Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching the auto-pilot/robot off?

Hi all,

I just had few lightening exchanges with Patrice (thanks) on another thread and throught that it would be worth having a thread on its own for this problem. I bet this has been discussed over and over here, but for us newbies:

I am on the autopilot come 5pm whether it was my home office or interstate, I need to pack my packs and head home/hotel and have a drink. And in the last year that time has got earlier and earlier. 12 months ago it used to around 6pm.

It does not feel like a craving, yet I believe it is. It is a habit, a compulsion, my body saying I need booze. What ever, breaking it to me it is the Holy Grail of AF. If I break it I am likely to be ok.

Any thoughts/ideas?

mm

It's the Witching Hour...gets everyone Mizumum. Yep, you have to break it sooner or later. When you go AF it's the first hurdle. I've done it (eight days ago)...seems to get easier for me as time passes. Go down a few posts on this board. It's being discussed there now.

Comment

Mizimum,

I want you to also be excruciatingly aware that at some point, this witching hour will never go away.

A few short years ago, perhaps 4 or 5, it gradually started getting to the point where many mornings I "needed" a drink upon rising just to get through the day.

Today, it takes white knuckling on my part to get up and go to work sober.

I know those who read this and have not gotten anywhere near that kind of intake, will think, "I'm not that bad and I will never be!!"

Maybe not, maybe.

I am praying for all of you, maybe not.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cindi,
        True. And, I am concerned, as during the weekend days when I have no plans, the witching hour is there when I get up.

mm

Comment

Thanks Cindy... I have at times been there but not regularly. Seems that for some of us here, there is an edge to the day and AL takes that off ( or we just think it does!!) But I guess it doesnt cos that edge is still there the next day with a vengence

Comment

Just get yourself somewhere safe. For me that meant not going out of the house, drawing the blinds and snuggling down with a mug of hot choccy watching mindless soaps under a duvet. Sounds pretty odd but it's actually not that difficult. Also felt just clearing your mind helps too - switch the old grey matter off, which is why the soaps are so good!

Comment

Yes UK, I think you are so right about turning the brain off and mindlessly watching soapland for a while because it does pass the time... I like the idea of the duvet but for me it will have to be turning up the air con a notch or two, breaking open a coconut I live in the tropics but can still get 'coronation st' on TV!!

Comment

I have to say at the end I had no witching hour. I got to morning,noon and night, or basically any waking hour drinking.

Like UK, once I gave up it was a case of staying in, mindless TV, trashy magazines, food and then some more food for a good few weeks. Anything to keep me away from that first drink.

J x
                :l
                It could be worse, I could be filing.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Oh Jackie
                  At weekends I don't have a witchin hour either and I think my little son must be suffering so much from me endlessly putting on cartoons and then crashing out beside him at 2pm.. hammered only to wake up a while later and doing it all again.. Its awful

Comment

Patrice,

My child is old and flown away, so I am on my own and weekends are worst. I just drink, 'nap', drink, 'nap',.... I have no life.

mm

Comment

Now's the time to get your plan of action in place.
                      Start by writing what you hate about drinking, then write what you love about drinking. I got 2 pages on what I hate and 1 line about what I love.

You can write it here or in a note book. I bet you'll be surprised with the outcome.

J x
                      :l
                      It could be worse, I could be filing.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

JC,

Yes,

I hate that the drink:
                        takes my life away,
                        keeps me fat and makes me fatter
                        makes me tired the next day and disinterested in work
                        ruins my health
                        the way it makes me feel
                        it hides the true me
                        makes me behave silly and the way I do not want to portray myself
                        keeps me stuck
                        makes me waste my money

I like that it makes me escape the reality, but.....it comes back worse, so no real + here.

No positives in drinking, will journal more...

Thanks,
                        mm

Comment

Mizumum,

I feel I am doing the same and I have a 4 and half yr old!!! ( I am an older 47yr old Mum).. but yes I also feel I have no life, I live far away from home (NZ) but only have 6 months to go on the contract here in the tropics, I cant wait but cant wait for another 6 months to get this alcohol sorted.. it needs to be done now. No real support networks here cos is a 'dry' country. Ironic because I have never drunk so much in my life as here (alcohol free- not!)BTW I think loneliness is also so hard

Thanks Jackie you are right I think a diary is a great idea - I know already I will have a similar list to you

But why in my mind is it always .. its just that... its just that?? I need to chill out but I know its not the answer but I have kept on for 6 months after joining here, always with a drink in hand and I feel motivated but then I lose that momentum. I really want to be strong like so many out there...

Comment

Hi Patrice,

In 47, too. Had my girl when I was 30. And alone in ACT. Have few friends but they like me partying with them.

mm

Comment

wanting

[QUOTE=Mizumum;880847]Hi all,

I just had few lightening exchanges with Patrice (thanks) on another thread and throught that it would be worth having a thread on its own for this problem. I bet this has been discussed over and over here, but for us newbies:

I am on the autopilot come 5pm whether it was my home office or interstate, I need to pack my packs and head home/hotel and have a drink. And in the last year that time has got earlier and earlier. 12 months ago it used to around 6pm.

It does not feel like a craving, yet I believe it is. It is a habit, a compulsion, my body saying I need booze. What ever, breaking it to me it is the Holy Grail of AF. If I break it I am likely to be ok.

Any thoughts/ideas?hi ,interesting thread,im seeing a lot like u ,here lately,it seems like u want a change,either slowly stop,or stop,it can be an xciting xperience,then over time u decide,do i,or dont i,ive been doing this yes i can for years,or maybe i cant, but what ever u decide we will all be here for u,gyco

Comment

Working...
                              X