Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First post

Hello everyone,

I'm another binge drinker . I haven't had a drink for 9 days. I had my first binge when I was 13. I have never drunk in moderation. I'm now 36. I can't sleep well. I crave for alcohol and there is a dry taste in my mouth come evening. I'm starting to feel depressed. How much longer do you think these symptoms will go on? Or this that up to me? I don't know if I'm physically dependant, psycologically dependant or not at all.

Any advice?

Cinister

First post

Welcome Cinister!!

I can't answer on the symptoms because I haven't gone 9 days w/out alcohol in years.

I am sure others can, though, because plenty here have!!

However, :welcome: and :goodjob: on the 9 days!!

You are off to a great start!!

Lots of advice here and glad you are here!!

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

First post

((Cinister))

I was on medication (Campral) when I went off medicaton and I had little or no symptoms. And that was after drink most every day 12 beers. So I did well. I'm starting again after having been 30 days AF. I would drink plenty of liquids to keep yourself hydrated.

Comment

First post

hi cinister,

unusual name?

:welcome:

and good luck

Diamond
        I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
        I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

First post

Welcome Cinister
          Going 9 days without alchohol is really impressive so what does day 10 look like? I would like to hear more from you.
          Glad you found us and hope you stick around.
          "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

First post

:welcome:

9 days is a great start. But the symptoms you describe can make it tough to keep it up. Have you thought about reading RJ's book (you can download it from this site). After reading it, you will probably want to try some of the supps and the CD's. In any case, please keep us updated. It's great to hear from you.
            Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

First post

:welcome: cinister! Good work on 9 days! Hope you're on to your 10th now!

The symptoms of alcohol withdrawal can be helped with a healthy diet (no sugar, no hi-carb, hi-fat junk food, lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains--you know, good food!) and vites and other supplements (for supps see RJ's book)--and drink lots and lots of water...I mean just as much as you can pour down yourself!

Hope this helps~~glad you're here, and keep posting so we can get to know you and offer our support!
              "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

First post

Just wanted to say "Hi" cinister. I can't be much help to you because I've not been as successful as you yet. 9 days is wonderful. I agree with everyone that you should read the book and use the site as a support. You can do it!! Let us know how you're doing!
                "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." Ralph Waldo Emerson :rays:

Comment

First post

Hi Cinister-- nice to meetcha!

9 days is great.

FWIW, I don't know about the dry mouth, but the dehydration observation sounds possible.

If it were me I'd say it was psychological withdrawal-- I know I do my binge drinking when I'm bored, lonely, anxious, depressed, scared, or celebrating....

It's a deeply rooted neural response network that grows stronger each time you make the decision.

Stimulus (situation/feeling/person)-->response (drink)-->reward (drunk, numb, social, etc).

So, to change the habit you have to go put something else in response to the stimulus. Of course it's going to feel wierd and strange until the biological pathway takes root and feels familiar.

I'm new here, I'm still trying to figure out my 'new' behavior for these situations-- running? writing? cleaning?

Don't know myself, but

Maybe it's time to see a therapist?

It's a lot of change, and I'd expect a lot of raw emotions that used to be blotted out.
                  Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.
                  Talent will not-- nothing is more common than
                  unsuccessful people with talent.
                  Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
                  Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
                  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
                  The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve
                  the problems of the human race.
                  -- Calvin Coolidge

Comment

First post

Hi cinister and a warm welcome.

I suppose the heavier the drinker the more they`ll suffer on quitting, although even the heaviest drinker can manage the detox a whole lot easier when done under medical supervision.

Now that you`ve gone 9 days without a drink, I would say that physically, you`re in the clear. I`ve never done the recommended 30 days of abstention, but others who have will be able to tell you how they`ve felt when in their second week, like yourself.

You are doing wonderfully well hus far..........long may it continue.

I wish you love and luck,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Working...
                    X