Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

35 with issues

Hi All,

I have always periodically read posts in the forum to see others that are struggling like me. I'm about to turn 35 years old on Saturday and I have massive drinking issues, specifically the lack of a "shutoff" valve. Work is stressful & this is one of the triggers that cause me to drink. The combination of 80-90 hour weeks and the drinking is affecting my relationship with my wife. She is obviously not happy with me. For instance, last night, I went to a football game and then watched the boxing match. However, I had about 5-6 drinks while watching the match, this after a bunch of drinks at the football game.

I am going to attempt a 30 day AF streak and I hope you all will support my cause. I need to mend my relationship and prove to my wife that there are other ways to handle work stress besides drinking (i.e. jogging, walking, etc.).

35 with issues

Welcome Prem!:welcome: Good for you for realizing that there are other ways to handle your stress. We all have been there so you will get lots of support.

Check out the Newbies Nest when you get a chance. Lots of wonderful people there. Lots of good support.:h
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

35 with issues

Welcome...its a good place...lots of support. Be kind to yourself...good luck with your journey :welcome:
      ...peace and quiet....and a cup of tea.....heaven:h

Comment

35 with issues

Wow - I'm still trying to wrap my mind around 80 to 90 hour weeks. That's inhumane. What do you do for living that requires that kind of commitment? Is there any way you can slow down your work week a bit? Just a thought. So welcome, and of course, we'll support you. Glad you are here.
        Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

35 with issues

MossRose;1556860 wrote: Wow - I'm still trying to wrap my mind around 80 to 90 hour weeks. That's inhumane. What do you do for living that requires that kind of commitment? Is there any way you can slow down your work week a bit? Just a thought. So welcome, and of course, we'll support you. Glad you are here.
          I work in finance for a healthcare insurance company. Because of the new health care reform laws, new processes, new people, and broken models, I work pretty much every weekend. It also doesn't help that we are short-staffed and they won't hire anyone because they know they'll squeeze every last drop out of us. At this point, I'm trying to stay afloat...but I am about to give up for tonight and just go to bed early...because midnight work nights are killing me from a sleep perspective.

Thanks for reading...I'm going to take it a day at a time...but I know I can do this with effort and support.

Comment

35 with issues

Welcome Prem, as Moss says that is a lot of stress working, which of course leads to drinking to wind down. Try and do some AF days and see how you go. I was a heavy drinker for too long to remember (although did have a break for my 4 children) but have now done 16 days. Pretty proud of that effort but has not been a bed of roses as all of us will attest. Being on here is a wonderful way to account for ourselves and get support.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

35 with issues

Wow! 90 hour weeks is brutal to say the least. I am never going to complain about my job ever again.

Welcome, and I am sure you will find plenty of folks here to offer you a helping hand. Check out the Newbies Nest!

I wish you luck on your journey (and sleep)
              In the immortal words of Socrates " I just drank what ? "

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

35 with issues

Thanks all. Day 1 was a breeze. Even though I still had work to do, I gave up at 10 PM last night because I hadn't slept more than 5.5 hours each night in the last week.

Have a bunch of meetings today that I just need to "survive and advance" through.

Have a good day all.

Comment

35 with issues

Welcome Prem!

80-90 hour work weeks are just insane! My question is...when did you find the TIME to drink? Anyway, we are glad you're here! You can do this, it's not easy but it's SO worth it. Stick close, read and post a lot, we can help!

K9
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

35 with issues

Hello Prem. I am in a similar situation with the drinking and stressful job. My hours are not as crazy - but they used to be. I worked freelance - so crazy... then nothing.... Then crazy again. I always had a macho attitude about work and drink. "Look how much I can drink and still out work you!" Until I couldn't anymore. So now, I work full time and try to keep my drinking down. I am on day five right now and not feeling great. Headaches and no energy. But will see day six. I am sure.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X