Trying To Stop Day One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying To Stop Day One

I finally decided to joing, I know its a story heard so many times before but thanks so much for this site!
    32 Year old male been drinking heavy, mostly rum , sometimes up to a gallon a day.
    Today is day one of me trying to stop again , the withdrawls are hurting so much.
    I just want to stop for good.. I have hardly any freinds and all i ever think about is negative thoughts and want to resort to drinking. Any positive feedback would be helpful . Thank You
    I am still in the process of reading all these great posts that are helping!

Trying To Stop Day One

Hi NC GUY

I'm assuming NC means North Carolina. That's where I am too.
    The good part of your post is twofold. One is that you recognize and admit the problem and the other is that you are very young. I can't even imagine where I would be if I had been able to quit drinking at 32!
    It's hard at first; drinking is just so ingrained in our culture that those who don't drink are often asked why they don't. The presumption is that you are an alcoholic or crazy.
    But the bottom line is it is poison to your body and mind and if you can't "handle" it you just can't.
    I would imagine you, like most of us here, have had times when you thought how nice it would be to be able to drink like "normal" people. The ones you know who have a drink or two and walk away. Well here's the deal-it ain't gonna happen. It's biochemicak,it's physiological, and it doesn't make you a bad person. It's not your fault and it is not moral
    failing for crying out loud. It just is, and the way to deal with it is to stop-WAY easier said than done.
    I would venture a guess that you have tried the "moderation" route, trying to have one or two and not get drunk. This may work for a week, a month or even longer. Eventually though don't you find yourself blasted AGAIN and thinking WOW I didn't want to do this.
    It's addiction. Your brain is where it's all happening.
    I'm glad you are here; lots of support here. Please post more and update your situation.
    Don't beat yourself up!

Comment

Trying To Stop Day One

Hi and welcome Aguyfromnc,
      What helped me was to keep really busy all the time so that by the time the evening came I was too tired to even think about AL let alone get some. And just remember all those thoughts about AL are in your head....push them out....it will take time but you will be surprized at how quickly things will turn around for you but only you can do this. It does take alot of will power and alot of work on your part but the rewards are fantastic. Just take it one day at a time or even an hour or 10 minutes at a time. You can do this,
      Take care
      xx
      :dancin: enguin:
      starting over

Comment

Trying To Stop Day One

Welcome AguyfromMNC! A few basic suggestions about this place that I have found helpful:

The toolbox thread (search for it on here, maybe someone can post a link to it, I'm not that savvy).
        Read about "urge surfing."
        Get yourself plenty of sleep, food, rest, water, vitamins and supplements.

Ann221 makes some great points about the need to focus on the positive. I believe that you can make this one THE time, if you want it. We are in this thing together here. I'm pulling for you, friend.
        "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
        AF 11/12/11

Comment

Trying To Stop Day One

Welcome - the toolbox and a plan are super important. :-)

So - while you are working through these first few days -know we are here.
          That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
          Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
          AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Trying To Stop Day One

Hi Guy!

Welcome to MWO :welcome:

I have serious concerns for your safety - sounds like you should seek medical help for detox. Quitting cold turkey can be deadly, you need to be very careful!

Go to the Health store here on the site & download the MWO book. It's a good place to start. Your decision to quit drinking now at your age is commendable but you need to do it safely.

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Trying To Stop Day One

Hi Guy

Just want to give my support and hope you are feeling better!

I am also 32 and looking forward to an AF life!

Keep us posted please!
              12-20-2012 AF
              Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Trying To Stop Day One

Welcome to MWO! Congrats on Day 1! Consider yourself lucky that you are still young and able to kick the habit before it is too late. I am also in my 30's and feel lucky that I have stopped drinking and now can enjoy the rest of my adult life AF. It's so worth it. Read and post here as much as you can, ok? MWO is so key in my sobriety I can't even begin to tell you! Come over to the Newbie's Nest...lots of great folks early in their sobriety and some senior members to keep us in line when we falter. Best of luck to you on day 1. You'll feel wonderful tomorrow...just wait and see!
                Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                :h

Comment

Trying To Stop Day One

glad you are here, guy!

i am struggling through day 4-- going through all threads, trying what has worked for others.
                  i'm jumping from activity to activity. if i think about a drink, i try to dismiss it and not dwell (thanks byrdie).
                  also, because i don't suffer from any other addictions, i'm allowing myself "anything but alcohol".

today that has meant lots of eating. making lists, for instance about what i would like to do with my sober, clear future, doing some downward dog, watching a film.

mostly though ive been checking out this site.
                  like others have said, the tool box is great.
                  also reading the threads with senior member activity is inspiring and helpful.
                  stick close by.

Comment

Trying To Stop Day One

Thanks Everyone!
                    I love this board really helps out alot!
                    Day 2 luckily I have some ativan they gave me to last for 3 days the dfoctor gave me. Day 2 is just plain feeling sick. Also have some baclofen that I had previously. Still shaking and feelings of guilt, urges...yuck I dont ever want to start again..
                    Yes I am from North Carolina. The Raleigh area

Comment

Trying To Stop Day One

AG - just sending you peace and strength (and wisdom)! Welcome, and keep reading, reading, reading (and posting)!

Comment

Trying To Stop Day One

Hi Guy!

Glad you checked in

I know yuo don't feel real well right now but please be sure to drink lots of water & eat something!!!
                        Your body need the nutrients to help heal itself.

Think about downloading the MWO book I mentioned yesterday. It will help you cover yuor bases.

Keep up the good work!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Trying To Stop Day One

Guy,

I am from Raleigh too. I just went to an AA meeting and came out feeling awful. I wish I had local support that is not related to AA. I am suffering and I think I'm going to head over to the nest for support.

P

Comment

Trying To Stop Day One

Lord I had such bad cravings , That I let myself slip and bought some rum . I feel like a total failure this morning. I am really going to stop this time, I have to , How do I explain to people all the stupid stuff ive said while I was drunk. That what keeps the cravings going. ughhhhh , thank all!

Comment

Trying To Stop Day One

Guy, it's a great sign that you came back and posted even after a slip up. Keep checking in here. This board will slowly help you change the way you think about alcohol, and that's the key to breaking free. I'm in early days myself, only on day five, but sticking close to this board has made all the difference.
                              ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
                              -----------------------------------
                              Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Working...
                              X