Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To drink or not to drink.....( non alcoholic beer or wine )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To drink or not to drink !?!
    This is a delema that most alcoholics face.......first you have to ask yourself : Why did I drink ? Is it for the taste of the beverage....or is it to get drunk ! Most drunks are not conicures of fine drink.......they just want to get drunk. So as I sit and ponder the thought of having a non-alcoholic drink in place of a "real" drink.....for abstainers.....it's better to not drink at all.....(Just my thoughts) Raven's Journal......IAD
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

Well personally i only drank to get drunk,i never ever remember drinking for thirst or because i liked it for the taste,i drank wine with meals not to compliment the meal but to give me that extra buzz for later as i could not drink many pints with a full belly of food.So non alcoholic drinks will always be a no no for me.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi IAD, interesting question. Personally when I was a 7 day a week drinker I sometimes drank to get drunk and blackout but most of the time I drank out of habit I guess. I like(d?) the taste of a nice quality red wine and different beers and I have tried AF ones previously. Most of them are not great tbh but there are a couple of varieties of beer that are nice and I dont see anything wrong with having the odd one if I fancied a beer but dont want to drink, which is pretty much all of the time now. I reckon the purists will say ah but there can be .5% AL in them and they will give you a taste for the AL versions and they could very well be right but I never found this personally. Just my opinion of course.
      Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

If I were abstinent and I had a non-alcoholic beer I am sure my next thought would be 'This is pointless, I'll have a very weak alcoholic beer'! The next thought would be 'oh, just one 'proper' beer' can't hurt'...I would be back to square one in days...

I hated the taste of alcohol, and from the first drank for effect. I then came to enjoy the taste - purely association with inebriation? The only reason if abstinent to drink non-alcoholic beer would be the association with getting drunk, I am sure.
        I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

why temp it there are so many other good and tasty drinks out there .. and how the saying goes outs of sight outa of mind ..ha tlrgs love ya buddy
          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

who needs the calories!!!???

Comment

Well, I always started out loving the taste of very good wine.....but, after the third glass (and there was always a third and more!) I could have cared less if it was 2 Buck Chuck or a rare vintage!

And no, I do not drink the non-al varieties. No point to it, they taste awful and their are so many other non-al beverages that I do enjoy!
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Raven Journel......."Drinking" Nevermore........IAD Ha!
                Dr. Seuss

Comment

I do enjoy an occasional na beer. Beer has some good things for you in it. Also, take out the alcohol, and alot of the calories go away too. This one is dicey for many as they fear it will trigger a relapse. So far so good for me! You'd have to pound ten in less than an hour to feel the effects of ONE beer. Not likely!!

Comment

Gear.......Drinking a brew..every once -in-while is your prorocative, Can you do it !? and not make it a sixpack .....You'll Know where your problem becomes too big for you to handle.....
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

To me, NA wine tastes like I imagine baby poop might taste. No thanks.

I didn't mind NA beer on rare occassion. However I now take a pass on all of it, mainly because it is really NOT considered acceptable in AA. I'm not interested in arguing the point with people who are helping me stay sober. And thankfully, NA beer doesn't MATTER to me one way or the other, YAY. (that was an awesome realization) I am learning to live an honest life so I don't even drink these on the sly.

For me, this is all good even though my reasons likely don't apply to that many people here. (well, except that I'm sure at least one person is either wondering what baby poop tastes like, or wondering what NA wine tastes like.....:H)

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggy Girl ! And I thought I was over dealng with Baby Grap !! ha! I told my kids I don't want to be a Pre-mature Grandfather.......so far-so-good ! ha!
                        Dr. Seuss

Comment

IAD;801707 wrote: Doggy Girl ! And I thought I was over dealng with Baby Grap !! ha! I told my kids I don't want to be a Pre-mature Grandfather.......so far-so-good ! ha!
                          Well, if you want to be over the baby crap then I guess you better not go for any AF wine! :H

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi IAD,

I pass on all the AF drinks too.............
                            Can't vouch for the taste of them, I've never bothered to try them.

I love being a first time grandmother - I'm having a lot of fun

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I have had that some inner fight...should I ty the AF drinks. I tried the AF champagne, but other than that why bother. I drank to get drunk. I think if I did the AF route I would end up pissed off and going for the real deal. I'd rather drink a really great coffee or a really good juice. PLUS I can drink one of those and stop. Much cheaper route. I can't tell you how much money I have saved. I always bought really good wines...well until I ran out and was drunk as hell ...then I drank whatever was in the house. I was spending about 1000.00 a month on booze. RIDICULOUS.....I have redecorated my house, just bought my daughter a car....none of that would have happened before.
                              Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Working...
                              X