Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Can't Believe I Found This Place!

Hi:

I just joined today. I think it's just what I needed!

My name is CinamonKiss and I have a drinking problem that I have wanted to control for many years now, since my best friend died 8 years ago. Last night, I drank 3 glasses of wine. The night before, 3 glasses. The night before, 3 glasses. Abstinence 3 days prior.

I successfully lost 50 lbs, and have kept it off for 1.5 years now. I workout/exercise 5-6 days per week, and eat healthy most of the day, until my night time wine drinking leads to overeating/bingeing. My resolve not to drink is usually good in the morning, and during the day, but when I get home at night, I give into temptation, and lose all willpower.

Yesterday I went grocery shopping, and did not IMMEDIATELY give in to the temptation to go to the liquor store that is right next door to the grocery store. But after having driven all the way home, I turned right around, and drove back out to another liquor store and purchased 2 bottles of wine! By God's grace I want the one bottle left to remain unopened unless my husband drinks it alone. The other bottle is in the fridge 7/8 empty, all my doing.

Why do I want to stop drinking? Deep down, I feel that drinking is short-circuiting my Spiritual walk with God, and blunting my effectiveness to others. I do not want to debate whether Christians should abstain from alcohol, or whether moderation is enough. FOR ME, abstinence has to be my goal--I have NEVER been able to do ANYTHING in moderation. Abstinence is where I believe God has called me to be, and I am certain my spiritual life will grow leaps & bounds as I accomplish this important spiritual goal, which has been an impediment for getting to the next level.

Also, if I am to maintain my weight loss long-term, my Coach advised that I need to abstain from all trigger foods. Alcohol is my trigger food, because I usually have 3 drinks, and THEN begin craving chocolate, cheese (I only keep 75% fat free cheese in my house, but still...), and anything else that's not nailed down. Alcohol is my ONLY trigger food, and I WILL NOT gain my weight back!

I have abstained for brief periods before. While working with my Coach in 2007 for weight loss, he encouraged me to abstain for months at a time, in between my vacations, and I am certain this was the only way I was able to lose weight. Briefly, from Sept-Nov, 2008 I abstained, and then BLEW IT when I went home for Thanksgiving, and have struggled with it ever since. We are now mid-February!

After a night of drinking, I always rise and pray to God for forgiveness, but I am tired of saying the same old stale prayers to Him! After last night, 3 drinks and chocolate, crackers and cheese I gained 2 lbs. This a.m. I asked God to show me HOW to stop drinking. Right after praying I got online, and somehow found this site.

I am so thankful for a place where I could come out and admit this, and get help, and also be an encouragement to others!

Hi and :welcome: i too have noly just found this site recently and its really helpful. stick around

Comment

Your here and we are so Happy for U

:welcome::l Me too, I'm 20 days old in MWO and God does answer prayers, not always right away or how we would like them to be answered but 'In God's Time Not Mine.

A suggestion, Click on Search, Type in EvieLou and press enter. So far for me she among many many others have been extremely helpful. There are too many names to mention. Panicked sticks in my mind for her alcohol free drinks thread and others joined in.

Plus you'll find you connect with various people because of their determination and their kind words of wisdom.

God Bless! Place big fat HuGGable here :l

Comment

Doggiegirl is another one as far as determination and weigh loss go. I am totally in awe of her accomplishments.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Welcome !! This has made all the difference for me.

Comment

:welcome: This is a great site, climb aboard!
            Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Hi Cinnamon -- and welcome to MWO. It is a wonderful place with some wonderful people who sincerely care about your sobriety. They will support you and advise you all along the way. When I first came to MWO I was drinking heavily and felt about it much the way you do. I have to admit that I even posted here while I was drinking. Also, I had been to AA, counselors, and whatever for years. Even once long ago I had stopped for 4 years but then blew it. I think it is this site, MWO, which got me sober going on 9 months now. I took antabuse for the first 6 months and that helped enormously. I am so thankful for this place and thankful that we can share it with you. So welcome and God bless.
              Matt

Comment

I am so glad you have found us and I look forward to getting to know you...stay close to this site and post often. feel free to PM me if I can help.
                sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

I'm new here too. Been here for 3 weeks. I have met wonderful people going thru the same things as I have.

I got tired of going to church hung over. Yep, I'm a christian. Drinking and going to church. How bad is that. I mean I was a fake. None of my family, church friends or other friends know I am going thru this.

Read and post. You will see that you are not alone. :welcome:
                  RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

alcohol is bad for the soul

Welcome here. This site and some of the wonderful people on here has really helped me. My secret little army as we battle the evil foe alcohol.

I do think that alcohol just kills the soul. It is like the devil's brew and I am neither Christian or anything. I believe in spirituality and it just cripples us. Alcohol is like a big, black spectre. I have lost family members to alcohol and some were so bad, they looked just like the exorcist and I really felt this black entity with them. I could really feel it. It was like they carried it on their soul. So I do totally respect and understand where you are coming from.

I do recite the lords prayer and what is that it says 'lead us not into temptation!!!'

good luck

Comment

Hi CK, what a beautiful way to find this site!!!
                      Good luck, with our help & His help you'll be OK.

Angel xo

Comment

Working...
                      X