Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting over........Again!

Hi Everyone,

It's been about six months since I've posted. I was so sincere about my sobriety the last time around...and as we do, I got sidetracked. I could make all kinds of excuses..... moved house, family problems, etc, etc. You know the routine! And, at this point, I am starting to fear for my health......

So here I am again........ For about ten years now, I have been alcohol dependent. It has now gone from my nightly bottle of wine to half a bottle (or more) of vodka.........sometimes first thing in the morning just to alleviate the morning "jitters". I have just recently gone two days AF, but woke up this morning in such a state that I had to have a shot of something just to make me feel "normal"!!

So could really use some help, encouragement, anything. Feeling pretty crappy right now. I have been reading your posts daily for months now, and all of you are so wonderfully supportive.

Good luck to everyone............

Scarlet

Hi Scarlet

Welcome Home.

I'm just off to bed, it's late at my house.

My only word of advice to you, if you are truly alcohol dependent, is to NOT go cold turkey but to ask your doctor for medication to take for withdrawl.

I'm not questioning you here, but those of us "dependent" rather than those not are in more danger of running into trouble during withdrawl, heart problems, seizures etc.

My eyes are closing, my brain failing, I must sleep.

I just wanted to wlecome you back and wish you well.

magic xx:schmokin:
    ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
    I am in the next seat.
    My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, Magic........and Sweet Dreams!

I have been through withdrawal so many times before....sometimes with meds, sometimes without. Most of the time, I prefer to do it "cold turkey" so as to not have to confront my family doc. I know, I know.........I need to find another doctor. But I think no matter who my doctor was, understanding or not, I'd feel the same sense of shame and embarrassment. REALLY need to get over that.....

But for the moment, I am trying to address this on my own. (Well, not really on my own.........as I have all of you here to support me.)

Look forward to hearing from you........

Scarlet

Comment

hi scarlet,

i know its easy for me to say but the shame and embarrassment is because you are aware of their judging you. if they are, so what? you have to do this for you, think of the benefits of speaking to the doctor. the first week or so is physical so the doctor can give you something to prevent the jitters, better than a swig in the morning!

roxane

Comment

Hi Scarlet,
          Know how you feel about embarressment and feeling judged; I too want to try without seeing GP. Feel so pleased I have discovered this site and so many suportive people out there who are or have been in the same predicatment. So many inspirational thoughts, ideas and non-judgemental support. Welcome back and good luck. You can do it!
          Butterfly

Comment

butterflybe and roxane....

Hi there,

Can hardly type this for the shakes........yes, know that I would be much better off in the drs office right now, but realistically, by the time that I had an appointment, all this would be over. Just thanks to both of you for the support!!

Am doing ok at the moment.........know what to expect and that in itself helps. More than anything, the feedback that I am experiencing from this website helps more than anything!!

Love to all of you,
            Scarlet

Comment

Hi Scarlet,
              Good luck with the journey, hun...Take a deep breath and concentrate on something else...
              I too was a bottle plus of vodka a day girl and I tried to stop a couple of times but this time it seems to have stuck.I took no drugs just went cold poultry:H
              I was waiting for the heeby jeebies to bite me on the bum but they didnt show...much to my surprise but I dont think everyone is the same, as you can tell by all the different experiences expressed here.
              Try to put your mind to something more productive or just try distracting yourself.
              But try hard not to turn to that nasty beast :no:
              I didnt just take a drink in the morning to stop the shake(never had 'em really) I just drank in the morning to get hammered. My buddy the bottle.....:h
              I'm just a few days shy of 9 months AF now and I have here to thank for it...
              I had great support, especially at the beginning, and have always come here when I needed some understanding company..
              Were all here for you :goodjob:
              Victoria xxooxx

Comment

Well done to you Victoria and great supportive information for Scarlet and the rest of us. Nearly 9 months AF. Fantastic.
                Butterfly

Comment

***waving hi to Scarlet***

I hope you get through what you're going through OK. Another Vodka girl here. Today is Day 2 of AF for me if I make it, as I plan to, I can't even RECALL how long ago it's been since I had TWO AF days in a row (can't really remember the last time for 1). So....I'm right here with ya and looking forward to sharing the journey.

Victoria, I can identify with your story. I really don't even remember when exactly "5PM" became "It's 5PM somewhere" which become "3PM" then "3PM somewhere" then "Noon" then "Noon somewhere." I am ashamed to admit that "noon somewhere" all to frequently came before 8AM did there at the end. (at least I'm gonna fight like hell to end the madness!)

CONGRATULATIONS on 9 months AF. I am inspired greatly by your story!!! Thank you for sharing.

DG
                  Day 2 AF
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                  X