It's what I do not who I am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had an interesting realization a little while ago...that i refer to myself here and in other areas of my life as a "binge drinker". What I thought was I am someone who binge drinks sometimes, not a binge drinker. It's what I do not who I am. For me personally at the moment identifying myself as a problem only makes things worse and less hopeful, changing a behavior is a lot more doable than changing "who you are". I don't know if that is helpful to anyone else. Right now any thought or article or book that helps me reduce the stress a feel about "the problem" will ultimately halp me to deal with it better. Have a good weekend guys and dolls.

Out,
    Would have to say that I am an alcoholic, but the alcoholic is only a tiny part of who or what I am.............I am so many good things (as we all are) over and above my addiction.

Starlight Impress

Comment

It's not just you, we all do this about a lot of things, i.e., we often refer to a person with diabetes as a diabetic, or someone who flies planes as a pilot, etc.

I think you bring up an important point, which is not to see ourselves only in light of our problems or issues, whether it is drinking, an illness, depression, or some sort of character trait. I think we just have to re-train ourselves to consider ourselves (and others too ) as whole people.
      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
      X