Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies in need - Day 2

Hi Everyone:

Hope you are all doing well. Nancy: many thanks in yesterday's thread about focussing on the positive. I'm going to try that. When I don't drink, my thinking does often turn negative. Perhaps that what I try to avoid when I drink. Also, I realize that if I don't carve out some time & space for myself, no one else will. My loved ones will just keep on trying to see just how much I will do. I love the idea that we have a whole free month. I'm really going to try to experience it AF as much as I can. I did drink yesterday but not to excess. Today is another day. Love you all, Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Newbies in need - Day 2

Hi Mary,

Good luck for July. I am glad you have reinforced Nancy's thought on focussing on the positives.

I am feeling very down today and I need to boost myself a little. I'm very down about being unemployed at the moment, and I feel especially bad because I left a well paid management position to come here and now I can't seem to get even a basic position. It's very demoralising and for the first time in a while I feel like I want to drink.

I can't believe how much my mood has plummeted over night. I feel so useless and fed up. I don't know if this is a real emotion or if my "drinking voice" is some how trying to get me down so I'll drink.

I'm going to go to the gym for a little while, haven't really got the energy but it has to help a bit.

Kitty
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 2

monday!

Kitty: Do you mean you moved to a new city? It takes a while to find a new job and it can get very demoralizing (and lonely) to be unemployed. The gym is good though. Are there any freelance jobs you can do or some temp things until you find something so you don't have to take something below your skill level and don't have too much time on your hands? how long have you been looking? I think it's great that you are going through something like this without booze and cigarettes. Many jobs come through connections so I hope you have asked your friends and colleagues for leads.

I am going to try starting my days with an affirmation of my intentions and reflect in a non-judgemental on how well I did and why at night-time. I want this week to be AF. I did ok over the weekend but nowadays, for health reasons, I want to be within the low government guidelines for alcohol intake for women and I was over. But the last few weeks have been so much better. I was at a low point two weeks ago.

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 2

Hi Nancy,

I moved here to Wales from London, so it's a new country really although not very far away. I've been looking for a few weeks both for permanent and temporary but nothing suitable has come up. Was offered a good one last week but I couldn't get there without a car, so the offers are trickling in so hopefully soon something will come up.

Glad to hear your low point is behind you now, you sound really positve and I hope July is a good month for you.

Kitty
        Confucius

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 2

Kitty, I do so hope the gym helps. You are doing so well, you can't let that voice get to you. Just remember that you still have all those wonderful job skills and the right one will come. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. It is discouraging but hang on. It will get better. Retteach and Nancy sounds like you were both a tad over goal but making good progress. Keep it up. Appreciated comments/insights on yesterdays post. Hello to everyone to come and welcome to any newcomers who join us today. For Bluesky - who we hope is healing quickly; "One moment of unconditional love may call into question a lifetime of feeling unworthy and invalidate it." Rachel Remen

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 2

Kitty, I am sorry you are feeling down. I have 13 days AF and I know you are 1 ahead of me. I have been looking to you for inspiration...I am afraid of the domino affect if you give in (no pressure here...lol !!!) I think it must be the timing as I started to feel cranky yesterday. Felt like my family got to do all fun things they wanted while I got to do all the cleaning, shopping, cooking, etc. And the weather was so beautiful Well today is a new day. I think the gym is a good idea. I have been focusing on the good habits I have been starting. I have gone back to excersing which is something I gave up a year ago in my downhill slide. I used to run religiously. Now I have been running 6 days a week for the last 3 weeks...a good think. I feel much better. I have also been eating much healthier. (Now if the blasted weight I have gained would start coming off !!). You have made so much progress..just hold on for a few more days. Give that Monty a few cuddles...great name by the way. Keep posting. I read everyday but usually by the time I do everyone on this thread is headed to bed. I don't usually like to post from work but I so enjoy your posts...so hang in there.
            Lilac

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 2

AF day 1 for me. Drank a lot over the weekend, heck all week, so really want to do well. Getting my blood pressure taken today so will be curious what it is after the abuse. Kitty much luck on the job hunting, it messes w/ur ego when such things happen, but remember it's not YOU that is being rejected. There are many reasons not to choose someone for a job, decisions can be quite capricious and nothing to do with one's job history or skills.

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 2

Kitty: As I am sure you know, a few weeks isn't long for job hunting. It just seems longer because panic sets in. But seeing as you came from a good job in a big city, your skills probably will be very appreciated. Sounds like you are in transition right now, which presents special challenges but also provides an opportunity to shake up the old habits. the new you in wales doesn't drink or smoke!

Any possibilities for telecommuting work for people in London?

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 2

Hi Everyone:

Hart: Don't be surprised if your blood pressure is a liitle high, because drinking increases it. The reading may not be your "true" blood pressure.

Kitty: I know you'll get what you want in a job eventually. Keep trying!

Love to you all, Mary (Teach): my profession for 26 years until retirement in '05.
                  Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 2

Thanks everyone,

I won't give in Lilac, I don't want to start a domino effect (lol) I've been to the gym for a bit and I do feel a bit better. I just feel really emotional all of a sudden. Monty is helping but he is so cuddly and affectionate that that just makes me cry even more.

I shouldn't feel so sad, it's so without reason, sure the job thing isn't great but apart from that everything is fine. I really do think it's because my brain is getting used to not drowning in alcohol. Lilac maybe it is just a 3 week glitch if you were feeling cranky too.

If I drink I'm going to feel a hundred times worse I know, so I'll just have to ride this storm.

Kitty
                    Confucius

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 2

Kitty - I know how it feels! After two years at home I tried to get a job in the "real world" (outside of academia) and couldn't even get temp agencies to call me back! Finally made it to an interview w/an HR person who told me that probably no corp. would hire me because I was too educated for entry level, but didn't have enough experience for anything higher up! Wow - it was pretty soul shattering! I decided to just go full time with my "hobby" and now am doing well with it, and I can work from home so that I'm there for my 5 year old! I guess my point is: there is light at the end of the tunnel - even if you find yourself somewhere completely unexpected!

lilaclover - good for you!

hart - Been there - as a matter of fact last Friday (my first hangover in over a month). I'm taking one day at a time now, my goal is moderation. Nothing Friday, 2 beers Sat., nothing Sunday - so I'm hopeful! Don't know how I'll feel this evening, but if I decide to have a beer, I will pop the 2 kudzu 1st - that stuff really works!

To everyone else - hope everything is going well and have a GREAT day!

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 2

Hi all,
                        Had busy day and finally getting some `me` time........Phewwwww!!!

Am really trying to go with the positive thinking idea, so if `down`, am telling myself there`s only one way for all of us to go, and that`s up.........sounds easier said than done, but am gonna give it a whirl...........

Well, was good over weekend and enjoyed my weekly booze allowance and should be back AF `til Fri. at earliest, but BAD ANGEL nagged the Hell outta me when shopping today, resulting in me returning home accompanied by Chardonnay. Feel really shattered though, so think I`ll manage to resist popping it...........dunno though, as it`s only 8 pm here, and I would normally start drinking around 9.............

I just got huge cravings today, which seem to ebb and flow like the tide..........

Much love to you all,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 2

Hi everyone. I've dropped out for a while because I've had so much to do and been overly stressed. I don't know if I'm back, but been reading tonight and feel like I know you all and miss you. I’ve started drinking again, not as much as I used to, but every night. I haven’t started smoking cigarettes again though and I’m very glad of that. I have piled up so much work and think I’m a total workaholic and don’t know my limits. It’s too much detail to get into right now. I just need to clone myself into three people and I’ll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                          X