Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Withdrawal symptoms?

Hey Everyone,
    I have been in and out of this site for nine months now....wish I would have been more proactive at the beginning....but time to focus on the now!!
    So here is my question, the last few weeks I have realised that my body is truly addicted to the nightly beers. I have decided that I now need and want to stop! I have ordered the supps and cds and am now waiting for them to arrive. In the meantime, I have been trying to cut back my consumption...and have been very motivated to go AF. Here is the problem: I find myself very motivated all day to not consume alcohol, then by the end of my work day, my stomach really starts to act up, I have bathroom attacks, I am sweaty, mentally foggy, shaky and eventually just head to the store....with the good intentions of buying less beer...which I do....but along my route home, there are plenty of stores that sell it, so by the time I get home, I have already bought my regular amount (3-6 740ml size bottles of beer....that is generally more than 3 litres a night).

My fear, I have been drinking daily for 3-4 years, for 9 months I have been living alone and my intake has substantially increased. I am worried about the possibility of DT's....with this history, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I would be a possible candidate for DT's or am I more likely to go through moderate withdrawal? I really want to stop, and I can only get to the doctor in 5 days from now, due to work schedule, as well as the doctors schedules. Is there anyone out there with a similar history and has gone AF...if so, what were your symptoms of withdrawal? I can handle severe discomfort, my fear, living alone in a foreign country, is the possibility of a major DT episode and not being able to call for help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thank you so much in advance

Withdrawal symptoms?

First of all, welcome-- I am new here, too.
    OK, I have some experience in this area, but am not a doctor. From what you say, you could probably manage to detox yourself without going into a clinic (assuming you are healthy otherwise), but the best way to determine this is by talking to a doctor. (also, check the website given in the diclaimer text at the top of this page by clicking on "here"-- it gives you a lot of info about this.) In a clinic, they will mainly just give you some medicine to make the process less uncomfortable, and moniter your vitals. Many doctors are helping patients detox at home -- you can probably get a prescription for the medicine from a doctor (usually a benzo in the valium group)-- you take it in large doses for a couple days and then taper down to nothing for another couple days. It really helps with the symptoms and some of these medicines are also anti-convulsive, so ask for that kind and you are doubly protected. Some people prefer the safety and removal from temptation that a clinic provides, however. It just means removing yourself from your everyday life for at least 5 days. Either way, it's important to be ready for what happens when you have finally manged to become AF. It is incredibly easy to relapse badly (and I should know, having done it many times). This is where you need to have a plan in action-- make sure there is no alcohol in the house and know exactly what you are going to do when (not IF, but WHEN) you get tempted again-- which will probably be within a couple of days. I realized after many slips that I needed the help of drugs (sheer willpower is not enough if you have the brain of a true alcoholic). The more often you slip and detox, the harder it gets. The longer you stay AF after a detox, the better for your body. Some people can ease into moderate drinking, and some can't ever drink at all. If you slip once badly, you should probably go for complete abstinence, and not moderate drinking. That's my two cents. I'm happy to answer more specific questions on this.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-beatle
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Withdrawal symptoms?

Hi, I recognize your problem and agree with Beatle. There are some detox clinics now that use chlonindine which is a blood pressure medicine to detox. Because the withdrawl from alcohol and some drugs raise the blood pressure and creates all of the nasty symptoms. Valium has a similar result but I'm not sure why chlonindine is now being used - my daughter in law was recently in detox and they were using it for Vicodin withdrawl too. I imagine it would be pretty inexpensive online but you might have to google for a safe dosage.

Also, I don't want to recommend something that doesn't have a doctor's approval. I think valium has the risk of addiction itself even though it calms the nerves.

You can calm the anxiety with Calm's Forte, Gaba, DHEA, Symphora, etc. all found in a good health store.

XTexan in our Long Term Abstainers has great advice if you can get that too.

Good Luck.
      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Withdrawal symptoms?

It's me, beatle, again. Although valium and the related so-called "benzo" medicines are very addictive, they are not physically addictive until you have taken them for at least a few weeks. Therefore, using them as a "quick fix" for alcohol withdrawal over a few days is highly unlikely to be a problem. Your doctor will probably only give you enough for the detox period anyway. I know this from extensive reading and from my own experience. The other anxiety calmers that SKendall mentions are great later on to help you after you have successfully detoxed, but they are not going to do the trick nearly as well for the short, hard periord (first 3 days). That is my experience anyway. They are not magic pills and you will still be somewhat uncomfortable, but they tone it down a lot, make it much more bearable-- and I say the most important thing is to get through it so you can move forward. I've also heard of clonidine being used but don't have any firsthand experience. I'm sure there are other drugs, too. But I can tell you the short term use of benzos like Ativan is widely used for both in-house and out-patient detoxes with good effects, and I can attest to that.
        -
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Withdrawal symptoms?

I agree that the benzo meds can help calm things down. I was reading about withdrawal and its not so much the body needing the alcohol but the fact that alcohol is such a depressant that the body adapts and starts working faster to prevent us from passing out, obviously there are times when even that fails! So when you stop the alcohol suddenly your body is still working faster it needs time to adapt back down again, hence the nasty symptoms.
          Suz
          Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Withdrawal symptoms?

Thanks so much guys I Appreciate your comments! I have been back and forth with all of this since October...maybe since then 5 spurradic AF days....eeeh! I have been thinking alot about what I'll do, and I think for the next few days I will moderate, until I go and see the docs on Monday. The funny thing is, this past Monday was my DAY to do it, spent most of the time searching for a doc, ended up in a gyno office?? In anycase, that was the FIRST and ONLY person (other than you guys) that I have sought out for help...it was pretty cathartic...I think (he barely spoke English) that he thought I was CRAZY...he recommended a psychyatrist In any event, regardless of what doctor it was, that felt amazing to finally let it out....and let it out I did!!! Red and teary eyed as I left the office, once on the street, I went for a little walk and then it just hit me! I finally did it, and that little step....well, let me rephrase that, that GIANT step of fully admitting to someone face to face, not just anyone, but a doctor who may (or may not) be able to help, was the most empowering thing I have ever felt or done!!! I have always just told the docs it is because I am a foreigner and foreigners party a lot, but this time I fully admitted that I felt I really NEEEDED help. I will go again on Monday, this time I am prepared with an arsenal of information....I am going to print off you recommendations and see what the outcome will be. Strangely enough I am afraid of trying to dose myself with prescription meds (ugh, the ultimate paradigm, give me anything pink, yellow, blue, liquid or pill, no label...no worries.....give me anything nicely packaged with dosing etc....I'm a complete skeptic??? ) I already have the docs offices targeted, so it will be first to an internalist, second to a psychiatrist, third to an oriental doctor....fantastic thing is, I found, they are all in the same building, floors away from eachother....its funny that I spent the whole day searching, only later to find what I was looking for all conveniently packed together!!! Life is mysterious that way, when you finally go out to look, it just seems to fall into place...that said, I also found a gyno....4 for 4 Happy Day!!!!!

So for tonight, will try to cut to two beers (4 American) and try to tough it through the night sweats ... Kind Regards

Comment

Withdrawal symptoms?

4everakid, good luck to you and keep on posting!!!

Comment

Withdrawal symptoms?

4ever, that is a wonderful revelation for you...so glad! and if you can get through a day or two on 4 beers it sounds like you will be just fine to detox at home. Highly recommended: Magnesium, Vit-c, a potent B-complex. the so-called calming supps didn't do anything for me but wont hurt to try. I have not tried 5HTP but hear great things. Also clinical studies have shown oil of evening primrose to help with withdrawals, but you need to take WAAAAY more than the recommended dose on the label. Fortunately its quite safe.
                let us know how you do!!
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Withdrawal symptoms?

4ever, I'm a huge beer drinker as well and have found it to be very tough in the first 3 days after a binge. I have night sweats and an itchy feeling day and night. Many times, I was too afraid to quit cold turkey (although I have done that too several times and went AF for 9 months). But after reading about DTs, I'm afraid to go cold turkey after a binge. What I am currently trying to do is also cut down my consumption to 4 American beers which seems to be OK with my health and sanity. I also try and drink those 4 beers slower than my usual gulping. I guess the liver has an easier time breaking down the alcohol when you don't have more than one drink per hour. Then, I usually don't drink past 8 PM. So, my long-term goal (that I was able to achive for a while before recently falling off the wagon) is to drink 4 12 oz. beers over a 4 hour period before going to bed. I feel good the next morning...but after a binge, it definitely takes me 3 days/nights to reset my inner clock by moderating at those levels (4 beers). My worst withdrawal symptoms have always been the sweats/iching, anxiety (feeling that you're dying of a heart attack), depression and craving for more beer to "make myself feel better". Good luck to us at moderation!

Comment

Withdrawal symptoms?

Thanks

Hey Guys thanks, hey moderation, sounds like the exact same symptoms I get....I'm not looking forward to the anxiety!!!

So today I did....well forced into doing it! Last night I got home from a very bad day at work and drank 8 (american sized) beers. I woke up this morning feeling absolutely aweful, so I called in to take the morning off. My boss was soo livid, she made it clear that we must go to the hospital together (to make sure I was really sick). I did not go with her, but I did finally, well was planning on Monday, but am really glad I went this morning, to the docs office. I had to write my problem on a note and give it to the doc, thinking that would allow me not to cry as much....didn't work. Now here it is, an internalist, thinking he would have all the answers, after he heard/read about my real problem he asked me what I wanted him to do? I told him I would be going to see a psychiatrist and also let him know how concerned I was about may possible effects I may have from the drinking. Well by the end of the visit, he basically put on a cheerleader smile and said "so what are we going to do now???", only to leave me to answer "...not drink beer??"....."right, ok, see you Monday"!!!!! Talk about the kind of response someone who has completely broken down, does NOT need to have! Oh and the highlight of all of it, my boss called in the middle, right while I was asking him to write me a 'docs note', so I asked if he could please talk to her just to let her know I was there, and asked him not to say anything about why.....well very shortly into the conversation, although in a language I have just vague fluency, I did hear the words alcohol, cholesterol, etc...... so, the cat was out of the bag...I was mortified!
                    *Note: when in a foreign country, don't expect the same kind of confidentiality you get from home!!!! Beware!
                    Anyway, went to see the psychiatrist after that....that was an emotional barge just sinking, I couldn't hold anything back....I never new how sad I was....I was even crying in the washroom before seeing him, the nurse had to come and get me. I'm sure it was a mix of nerves as well as guilt, and everything else...but man, I have never cried so much in my life.
                    Long story short, he gave me antidepressents and a tranquilizer? as well as sleeping pills if needed. I am glad that I went to see him, out of all the docs, I think he will be the best. Guess I've got some inner stuff going on.
                    The crazy thing is, I also opened up to my boss, we had a long talk afterwards....after months of guilt, uneasy feeling going in hungover, etc...she had no idea, she thought that I was one of the most stable people she has ever met.....how ironic!!! I guess I should have hit Hollywood years ago while young and lean I went back to work after cleaning myself up, and it actually worked out well. So feels very good to get this ball on the move.
                    Downside, I have plans with friends from out of town tonight which I cannot (will not) cancel, so I guess tonight will be my own little secret goodbye party to the beer.......tomorrow start the meds!!! .....bring on the anxiety

Comment

Withdrawal symptoms?

what an emotional rollercoaster you went on, and survived it. thats fantastic.

the crying once started is difficult and draining, but very cathartic. please though, tonight, dont make it the mother of all benders, after all, you want to enjoy your friends. do what you normally do *hopes fate is not tempted*, but be aware of the amount you put away.

getting off pulpit, have a nice evening :dancin:

Comment

Withdrawal symptoms?

You came through it with your sense of humor still in tact, that's for sure!

I just had my first AF day in 10 years. I'm concerned as well about withdrawel, but I'll have my husband here to look after me.

We will be fine, I just know it.!
                        If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Withdrawal symptoms?

4everakid
                          Wow!!! This is me standing up to give you a standing Ovation. How brave. You are meeting your problem head on . . being proactive. I have not been brave enough to confide my problem with anyone face to face. It sounds like your boss may over time be supportive. I am here in the states pulling for you overseas. Let us know how you are.

Comment

Withdrawal symptoms?

Thank you so much for the support...really needed

Wow, seriously thanks guys, let me tell you being honest about this has sure given me a wake up call, Saturday I did go out and had an amazing time, no drinkin alone and.....YESTERDAY WAS MY FIRST AF DAY!!!! Woohoo!! All of this talking with docs, and you guys, has really given me a lot of help. Thank you!! Although I know this will just be the beginning. I also realized yesterday, that it has not been only overseas that I've been on my nightly drinkfest, I seemed to have conveniently forgotten that I worked in a bar back home, etc... etc...so it is more like 10 years...ugh! That was a wake up!!! Hey Rottrod, congrats on day 1, looks like we'll be goin through the pangs together Nice feeling though to know you have someone watching over you . Talked to my doc about DT's, he said not to worry as it takes years and years of heavy consumption, he seemed a little concerned about the sweats and thats when he gave me info. for the emergency room, glad he did. I will be monitoring myself over the next few days, as those would be when it could happen. Although, I did go to the emerg. last night, not for withdrawal however, I've included the story below....Good luck to you and everyone else

Well, just woke up, totally had night sweats, but was in emerg. till 4 am....I think that really helped me, as just knowing that I was being watched by someone made me feel safe. So, why emerg? Well, let me start out by saying I've had my fair share of party days, drugs and alcohol...yesterday having taken that lithium, WOW, at first a little fun, then just scary, it really felt like some powerful substances I had taken back in the day. A feeling I was not mentally prepared for....after my second dose, I decided not to take the third that I was suppose to, glad I didn't, went to emerg at 11pm (dosed at 8pm) and was feeling the effects until after 2:30....it could have been the lithium or one of the other two pills that were in the package (unlike back home, here you are just given a "package" of pills, no nice write ups or anything. So really have no clue what I was given, I only know Lithium cause it was written on the pill. Checked the write ups on the net, and having previously taught students on the drug, I knew it to be a powerful substance.

Now here is the embarassing part, imagine standing in an emergency room, no privacy, 5 doctors asking you why you are there, and you trying to remain calm, dignity intact, attempting to explain that you are on lithium because you are depressed (having to repeat a few times due to communication failure....ugh!! Then having the docs trying to figure out to ask if you've ever thought of suicide and giggling cause they can't fully get the english word!! UGH!!.....during those moments, I couldn't bring myself to shout out, 'hey, I'm also really worried about alcohol withdrawal as well" ...I finally did talk to them about that later. I guess the one thing I've learnt, pride is out the window!! If I am going to get through this, it will be on the sheer power of knowing that I am doing this for the betterment of myself, a few embarrassing situations can't break me...at least not yet...but I guess when you've been to hell so-to speak, it won't be an easy journey climbing back out. Because they didn't know what substances I was taking, had all the pills there, but I guess they needed to see a prescription, which I was not given, I just had to be observed....all and all, I can say that I'm glad I went...it was an eye opening experience, to see people who were in need of serious emergency care, I went through some wild thoughts
                            Oh yes, the doc asked why lithium and what was I diagnosed for, thats when I mentioned alcohol in addition to the depression, he said that it is not usually a drug they start people on...does anyone else have any experience with this? I did see on the net that it is more for bi-polar, but also saw depression on there too. I have heard in the past that MDMA was once used to treat depression....that is a scary thought! I couldn't imagine trying to even go to work in that state....when I was younger, maybe, but now I'm just over it.

So, back to the docs!! Hopefully this time, I will get a little more info. on the prescribed medication!!
                            Have a great day all

Comment

Withdrawal symptoms?

Hey Forever,
                              I hope you're feeling better. I've also spent some time in foreign countries @ the hospital... the language barrier can be a real challenge! Sounds like you're hanging in there really well. Keep checking in with us, let us know how you're doing. We'll be thinking of ya.
                              :l
                              Judie
                              The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Working...
                              X