The Weekly Fred...w/c Sunday 4th June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Weekly Fred...w/c Sunday 4th June

mornin all...here we are then ..the start of a weekly thread..no great shakes but probably make it easier for people to dip in and out of...hopefully encourage more conversation ,debate etc,same sort of ground rules really ,treat everyone as you would wish to be treated...

more attacks I see in London....just looking through comments made by people....the general consensus ...the time for vigils ,and candles is over ..seek and destroy wow..not saying that I dont agree,but it would be some heck of a task..the other thing is to round up all those on the watch list...then what?there are over 20000 of them...mostly British born ..so where do you go from there? and this same scenario is being repeated world wide...
    answers on a postcard to Teresa May....

ok brew time..really hot yesterday...manged to do some work in sil garden...got most of the border fencing in,but it was really sunny..came home and did a bit in mine..in that photo ..I have painted the log tops woodland green to match,and the 2 orange chimney pots now sit one on each end of the raised bed..

hiya tt...I just wazzed through it yesterday..without checking the spelling...unfortunately my hands dont work as fast as my brain ...and that isnt an express train either..as for the DT comment..feel free to make any views at all the freedom of speech act etc gives you that..all I would say is just really consider the ground rules..looking at some other posts on other threads clearly isnt the case..hope all is well in down under land?hows the rat problem doing?

hiya SF ....good for you ...its great being different!you go for it....re your comments about people complaining...a similar thing..my wife comes home and tells me what happened at work ...(she works in a prison too..) the same one I used to be in/ at 2-3i/c of..she tells me what has been going on issues problems etc...firstly nowt has changed since I left...and secondly...she talks and Im watching the grass grow ,the rabbitz running around,planning etc...not in the slightest bit interested ...its hard to see how such a massive part of my life has paled into insignificance..up at 8am......you having a lie in??????

hi snoopster hows you today then..how come the realisation of life hits as we get older ...wonde what difference it would make if it hit you say about 21?

hiya pauly,how are you today?are you feeling any better...as fro getting over a death..I dont think anyone can put a time on it..its very individualistic..I think as time goes on you deal with it in a different way..Doesnt bother me to say...I shed a few tears yesterday,but it just part of the memories and life :hug:

hiya ppqp...a leaking tap in the garden ..bonus!!plants would be happy..sounds like you have a fair bit going on there!!you need to get some pics of it on the go..you have a good weekend...

hiya Lav..hows you ...?thanks for the weather...its coming our way next week..the rain that is..I think with the garden Ive almost achieved my aim...its difficult in pics,but when you look at the garden,you look and then your eye gets drawn somewhere else and then somewhere else ...there are little nuances that are allover the place making you think ..whats that ..Im after an old wooden handled fork/spade to put in the ground where the new one is..to give it that someone has been working here look and stopped..the hardest part of an unplanned garden...is the planning!!anyway brew time...

big hiya to everyone else..

I went to the shop today and I was only in there for 5 minutes, when I came out there was a parking attendant writing a ticket out, so I called him a fcking clown. He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having worn tyres so I called him an a.sehole. He finished with the 2nd and then started writing a 3rd ticket! This went on for about 20 minutes, the more I abused him, the more tickets he wrote. I didn't care anyway, my car was parked around the corner.

Apparently double-barrelled names come about when both parents want to keep their surnames, according to my friend Paddy Murphy-Murphy.

What do you call a nervous javelin thrower?

Shakespeare.

I met a girl with 12 nipples. Sounds freaky, dozen tit?

If you're American in the living room, what are you in the bathroom?
    European.

I just got fired by my job at the Pepsi company. I tested positive for Coke.

Which US state has the smallest soft drinks?
    Minisoda

What goes tick tick woof woof? A watchdog.

Knock-knock
    Who's there?
    A pile-up.
    A pile-up who?

Why did the mermaid wear sea shells? Cause she grew out of her B shells.
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Re: The Weekly Fred...w/c Sunday 4th June

Morning Mick and just horrified by the latest attacks in London. Thats the area where my daughter and I spent some time last year so I can visualize some of it. Yes I saw the comments you referred to in some of the media about getting tough - people calling for the right to bear arms - but I cant see how this solves things. There are no easy answers. I wonder how this will effect your elections?
    Another day for me clearing more from the office - so now we have a big pile up of boxes at home. I get what you are saying SF about moving on. For me, I wasn't just in the job for the money - I really liked much of my work and had great satisfaction from it. I had also got to a point in my career where I could see that I would have the chance to have some real benefits in terms of achievements and creativity before I voluntarily retired. So what was upsetting was that I had that chance taken from me.
    Pauly - I agree with Mick - there is no certainty about how long grieving takes - or even what is grieving and what is not-grieving. It also can come bouncing back - dreams, questions, memories, sadness. If you are unable to function when grieving and it goes on for some time - it can be depression - but even thats not straight-forward. There is no quick fix especially for the deaths of people very close to us who we love. Sometimes talking it over with a counsellor or in a support group helps - but I know how most folk here feel about this, myself included! I guess the thing is that its 'normal' to feel strange, despair, cry, have memory lapses, appetite changes, etc when a loved one dies. Its not abnormal. Too often in Western society we medicalize or psychologize processes and emotions that are very human. But societies have rituals to deal with death so maybe when you go through this it will help. Any news on when his funeral will be?
    As for the rest of you talking about plants that dont need water - we have the opposite problem here. Water galore. The place is awash. No sightings of mermaids yet!
    Big shout out to everyone - and lets get this weekly thread humming...
    Last edited by treetops; June 4, 2017, 02:08 AM.

Comment

TT--I think it is completely different when you are working and truly enjoying your job. The sad reality is now I see too many people lose those jobs for whatever reason and then are going through what you are. It is like you played the game, worked hard, followed the rules and could see the path ahead to retirement and then it gets rips from you and it causes so much trauma. It is happening way too often, and it seems like people are living with this underlying fear that could become a reality. For me, I really enjoyed what I was doing for several years. Then the corporate world just got too intense and even overachieving wasn't enough anymore. They wanted every last drop you had. There was nothing left over for the really important things in life. I feel like I got sold a bill of goods. At least now people are waking up to the fact that go to college, get a good job and all will be well is long gone. Maybe it is a good thing. I see a lot of people rejecting that way of life. This whole work your ass of for 40 years, so you can retire isn't really flying with the younger generation. I think too many saw what happened to their parents. There is an awesome interview with Simon Sinek on a podcast called "The Good Life Project". That guy nails it.

Pauly grief is tough. My thoughts are with you.

Snoop---I think I feel more like "The Matrix" and see reality for the first time. What I believed was the good life, didn't deliver. I was so trapped into a certain way of thinking it was much like giving up booze. New neural pathways had to emerge for me to even see there were other options. In the end my corporate life was much like drinking. Looking for fulfillment in a place that brought me nothing but misery in the end.

Spent the day hiking at a lovely trail here. Left everyone at home and went on my own. Breath of fresh air and some clear thinking. I wish hubby would see the other side of things--but, like anything else---we have to see it for ourselves. I think it kind of irritates him that I am so not stressed. He will want to dump his day on me and I just have zero interest in hearing another story how his boss gave him a shitty route again. Honestly, I wish he would entertain coming to work at the store. I think he would like it, especially how tight the group is. It is funny because we do have whole families that work there. husband, wife....then the kids come too.

Mick--I would be happy sleeping 4a-11a. My energy just works that way. I still have a full day---the hours are just switched around from what people think is normal Maybe its just rebellion for all those years of getting up and driving in traffic to get to my cubicle

Comment

Mae everybody, SF,I wish I could do the quote thingie right cuz I really like what you posted when you said it was like your relationship with AL,looking for fulfillment in something that wasn't working anymore, kinda how I feel about my job but I trudge through still, Mick,what I should have done is just planted the seeds directly into the garden instead of doing a transplant, the plants are just too fragile now that its hot Louie said"Nan,your plants aren't doing that good in there" I told him they're just in shock haha,changed my living room furniture around the best we could,looks a little bit bigger,I just feel like Jon's passing made me want to make some changes in my life,small ones for now but defo a shake up,hadn't realized how stagnant I've been,hadn't realized how much I took my mom,dad,brothers and sister for granted,hadn't realized some of my bad habits,like cussing(that'll never change tho) but other things like being messy,smoking, the drinking, a true wake up call,much love to all,wishing everyone a peace filled AF Sunday
        Last edited by paulywogg; June 4, 2017, 07:55 AM.
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Morning all....

Sad news this morning. The Canadian that was killed on the London Bridge was my nieces twin sister. She wasn't supposed to be there but her and her fiance took a short cut back to their hotel. He saw the van coming but couldn't pull her to safety quick enough. In a bit of shock at the moment.

Comment

I am so very sorry to heart that pq. My thoughts & prayers are with you.
            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I'm sorry PQ
              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

That is dreadful PQ. I am very very sorry. Xxx

Comment

PQ, im so sorry to read this news. I will be holding your family close in my thoughts and prayers. Hard to make sense of this senseless act. Byrdie
                  Last edited by Byrdlady; June 4, 2017, 02:28 PM.
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thank you Mick for starting the condolence thread. I am still in shock but no thoughts of drinking. I've always said "What a small world" but this isn't what I had in mind. Pauly...you've been on my mind today too. :hug:

Comment

Boy....listening to the news and family statement all day is really dragging me down. I feel like I'm in a no-man's land and the urge to quickly relieve the pain via AL is strong. So am posting as my way of writing my Mick pro/con list. Thanks for listening/reading!

Comment

I am very sorry PQ, how shocking
                        Please know that we will be thinking of you & your family :hug:

Hello to the rest of the crew. Nothing special to report, no need to ramble on about nothing.
                        Det, are you OK? Thinking about you as well.

Have a peaceful night everyone.

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

PQ--I am so sorry to hear your sad news. While these events are always disturbing, it is different when you are directly affected. I am glad you posted about being tempted to drink, which I think is completely normal. Unfortunately, it will not give you the relief you are looking for. You are in my thoughts.

Pauly--I understand the trudging on thing. We tend to stick with the devil we know vs. uncertainty. It is human nature. It took enormous amounts of pain and stress to get me out of that world---much like drinking. Sometimes I think back to one of my gigs where I was at for 10 years leading up to 2008 economic downfall. I was paid on straight commission (nobody was buying shit) and left for a salary/commission gig. Many are still there and weathered the storm. I can't speak for them---but, I cringe at the thought of still being at that gig for a lot of reasons. Only a few of us left, which was due to financial obligations----WE HAD TO LEAVE BECAUSE WE HAD TO MAKE MONEY. This is the CBS station I worked for......I can't imagine how stressful it has to be working in a dying field where TV budgets are being allocated to on-line. I can't imagine going to that same cubicle for 20 years. I can't imagine dealing with the same BS that was going on 10 years ago and is still going on today. But, it took the entire economy to crash for me to get off my ass and leave that gig. I wasn't happy at it for years. I reason that I stayed for the money I was making---but, prior to the crash I could have made that same money somewhere else. The devil I knew seemed easier. Yet, it is only with hindsight I can see how destructive it was to stay there.

Pie---congrats on the real estate sales! Property barley gets listed here and it is sucked up. Even though I know real estate is selling like crazy---I know for the agents it is super competitive and cut throat.

Comment

Originally posted by porqoui View Post
                            Boy....listening to the news and family statement all day is really dragging me down. I feel like I'm in a no-man's land and the urge to quickly relieve the pain via AL is strong. So am posting as my way of writing my Mick pro/con list. Thanks for listening/reading!
                            Hi Abbers. Hang in there PQ. I know that sadness. Hope u don't mind if i write out a little pro/cons list since you mentioned it.....

Pros of an AF life -

Pride. Self respect. Self confidence and self esteem skyrocket. Huge positive shift in my attitude. Self care increases. Look great. Shine and sparkle. Walk taller, shoulders back, head held high.

Cons - Zero. No negatives in living sober.

Day 1. I just gotta get through this day. My current low mood is totally self inflicted and can be addressed. Very different to what you and family are going through now PQ. Take care of yourself my friend.

Thinking of you and family too Pauly.

Det, hope you're okay there.

Big waves to all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by porqoui View Post
                              Struggling to get any kind of signal at all today on a any of the computers. .doing this on phon e . ..managed to get on my phone. ..ppqp it must be a really hard time. You don't need booze. Stay strong...we are all thinking of you xx
                              Brew time folks. .at least the kettle is working
                              af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Working...
                              X