Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A symptom...or a true personality change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi...I'm pretty new here, though I think I may have posted once before. I am still drinking and have noticed lately that I don't care anymore about a lot of things that used to mean a great deal to me...like my gardens, my reef tank, my house. I still go to work and perform fine there ( I'm a nurse ). I've been thinking very much lately that I need to get my drinking under control...but has anyone else had the experience of not caring about stuff?

Yes, Ma'am. I let everything slip. My garden, my home, my marriage. Obtaining AL, hiding it, consuming it, disposing of empties became my world. I did my job ok, but nothing special...I work from home, and started drinking earlier and earlier in the day. I was starting to drink at 10:30 am on weekends. Someone on here asked my why 10:30? That's as long as I could hold out. I started making rules about AL and then breaking them. My life was beginning to revolve around it. So absolutely, AL addiction can make you not give a crap about anything else. In fact, once you quit, you will find that getting back to those things that once interested you is quite therapeutic. If AL is causing you a problem, you have a problem with AL. It's not a bad thing! Recognizing it is all part of it. Come on over to the Newbie's Nest and get started today on reclaiming your life. The link is below. Also be sure to check out the Tool Box it's full of helpful tips and coping skills to help you get thru the first challenging days. We are so glad you are back. Welcome aboard!! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

I find that the more my depression gets a foothold, the less I care about maintaining my house and yard. I also find that taking small steps to extricate myself is the only way that works. Set small goals for yourself and keep moving forward.
      Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

absolutely! didnt care about my hubs,kids,dogs,job nothing,al sucks all that you love away,gives you a piss on it attitude
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Sixcat11;1542450 wrote: Hi...I'm pretty new here, though I think I may have posted once before. I am still drinking and have noticed lately that I don't care anymore about a lot of things that used to mean a great deal to me...like my gardens, my reef tank, my house. I still go to work and perform fine there ( I'm a nurse ). I've been thinking very much lately that I need to get my drinking under control...but has anyone else had the experience of not caring about stuff?
          I Negleted everything and now I have a large clean up and spring clean to do also a lot of work on my marriage
          Now I have hopefully my drinking under control af I'm seeing things clearer and better

I just didn't care .....and I just drank

Comment

Yep for me on not caring about things I used to. Exception was my dogs but other things have been slipping that definitely wreak havoc on your life like not paying bills on time, not calling friends back, missing family members & friends birthdays, household chores, etc.

Used to make to-do lists and felt organized. As the wine consumption increased rationalizing chores away became the norm. The essence of my personality changed.

Comment

One more thing to add- and it has only been four days for me at this point being AF, but yesterday and today I felt the fog lifting a little and actually got some things done this weekend. It felt so good that I'm looking forward to more productive, clear, and focused days going forward.

Comment

I too let many things go & did the bare minimum. I was MIA from my marriage which took some hard work & amends to get back into again. I think Byrdlady put it incredibly clearly...the obsession & all the rituals that go with it are extremely time-consuming & stressful. It's so much easier to be sober. I no longer have an avoidance technique, but I do have coping strategies for the difficulties that inevitably arise in life. Good luck to all the newbies who are just now trying to give up the dependence on alcohol. Mary
                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                October 3, 2012

Comment

A symptom, for sure. Quit drinking and see!
                  Newbies Nest
                  Toolbox
                  My accountability thread

Comment

Each person is different, yet with alcohol I almost feel I can say without any reservations: If you gotta ask, then there's a reason why and 99 times out of 100 you really know the answer already, it is "just" a matter when you need to confront it. Just in quotes because that's the hard part. Suggest you do an experiment of being sober for a short time and see how you feel. I wish you the best.

Sam
                    Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

I stopped caring about all sorts of stuff, it's the nature of addiction and alcohol just makes you numb.
                      I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

People change their drinking to reach their goals.
                        Alkies change their goals.

Comment

TheSunFlower;1542736 wrote: People change their drinking to reach their goals.
                          Alkies change their goals.
                          Wow, SF

That hits the nail on the head - I think I gave up many goals. I will remember this quote. Thanks!

Comment

Dear Sixcat11,
                            There's a group of us working to be alcohol free during the month of August. In addition to the Newbies' Nest, you might join us on this thread. It takes a while for the fog to lift, but I am finding now at 3+ weeks AF that I am more motivated, interested in others, and focused. It's a great way to be.
                            Free at Last
                            "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                            http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

I definitely lost a lot of interest in things once my drinking became heavier and heavier. It's all I ever cared about...my next drink, when I was going to buy my next bottle, how I was going to hide it from my boyfriend, how I was going to hide the empty's from neighbours...
                              It just consumed everything...I didn't bother studying for school, I didn't follow through with any of my goals, I was no longer interested with anything that I once held dear. I used to be so creative, I drew, painted, wrote, blogged...I just didn't care about anything but drinking. How terribly sad...I am still working on things...but I do miss the old me...and I want the old me back...I do miss everything I used to do...so I know what you mean...
                              We can work on this and get the old us back. The true us. Or even if we outgrew what we used to be we can become better and newer versions of ourselves, without the alcohol.

Bri

Comment

Working...
                              X