Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie, needs advice!!

Hi to everyone,
    Am brand new here and this is awkward. Have never done online postings or chats.
    I'm in my early 50's, have a very good quality of life, but know that drinking 7-8 glasses of wine/ day is a train wreck of a way to live and want to make some positive changes.
    Alcohol is gaining too much control in my life. Don't like the hangovers and fog that I'm in most of the time.

I'm only motivated to moderate right now, which may be unrealistic for me, don't know how much denial is going on here. I have big alcoholics on both sides of my family nd feel like I'm wired to drink, so don't knnow if moderation is really doable long term.

Some general questions:

!. I live in the USA were HIPPA laws are in place, but still think asking for topamax will label me as problematic with alcohol.. Does anyone have advice for me from an insurance perspective. Does being coded as someone with an alcohol problem come back to "bite you in the butt" so tho speak?? Is it better to order online. How much money do you save by letting insurance pay vs buying online? Does anyone use flxible spending tax free money to pay for their supps and topa? Will that work?

My MD is very supportive and will work with me on using topamax if I choose that route. I'm currently taking kudzu, maximum 3.000 mg daily dose with only very modest improvement., but no side effects. $50 per month seems steep if used long term. Have ordered some other supplements and the moderation hypno cds from MWO but after 16 days they have not arrived. VERY FRUSTRATED HERE> Have been reassured by MWO after a couple of phone calls that everything is in the mail.

2. Can anyone guide me on Topamax.? I Ihink this is what will be most effective for me, but am leary of the "topa dopa" effect. I'm an RN and work in a critical caare setting, so mental focus and decent typing/compter skills are very necessary in my hurried work place. Is topamax fuzz work than working hung over in terms of word confusion, and typing with accuracy? Our software systems SUCK, and my typing skills aren't great by any means. I do try to proof read, but honestly don't always have the time to proofread when working in the meltdown mode.

Sorry this is so wordy. Thanks to anyone who can respond to any aspect of my concerns!

Sasafras

Newbie, needs advice!!

Hi Sasa, welcome. So glad you found this site. Sorry I can't answer your questions but there will be many who follow who will do so. I also work in a health care setting in the UK, in the NHS I would not ask colleagues for help or advice on alcohol issues as I feel and have witnessed others that they are then all of a sudden judged on performace from an alcohol point of view - ho hum, maybe more tolerant in the states? Anyway just want to welcome you.

Lorna
    Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Newbie, needs advice!!

Tea,

Thanks for your quick reply and encouragement. Will stay in touch., Sas

Comment

Newbie, needs advice!!

Sasafras,
        I'm having great results with the Topa but also having the dopa effect. At first I was not. After the dosage increase I noticed a reduced ability to concentrate. I though it was a withdrawal symptom from alcohol but after about 3 weeks I realized that it wasn't. I ordered the adrafinil but it has not arrived yet. RJ discusses this in her book. It is supposed to sounteract the dopa effect. Others have used it and say it works wonders. However it can have have an effect on the liver. You cannot buy it here in the US, so see the meds section on this forum for info about it.
        I had planned to try to moderate but now that I'm into this I realize that I need to go for abs. I drank too much for too long and I feel like I want to give my body a chance at health for how ever many years I have left and hopefully what ever damage I've done will stop right here. The point is I'm willing to put up with what ever I have to, to beat this thing.

Good luck to you and keep posting.

Melissa
        If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Newbie, needs advice!!

Hi rottrod,
          Thanks much for your response. I admire your focus and resolve to get on top of our shared issue with the alcohol demon.

May I ask you about how you have dosed since starting with topa. Did you start at 25 mg, and at what dose level did you begin to have dopa symptoms?

I too am interested in pursuing adfrainil if the dopa symptoms are problematic. Please keep me posted and let me know how the adfranil is working for you.

thanks, compassion and love, Carol

thanks s

Comment

Newbie, needs advice!!

insurance

this insurance issue has come up on the threads before. you might want to do a search for insurance.

one of the MWO members, might have been dilayne, has had trouble getting private insurance due to a diagnosis of alcoholism. it's possible that if you get such a diagnosis in your records, you might have trouble getting insured privately in the future. As I recall, Adagirl posted a nice list of diagnosis codes at one point.

with topa, ask to use the diagnosis code of migraines. I would talk to your doctor and ask what goes in your records. do some research on this.
            it seems that some doctors are discreet regarding substance abuse issues.

AS I wrote above, several members have addressed this important topic in other threads.

As for the topa dopa effect, as I recall one member said you can achieve a good effect at a low dose. maybe this is an option for you?

Rottrod, sorry to hear about the dopa effects you are dealing with!

good luck.

Comment

Newbie, needs advice!!

I'm still on a very low dose of topa (75 ml) and not having too much dopa effect but did at first. However, right now I am not working so that could be why. I can't answer the insurance ? It is prescribed for other reasons as well so does not have to show up as alcohol related (do you have book yet? other uses discussed) I was not drinking as much as you on a daily basis, I would do that much about 2/month with 2-4/day. I am still not cut down as much as I want and may still decide to just go totally AF but I am doing much better. It will really help if you can abstain for a while. Many people use other meds than topa. Good luck and welcome to the site

Comment

Newbie, needs advice!!

Hi Sasafras and a warm welcome.

Am afraid I can`t advise you on any aspect of the meds., as am not taking any. I can relate to your concern though about the expense, although many say it`s far less than the amount they used to spend on alcohol. And naturally, you will need a clear head when working in critical care..........am sure many on the meds. will be along to advise.

Would just like to say that the thought of abstaining just seemed like sheer deprivation for me as a wine-lover, and have successfully moderated for past 3 wks. after an initial 5 days being alcohol free.

I wish you much luck,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Newbie, needs advice!!

thanks for your feedback Nancy. Very helpful info.

Comment

Newbie, needs advice!!

Sasafras,
                    I started at 25mg then went by 25mg per week. I started noticing the dopa effect at 100 I think around the third day. I am a CPA so I have to concentrate somewhat. I work at home and what I would find myself doing is that I would be doing housework or gardening and I would think hey I'm supposed to be working, so I would get back to work and suddenly find myself cooking or doing household stuff again without even realizing it. That's when I realized I needed the help. I was taking an online continuing education course and could not get through it so I had to put off taking my Topa dosage in the morning until I completed the lessons for the day. These effects are supposed to be temporary. I'm at 150mg now and I don't think I need to go any higher. So, hopefully the dopa effect will wear off soon. By the time the Adrafinil arrives it may be gone.
                    Your doc may know of a drug that will counteract this as well, that you don't have to order through the mail.

Hope this helps.
                    If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Working...
                    X