses. My friends think I am following in his footsteps.
    I have a wife and 2 young kids, we live in Australia.
    I have always enjoyed a beer or 2 after work, but now its beer, wine and a few spirits to finish the night and myself. I don't smoke cigarettes, or do any hard drugs. Alcohol is the demon for me.
    It all came to a head last weekend at a party, where I got so drunk that I remember very little. Apparently I made a real idiot of myself and abused people, which is totally out of character for me, I was always the "happy" drunk. I think the booze is really changing me and I have lost control. I spent most of the day ringing people to appologise for my stupid behaviour, I never want to do that again! Its time for a change. I have not had a drink today because I felt sick in the stomach for what I had done. But I know tomorrow I will feel like one again. I need to stop this! Talking to like minded people might be just what I need. HELP!

Time for a change

Hey Moose - or should I say "Goodday" (sorry!!)
    Welcome! You have come to a great place, trust me. Everyone is so supportive and will not judge you. Like you, I used to be a happy drunk but recently I've become a really nasty drunk and say lots of very hurtful things to my husband. There, see - you're not alone. Keep reading and posting and try the whole program - everyone says it has really helped them (I'm just starting out so can't speak from experience yet)
    "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." Ralph Waldo Emerson :rays:

Comment

Time for a change

Gdday

I think it's really painful to be told you are doing something out of character and against your morals or ethics. It's the effect of the alcohol. Also, while many people here have had the problem for years and years, I do know some who are fine for many years and then as they get older develop a problem and have the kind of personality shift for the first time.

It's a wakeup call that you need to do something about it. Look forward to seeing you around.:welcome:

Comment

Time for a change

Hi moose67 and a warm welcome.

We have all been where you are, and have some horrid memories of our behaviour when drunk. But what`s done is done, so let it go now.

If you really have the commitment to change, coming to this site will afford you the life you wish to lead.

I wish you much luck,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Time for a change

Hello there Moose :-)

You sound just like me ...

David, Melbourne...

Being on here is good but sorting it out is much harder...

Good luck

David x
          The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation.
          Oscar Wilde

Comment

Time for a change

Thanks heaps for the speedy replys guys and girls, didn't expect that. Cool.
            I have ordered the good book, and will make an appointment with my GP on monday.
            He is a bit straight, but I'm sure its not the first time he has seen someone with a drinking problem. After all he is Greek.
            Its late, will go to bed stone cold sober, see if I can sleep.
            Catch you later, thanks again....

Comment

Time for a change

Hi David, I'm in Adelaide, but enjoy riding your great ocean road every year on the way to Phillip island for yet another 3 day party. Will take things a little easier this year but.

Comment

Working...
              X