Fun childhood physical activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about something fun? I read somewhere to list fun things I used to do as a child and try to figure out how to do some of them again, hopefully without breaking any bones or my neck!!

OK...here are mine!

Swimming at the neighborhood park pool. All day!

Rollerskating....on the sidewalk or at a rink. I had the metal sidewalk skates with a key! Now you all know how old I am!

Bike riding. I still have a bike with fenders! And a hula dancer on the front! It is sliver, black and yellow. I love to ride it on level paths...there just aren't any around here!

Now ....I want to hear from you guys!!:happy
    Nancy

Mud pies.

Eating my Mom's Nasturtiums.

Marathon monopoly games.

Collecting caterpillars and selling them door to door.

Helen

Comment

ohhhhhhh, Helen, love the caterpillars door to door.
      My brothers and I used to play bowling with laundry and clorox bottles. (why I dont know) At night kick the can with the neighbor kids. And the brother that wore glasses and I's both were so thick that we would burn ants with em in the summer. (dimented)

Comment

Blowing bubbles!:h :rollin

fetchin a stick with the dog on the beach or river bar

dancing around the house alone... when nobody else is home!:happy :lol (with the doggies!:d ) Hubby don't dance :rolleyes

Comment

I love the caterpillar story! Have you ever caught lighting bugs in a jar? Or smushed one one your ring finger to look like a ring?

Gabby...glasses THAT thick...huh!! I need you around here to take care of all the fireants! Ouch!

And Jude....dancing around the house with the dog....."MY favorite thing" too!!

Oh and mud pies...yum!!

We can all still do this fun stuff...can't we?

My grand-daughters are down from Ohio this week....I have all kinds of fun and free ideas! Thanks girls!

Nancy:d

Comment

Glad to know someone else played Kick the Can! That was great.
            We 'played out' every night until the street lights came on. We played kick ball, four square, pig in the poke, sardines, we jumped rope, jumped on the pogo stick and walked on stilts.

We built forts with pine straw and then had pine cone fights (those could hurt).
            Boy that was fun!

Lisa

Comment

BTW....what was the going rate for a catapillar???

Comment

Nancy,
                Ya...You know back in those days they werent so high tech with the glasses. Mine now arent near as thick. Funny huh? Gabby

Comment

Caterpillar story

Every seven or so years, caterpillars would swarm across Northern Alberta.
                  NOTHING green remained in their wake.
                  Vehicles would spin out of control when they encountered their crawling mass making a path across the highways.
                  Incredible, unbelievable sight. Like a forest fire after they were through.
                  The caterpillar march I remember in Grande Prairie was the year I got a green and yellow plastic wheelbarrow for my birthday.
                  I FILLED it with caterpillars. They were crawling everywhere -
                  over the sides, up my arms, around the wheel...
                  I was a somewhat successful lemonade stand entrepreneur and thought, "yes, I can sell these too!"
                  I did not do well, as I remember.
                  It was my first lesson in supply and demand.

Comment

Yabbying?

Crayfish? Katesem?
                    That's how we did it.
                    Helen

Comment

Re: Yabbying?

We'd play bombardment, ringalevio, tag, hide-and-seek, etc. in the court until well after dark in the summer. It was great! Catching the fireflies, too. They aren't out yet this year. Saw the first hummingbirds, though, just yesterday!!! Yay!
                      :lol

Comment

Re: Yabbying?

You guys are great! I love your stories and I've learned some things too. For example...yabbies!! Fun! We have a catfish pond here and the grandkids catch them and throw them back. The fish have names and are so old and caught so many times some only have one eye or have missing fins.
                        :

This is fun!

Nancy:d

Comment

Swimming, biking, climbing trees was one of my favorites. Roller skating - me too with the metal key! Swinging on my cousins' tire swing and jumping over the poison ivy patch - see who could jump the farthest! Lightening bugs - oh yeah we did lot of things to them! Hanging upside down on the swing set, see who could stay that way the longest. Running by the esplanade. Wiffle ball - anyone remember those?

Yes, mud pies - made our share and tried to sell them to our grandma!

supply and demand - a very important lesson in life!
                          This was really fun! Nancy, have a great time with those kids!
                          Hugs, Mary

Comment

I don't know why I'm telling you this.........
                            I grew up on a farm, and we had cows (no, I'm not going to tell you a cow tipping story)
                            Well, there was one of those low voltage electrical fences around the pasture to keep them in.
                            Sometimes, when we would have friends over, (I don't know HOW we discovered this BRILLIANT idea!!!---probably me....) , we would all join hands, then the first person would touch a piece of straw to the electric fence.
                            ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAPPPPPP!!!!!!
                            It would go through the whole line of kids, shocking us all just a bit!!!
                            Man, is that why I'm so fried these days??? :lol :lol :lol

I've talked a lot about putting one of those fences around the bar in the basement. Might be a good investment8)
                            zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap!
                            who needs topa?

I did do normal kid stuff too,,.... REALLY!!!:hat

Comment

Hula hoops -

Riding your bike downhill, seeing how long you could keep your eyes closed -

Building cubby-houses out of cardboard boxes -

Playing hop-scotch -

Swimming on a full stomach -

Burying yourself in sand at the beach -

Getting ice-cream headaches -

Reading under the bedcovers -

Tying knots in willow tree branches and swinging -

Playing "let's pretend" -

Lying to the priest at confession ...

........ nothing's really changed very much.

Tawny

Comment

Working...
                              X