Almost a month Af

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost a month Af

Wow, February 10th will be a month AF, it really blows my mind. I thought this would be difficult, mind you, it had a few times I wanted a glass of wine, but never went to get any.
    In the spring I went two months being AF, but I had a very negative force living with me. He eventually kept up his tirades to the point that I decided, if I am accused of being an alcoholic, why not be one, so I started to drink my wine again.
    Eventually I left him, it was mid September, right before my birthday, pretty sad. I kept up the wine untill a month ago. I decided that was not a life I want, and stopped,
    I was concerned about the habit, I still wrestle with it, but not too bad. I was really concerned with the withdrawals, for I did drink alot. They were not even that bad, I drink alot of water now. It seems to help.
    So anyone who is having a difficult time, if I can do it, so can you, you must be determined. I am still considering trying moderation, but have not as of yet. I had decided, if I do, I will not have alcohol in my house, I hope to go out and have the odd glass of wine and that is it.
    Has anyone tried moderation and stuck to it, please let me know, thanks Eleta

Almost a month Af

I have repeatedly tried moderation. It has been my greatest wish that I could go out with my friends and have a glass or two with friends. But eventually I have failed every time and each time I find it more difficult to stop and I hate myself a little more.
    There is a moderation thread on here and you might take a look over there. I am sure some are successful at moderation. From what I read, most are not. But it certainly seems to be a dream of a lot of problem drinkers. I wish you good luck, whichever way you go.

Comment

Almost a month Af

Litre, keep up the good work on AF, that's my best advice coming from a very strong willed person who's tried countless times to moderate.

When I try to moderate it's somewhat like jumping into the cockpit of a fighter jet aircraft. At first its so fun, amazing and exhilarating since I'm doing something I really shouldn't even be able to do. but then the nervousness creeps in, then worry, then sheer panic as I know that no matter how many buttons I press or levers I desperately pull, that I'm going to crash the damn thing and there's nothing I can do about it since I really am not a fighter pilot.
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Almost a month Af

Litre, for SO many who come here, the hope of moderating is the goal. It seems the story is almost always the same. Many have passed the point of no return, IMHO. And experts say there IS such a point, where our brain chemistry changes.
        I'd suggest you give it at least 3, better, 6, months of complete sobriety, before you even let the thought into your head. By thinking NOW of 'if, when' you might drink, and even 'how', it's called 'romancing the bottle'. It's negativity, whether you realize it or not. Please don't be hurt about what I'm saying, it's only my opinion, based on things I've read or been taught in classes I've taken. Your thinking is VERY typical of what we've all been through. You don't have to think 'forever'; just think 'today', and the numbers add up quickly.
        Again, just an opinion. I also believe it's very important to listen to everyone's story, how they succeeded, or what caused any failures. That's another one of the great things about this site - the sheer pool of knowledge and experience is incredible. I have met some of the wisest, kindest people in my life here. So, again, I'd suggest you take the possibility of drinking off the table, for now. You may be surprised to find, down the road, AL holds absolutely no importance in your life.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Almost a month Af

thanks everyone for your thoughts and supportive comments, moderation is not something that is on my mind daily, just something I wonder about.
          When I first was thinking about quiting, I felt like I would lose a friend, but as time passes, it is less and less important. So again thanks for the comments, that is what is great about this site, if we were to take offense, or be hurt by comments, we should not be on here, so I appreciate your concern Ruby. Eleta

Comment

Almost a month Af

Hi Litre - congratulations on your AF month!

Comment

Almost a month Af

Litre-congratulations on your 1 month AF and for taking back your life.:goodjob:
              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Comment

Almost a month Af

Thankyou again for the positive comments, I really needed them today, for I have felt like having a glass of wine, but have not, this is the first time in a few weeks I have felt like this. Lets hope there are not too many more. Mind you it wasn't too bad, but enought for me to want it. So again thanks for all the comments again. Eleta

Comment

Almost a month Af

Hi Litre. Congrats on your month AF! That is a great accomplishment.

I struggled for years trying to control my drinking. Even after coming to My Way Out and using the supplements, diet and exercise recommendations outlined in the book, I still decided to drink after 60 days AF. It was not only a bad decision (I quickly escalated back to my previous levels of drinking and consequences), but it was made WORSE by the fact that I struggled mightily to finally get back on the wagon. (that took 8 months of struggling - very few AF days in that amount of time trying!)

So for me? I finally accepted that alcohol has no place in my life. That acceptance - finally - that I cannot drink safely, ever - has helped set me free.

Why risk possible consequences that AL represents when we can live just fine without it?

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Almost a month Af

Litre - sending you support!!

KG:l

Comment

Working...
                    X