First Doctors Appt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Doctors Appt.

I have finally gotten up the nerve to have a complete physical on Monday. I need to face the music about how much damage I have done to my liver. Has anyone had any reprecussions (i.e., insurance cancellation, rates rising) based on the results of a physical? I am concerned that I will be dropped from my policy if I come clean with my new Dr. (I don't know her yet). Thanks!
    Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

First Doctors Appt.

Hi gabby1go-

Awesome that you're going to the Doc! When I went a few weekes ago, it really helped me to feel like I was making a fresh start. My suggestion would be - that when you go, after you tell her your story, tell her straight out also about your concern with the health insurance and having the reason for your visit send up a red flag. They (dr.'s) know what we're up against, and depending on the individual doc, she may be able to help. The new doc I went to (though it was not for a full physical, just meds) really appreciated my honesty and that I was taking charge of my health and he was able/willing to code the visit with something other than alcohol/addiction stuff. That was just my case, but see what she says.
    The most important thing is taking care of yourself. Having an alcohol problem is nothing to be ashamed of - especially when you're facing it head on to get better! Way to go!!!!
    :goodjob:
    best of luck-let us know how it goes-
    wonder xx

Comment

First Doctors Appt.

Gab1, that is why I never told my doctor anything about my drinking. I just said I wanted certain test because things run in my family. I have been blessed that after many years of alcohol abuse I am perfectly healthy. I recall that Dilayne posted on here that once she quit her job and went to find new insurance, that she was turned down because of her alcoholic abuse was in her medical records. My advice proceed with caution. Or find a doctor and private pay to keep insurance out of it. Best of luck
      Mar

Comment

First Doctors Appt.

Thanks for the advice. Can I ask what the specific test was?

Comment

First Doctors Appt.

good job

Gab, I think it is good for you to go to a doc, take everyone's advise though since I work in the medical field, I see problems w/ codings of conditions and insurance issues etc.

The test she probably had done was liver function panel, and complete metabolic panel, I may be wrong, but that usually can show liver damage, they may do a complete blood count too, since drinking does damage red blood cell productio/heath.

Let us know how it goes, good luck:goodjob:

MA
          :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

First Doctors Appt.

How do you think I should approach the visit? I appreciate any advice!

Comment

First Doctors Appt.

There is usually not a problem if you work for a company where there is an insurance pool and the risk is spread over a number of employees. The same is true if you are married and you are covered under your spouse's policy. They can't deny you coverage then, if you change jobs or move to a new job. It becomes a problem if you or your spouse or partner are self-employed. Then you can be denied coverage, or you will only be offered coverage that excludes any treatment for alcohol abuse or dependence.

I would suggest that you go in for the physical and feel the doctor out before you say too much. Many doctors these days are pretty responsive, but you never know if you're going to run into a cold fish. If your liver enzymes come back a little elevated, you can say that you have been drinking a little more lately and clearly you need to cut back. Also some medications can cause elevated liver enzymes. Most docs won't label you an alcoholic for that. If you find that you really trust your doc, you can level with them and explain why you don't want an alcohol dependence dx on your records. Tell her about MWO and your plans to cut down or stop. Give her the web address and tell her to look it up if she is more interested. My doctor, my psychiatrist and my therapist all know about MWO and have been very supportive.

My main suggestion is to feel her out first before you tell her. You can take it from there.

Good luck!

Hugs,:l

Kathy
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

First Doctors Appt.

If I remember correctly the last time I had a full physical they ran a full metabolic panel. Thats one of the ways they picked up on my thyroid problem. Just inquire if they are going to run one, say you want a baseline reading for future reference....

-lorelei
                Suddenly I see
                This is what I want to be
                suddenly I see
                Why the hell it means so much to me.

-KT Tunstall

Comment

First Doctors Appt.

Thanks for the info everyone! I am not going to lay all of my cards on the table at first. I will feel her out to see if I like/trust her. I will have to schedule the blood tests for after the first visit anyway so if I find that she may not be responsive I won't take them and find another doc. Wish me luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X