slipped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slipped

So last night I was at someones house doing a "tasting" for this juice I distribute and the hostess offered us some one and before I knew it I said "sure" I drank less than half of it but when Igot home I felt so guilty I wanted to vomit. I have done so good and made it so far and now I feel like I have to start over. I was so proud of my AF date and Idon't want to change it. It did not taste good and made me very congested.
    Help

slipped

wine

I forgot to say it was a glass of red wine.

Comment

slipped

Help, don't worry about the date. It's great you did not let it become a full-scale relapse. You can choose to be grateful for the opportunity to learn more about how your mind works around alcohol. Think about what was going on with you when you said "yes" to some red wine. Whatever it is, is likely to happen again. What will you do next time, knowing you will be in a place where someone offers you wine?

wip

Comment

slipped

Oh, Help. I don't know what to say. I know how badly you feel. I really don't feel qualified to tell you what to do. Let some others tell you what they think, think about all the replies, then do what's in your heart. I almost feel like you didn't slip. I mean, I'm sure people who are AF have eaten candy, cake, or other cooked things with AL in them before without knowing. I think a slip has to be intentional. That's just my feeling. But again, it depends on you and your feelings. I'm very proud to know someone so honest and determined. Congratulations. Whatever has happened, you're a winner!
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

slipped

Okay, you had a drink and you have to reset your sobriety date - hard to swallow (like that glass of wine) but life goes on.

More importantly, it sounds like you learned something from it, which is key. You learned that no matter how good you are doing you can never, ever let your guard down, and you learned what it feels like to disappoint yourself - but to do it in a positive way (if that makes sense).

Remember when you used to get mad at yourself because you couldn't stop?? Now your getting mad at yourself for starting - would seem to be an important distinction to me.
          Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

slipped

Hi Help,
            This is why I call myself a modder, rather than AF, even though in 4 months I have had less than one full glass of alchohol, just a few sips on three separate occasions. I can taste or toast, but don't plan to "drink" again. But I won't beat myself over it the AF number and I hope you don't either. You did awesome! If you feel you must choose a date in your signature, try something like "sober since" or "beating AL since"... that date is a new beginning and you are doing wonderfully, so keep it, and keep up the great work! :l
            You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

slipped

Ruby, it sounds as if Help accepted the glass of wine and drank half of it, knowing it was alcohol. I don't think it's helpful to encourage people to think of a choice to drink as an "accident." Taking responsibility is a HUGE part of recovery and relapse prevention! Take a look at AATh's post... it's absolutely right on target.

wip

Comment

slipped

Judging by how bad you feel after 1/2 glass of wine, I'd say you're not headed down the gutter! More importantly I think is did you learn how to handle a situation like this in the future?
                Did you think it could happen? (I mean wine being offered) And what your response was going to be, or did you just react without thinking?? My problem is I plan all day to say no, and then change my mind. But I always try to consider whether I think it's worth it or not. I think it's crucial for us to PLAN. Have something else with you to drink if you need to.
                Regardless, it was a learning experience and perhaps a test. I say, don't beat yourself up!
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

slipped

Thank you all for the words of encouragement, I just reacted without thinking however; I was thinking when I took a sip here and there. So in the future if I think someone may be offering AL at one of these tastings I will always take an L-glut.
                  Help

Comment

slipped

A Work in Progress;449828 wrote: Ruby, it sounds as if Help accepted the glass of wine and drank half of it, knowing it was alcohol. I don't think it's helpful to encourage people to think of a choice to drink as an "accident." Taking responsibility is a HUGE part of recovery and relapse prevention! Take a look at AATh's post... it's absolutely right on target.

wip
                    Sorry, I misunderstood. Thanks, WIP. I thought you didn't know it AL. Yep, if you did, that's a choice. Still, you're doing great!
                    sigpic
                    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

slipped

I'm with River on this. My goal is to be an occasional drinker, which means rarely on a weeknight, and also not on many weekends. I am just about there. But I would not want to agonize over situations like this. I will always need to be vigilant about consuming alcohol. But I can still have that glass when the occasion comes along.
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                      X