Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reason # 3

Hello all!!!

Hope you had a good Tuesday. I was so busy that "the beast" could not be heard!!! Today is going to be key for me. I am hosting a dinner with my mother this evening in which wine will be served. I love my mother dearly but she can be a real trigger for me! Please send me psychic mental strength this evening. It will help to know it is coming from all over the globe!!!

Reason # 3 (that I want to remain AF): When I drink and get angry or lose my temper I discount the feeling and blame it on the wine. Hmmmm, Could it be that I was really angry . . . and better yet could it be that I had a right to be angry? I grew up thinking that "good girls" are agreeable . . . we don't get mad. We go along with the flow.
    When I am not drinking, I give my feelings (good and bad) a little more credit.

A little long winded this Wednesday)

Hugs to all!!

Reason # 3

Evergreen,

Will be thinking of you today and your dinner.

Perhaps the answer to how to get through tonight is in your Reason #3? Wouldn't it be great to go through the whole experience sober so that you can respond appropriately to the triggers instead of through the numbness of alcohol?

Good luck!! (And have fun, too!!)

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Reason # 3

Hi Evergreen-

What? Your Mother triggers you? I can't imagine such a thing! I especially love this when my Mom is having a drink and I am not. No anesthesia :upset:

Here's hoping you glide through it as stress-free as possible-

luv wonder xx

Comment

Reason # 3

Evergreen: I can relate to your "trigger". Good luck with abstaining tonight. Now that I don't drink, I "feel" all emotions whether they be good or bad. I ride out the stressful times without alcohol. It took a lot of practice, but I just go with the flow. Everyday is an adventure. Accept you Mom for who she is. You can't change her. So don't put that stress upon yourself. Just get through the evening and enjoy it the best you can without the drink. Just deal. You'll be happy you did. Laugh off the stressful and annoying situations after she leaves. Have fun and keep us posted!
        September 23, 2011

Comment

Reason # 3

Ever: I'm w/you all the way. I too numbed my feelings, especially anger, w/alcohol. I too was taught that anger is unacceptable. I'm just beginning (at the age of 62) to express my feelings appropriately.

I'm probably your mom's age. I'm sure my kids have plenty of baggage about me...it's inevitable. However, she loves you & you love her. You can get through this wo/drinking. You'll feel better about yourself & her. Set a precedent today of not drinking because of your mom. You can do it...I know you can. Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Reason # 3

since i have been sober, my feelings have been incredible. peeks and valleys, but still, much better then not really having any when i drink. experiencing a "high" today from a simple speech i heard today was incredible. being sober is the best thing for me. stay strong

Comment

Reason # 3

Good luck Evergreen. My thoughts are with you. Mothers are major triggers, especially if mixed with alcohol. You sound very strong to me, though. Let us know how it goes.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Reason # 3

Yep - good luck evergreen with your dinner tonight. Mother's are major triggers for many. You will do well - because you do sound strong!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X