Happy with my drinking tonight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a friend over tonight. A very dear friend. We often drink wine and talk forever, her always being more moderate or stopping early in the night as she has to drive and me continuing to drink onward. she is a very safe person for me to be with in any state and so I often overinduldge in her compnay...and truthfully I did so again tonight...but not nearly so much as I would have before. I started out kicking myself a little as I wanted to only have 2 glasses and of course had more, but Istopped waaaay sooner that I would usually. I didn't start before she got here and we completely even steven split the 1st bottle of wine. I probably drank anothr 3/4 of a bottle...yes too much but great for me on a Friday! Very happy. I attibute this to my thought about drinking being what I do not who I am, so for a moment or two when I was drank more that anticipated I said F' it and continued, but it wasn't that complete and total F'it I usually do before I drink until cooked. I actually felt a little uncomfortable being drunk and have started to feel better as I have been sobering up. I am just trying to be more aware of what I do and how I feel and that is making a difference. blessing to all

Being more aware is a good first step and I'm glad it is helping you cut back. Have you tried the kudzu an L-glutamine? They may help you be happy with just splitting the 1st bottle on Fri.

Comment

Hey! I'm sitting here w/a Scotch on rocks beside me. For some reason tonight wanted to drink. Since my goal is no more blackouts and no more hangovers I'm thinking I'll be okay - but I have been sooo good at mods lately that i'M FINDING MYSELF (Oops) needing to come here? I didn't take the kudzu until I'd already had 2 drinks (scotch). I only had 2 (according to hubby who says a drink=what covers the ice) - but I broke a glass because when I went to pick it up there was an ice film on it that I wasn't aware of - it just slipped right out of my hand!

G- damnit! Is that just an accident, or is it becaue of me?

OUT - I respond to your posts because I think we may be on the same "wavelength".

Now I have to go figure out my new Ipod - I have long fingernails and accidentally chose Russian (I think) as my language!

Comment

Update -Ipod fixed, vey simple, gotta love Google! Now have to worry about the music! Me wandering around the house w/an Ipod has not been a good thing in the past!

Comment

Out

I too think we are on a similar wavelength. My oldest friend tends to come on a Friday and I have found my self totally out of control when I am drinking with her. She is so safe and rarely judges and I know I am in trouble when she talks about it. In fact it was after I went overboard when she was here one night that sent me to MWO. SHe doesn't drink and drive so drinks coffee on those nights she doesn't stay but knows I start about 5.30 trouble is I can be in bed by nine. When she does stay I out drink her by about a bottle and am terrified she will break ingto my share!.

Thing is I have realised I am abusing this relationship, I have blamed her in the past for being so boring and causing me to drink!!! asif a drunk can blame someone else for that. Part of my soul searching lately has been about my friend and how I rebuild a healthy relationship with her as I love her very much especially as the years pass. Where would we be without those wonderful friends who support and love us withour judgement - I suddenly feel so very lucky, sometimes bolts of lightening are good things

Sal

Comment

Hi out,
            Good to hear you`re feeling a sense of achievement.
            It`s so easy to drink when chilling out with good company, especially those we feel particularly comfortable with. You planned on having 2 drinks but carried on drinking, probably because you felt relaxed and were enjoying chatting to your friend.........I figure you drank about 1 1/4 btls, whereas you could have gone on to drink a lot more and got completely smashed.Becoming aware of our consumption and our drinking pace is progress in itself.
            I used to feel that it was fine to drink a btl/wine a night as that amount buzzed me without me being p*****, until I faced facts, that while I wasn`t drinking loads any particular night, I was drinking a btl. far too often.Also, back then, I would drink the wine as if it were juice........btl. would be gone in about 2 hrs.

As some have already said, as we become more aware of how much we are drinking and face up to the reality of the pattern our drinking follows, we can begin to introduce changes no matter how small.

Before I attempted to moderate, I thought nothing of drinking a btl. a night (used to be a lot more in the past). Now, I find that I feel the effect of a couple of glasses of wine a lot quicker, to such an extent that I tend to share a btl. out over 2 nights, as I`m now terrified of hangovers and I feel drinking a whole btl. isn`t truly inkeeping with terming myself a moderator.

However, I now find I stop at 3 glasses max., not because I want to (I don`t!!!), but because I feel I should stop then. I feel more conscious of my drinking which is causing me to try to be more responsible.

Starlight Impress

Comment

Hangover...NOT

Thanks guys, This friend of mine doesn't judge me, enjoys my company buzzed, drunk or sober, as I enjoy hers buzzed, drunk or sober. We can wind up chillin out and drinking together on my back porch or going to a movie or for a walk and we just never know how our evening is gonna go till we're there. I for the most part in the past few years have tried to do my drinking in safe situations, there have been a few times that I haven't. While that has been a really good thing to do it has also allowed me to drink more as I don't have to drive, I'm with people who won't judge me etc. Truth is I can stop when I have to or want to, the trick I guess is wanting too. I have been in many situations with coworkers wherer I will have a beer or a drink, maybe 2, because I don't want to get smashed in front of them...after 2 I do worry about controlling myself, becasue then I have a little buzz and my drinking could go in any direction!

I did tell my friend I was trying to cut back on my drinking. I told her about my surreal experience on Tuesday night that I posted here earlier, where a woman I was sitting with puked under our outdoor table and that that night really shook me. The really strange part for me is that she stayed and didn't go home. I don't want to be like that or be with people who are. I am not judging the woman, I have been that excessive many times, albeit I puke in private. It just wasn't safe or comfortable.

I did take some Kudzu and Glutimine---didn't really make a difference except maybe psychologically--I bought a reputable brand, but I think I should try another. How much of each do you'll take before drinking? I have ordered the book and CD's, but haven't gotten them yet, so I am just kinda winging it with dosage and timing.

Sal, I'm sure you will be able to repair the relationship. Maybe just don't drink with her for a while? My friend situation is a little different, as she is perfectly happy to be with me when I am drunk or sober or anything inbetween. It is great not to be judged and she knows some of the really deep reasons why I need to escape sometimes, she has her own way of doing that too they are just different from mine. The only trouble with the non judgement is it gives me cart blanc to be really excessive with her, well, because I can. Maybe you could do something with your friend that doesn't involve drinking, a movie, an event and then go out for coffee afterwards to talk without drinking. I know you care for her, but hey, maybe you'll find out that she is really boring and that you only want to spend certain kinds of time with her or be with her and have some other form of entertainment going on. You can really love someone and still find them boring at times, that's OK. Or maybe you'll think she's really interesting. Who knows?

Startlight, Sounds like you have done and are doing a really great job fostering that awareness in yourself. Thanks for sharing.

SheShe, are you downloading russian music now? I just bought an I-pod and am still trying to figure it out. Welcome to the 21st Century! I think I'm gonna love it. I wouldn't worry about the glass. While we are talking about cultivating awareness etc, I also think questioning whether every little thing or dropped glass is the result of our drinking, could drive you bonkers...no use crying over spilled scotch!

See ya later

Comment

Newbee on Board

:new: I am so thankful to have found this forum. Drinking has consumed my thoughts and life for so long and I can't stand the thought of being without my wine. Last night I drank 2 bottles by myself. I have stopped enjoying the things that used to bring me pleasure because I am hungover all the time and dehydrated from the night before- no energy. I woke up this morning and knew in my heart that something has to change. I simply plugged into my search engine "How can I stop drinking?" and found this site. Perhaps 7/07/07 will be my luckiest day and the start to a new life and way of thinking about the short and long term effects of alcohol. Wish me luck, guys.

Comment

:new: I did the same thing this morning. Got up, got on the computer and started looking for help. I can't even imagine not having my wine, but I am tired of the way it makes me feel (and the way it makes me treat others) after a few hours. Lack of sleep, no energy, weight gain, depression. It's not worth it any more. I wish you well.

Comment

Good Luck everybody!

It looks like there were a few of us looking on our computers this morning for help! GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY! X :l

Comment

There seems to be...

a lot of new morning sun here today...I think it is so interesting that the last 3 newbie poster's screen names all start with sun. It is good omen I'm sure. Good luck guys. welcome

I had a lovely hangover free day today. I slept a little more poorly last night than usual, because of drinking I think, but I didn't drink enough to be hungover this morning. That was great!

Comment

Welcome to our 3 new Suns! If you start a thread to introduce yourselves, lots of folks will drop by to welcome you. Best of luck to all of you.

Comment

Thanks so much for your well wishes! It is a bit ironic that 3 of us have "Sun" in our login names. My friends call me Sunny because they say I am always so positive and fun! Well, I may be fun while I'm out partying- alas, NOT so the day after. I need to remember it is not my job to entertain others by getting toasted and making an A__ of myself. I had a really good nite last night in that I knew when to say "when" and had the best night's sleep I have had in a very long time. This is a good thing!

Comment

Working...
                          X