X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here and Needing Support

Hey everyone
    I have been trying to quit for years.
    I have had varied amounts of success, but since lock down a year ago i am drinking constantly. I am a closet drunk.
    Since lock down and because no motivation to exercise the quantity I drink has accelerated to nearly 2 bottles a day. In fact yesterday I started drinking at 1pm and by 11pm I had drank 2 bottles.
    I have lost my beautiful skin, my figure and my self control.

I got in touch with a therapist I had used before who had helped me quit for 6 months, but she refused to see me. She said I was not taking covid seriously because i said I wanna wear a t-shirt that says 'free hugs'
    The next therapist I approached implied that i could not afford her services.
    The next one wanted nearly $1000 for a few hours consulting.

So here I am feeling unwanted by the thought professionals. or should that be the thought police?

I am determined to quit and today is the day.

Support would be well received to get me through the next hours, days, weeks.

If I am accountable to others, I will do this.

Thanking you all in advance.

God Bless You All

Re: New Here and Needing Support

Welcome to you [MENTION=24639]AngelHalo[/MENTION]
    Sorry about the treatment you've already endured.

Big step you've made today by making your first post so well done you. Its daunting to make that first post it took me nigh on 8 months before I said hello

Have a browse through the link below..........

and also introduce yourself here https://www.mywayout.org/community/j...bies-nest.html

Fancy a chat...........https://www.mywayout.org/community/g...ml#post1794720.

Glad you found us. :hug:
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Welcome and good luck. Lots here have given up with just online support. You have taken the first step. Jump in and introduce yourself on any of the threads. Lots of us have been here a while so it can seem every day chatter but we have all been where you are and can identify. Don’t be afraid to ask for help or advice.

Comment

Thank you so much. I feel your kind words have really helped me through the day.
        My day has been busy and pretty stressful, but it is almost 7pm and i have not craved a drink and I will not take one now.

Comment

Hello Angelhalo and welcome to you. You have made a brilliant decision to quit and it wont be long before you are feeling better and more confident. Loads of us have been where you are and it is definitely doable. Well done on your day 1!

Comment

Welcome Halo

I was a two bottle a day wine drinker, 7 days a week and more on weekends, finally decided life was worth living even though i did not know what to expect being sober other than bored. now i find there are not enough hours in the day and life is wonderful sober.

glad to see you made it through the first day, each day sober is a step in the right direction.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good morning, Angel--

Weird that you are being rejected by the therapists. Maybe you can get a recommendation from a trusted friend or doctor?

This online forum certainly saved me. I felt accountable here and that helped me meet my goals. I also got a lot from in-person therapy.

JackieClaire gave you some good advice as far as places to go check in and people to talk to. When I first quit I read so much of what is on this forum and posted several times a day. It is less active now but if you post in one of the busier threads you'll get an answer fairly soon.

Take care.
              Pav

Comment

Thank you who sent messages of support and kindness today.

I have felt pretty unwell. Think my body is detoxing. Had my first weight training session yesterday, the first for a few months. It felt good, but I have been achy and decided to take the day off and spend it relaxing in bed and cuddling my precious little cat.

I am delighted to say I sailed through day 2 with no thoughts of wanting to drink.

As for being rejected by therapists, I think the universe wanting me to take my own path and learn more about myself.

Blessing to you all

:love:

Comment

[MENTION=24639]AngelHalo[/MENTION]........wonderful to see you come back and with two days alcohol-free....well done you. :applouse: It'll take some time for your body to get used to going without its alcohol fix but like anything that's good its worth waiting for. Keep yourself hydrated and don't let yourself get hungry.
                  There'll high days and mediocre days........enjoy the highs and remember the lows won't last forever.
                  It could be worse, I could be filing.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hi Angelhalo - I've been trying for years too. And COVID made me get back into it full force too. The last drink I had was the Sunday before Ash Wednesday. I think about it daily though. It's been rough. I'm hoping it will stick for me this time.

Welcome and if you stick around here you'll learn from people who have learned the hard way. One day at a time and always remember that nothing is better with a drink. Why that can't sink in for me, I just cannot figure out.
                    Last edited by frances; March 26, 2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Hello & Welcome AngelHalo!

Glad you found us & hope you settle in the Newbies Nest thread for a while for some extra support. Checking in frequently & making a good plan for myself did wonders. We have a Tool Box thread filled with great ideas for your plan. Congrats on your 2 AF days, keep going

Wishing you the best!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

(good to see you [MENTION=7263]frances[/MENTION] I hope all is ok!)

Comment

Originally posted by frances View Post
                          Hi Angelhalo - I've been trying for years too. And COVID made me get back into it full force too. The last drink I had was the Sunday before Ash Wednesday. I think about it daily though. It's been rough. I'm hoping it will stick for me this time.

Welcome and if you stick around here you'll learn from people who have learned the hard way. One day at a time and always remember that nothing is better with a drink. Why that can't sink in for me, I just cannot figure out.
                          Thanks for you kind message of support Frances.

It is Day 6 for me today and so far so good. I had a wobble yesterday, but got through it.

I cherish every day and today was the first without even thinking about drink. The only time it crossed my mind is when i went into the store room to put something away and there was two bottles of wine in there. I never thought for one moment about drinking them.

I have lots to do at the moment and that is helping get me through the early days.

Comment

Keep it up, AngelHalo!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelHalo View Post
                              Thanks for you kind message of support Frances.

It is Day 6 for me today and so far so good. I had a wobble yesterday, but got through it.

I cherish every day and today was the first without even thinking about drink. The only time it crossed my mind is when i went into the store room to put something away and there was two bottles of wine in there. I never thought for one moment about drinking them.

I have lots to do at the moment and that is helping get me through the early days.
                              Well aren't you just wonderful [MENTION=24639]AngelHalo[/MENTION]. Straight in there - no nonsense
                              My suggestion is the same as [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION] : don't allow yourself to get thirsty or hungry - both triggers in my opinion.
                              Also post here every day - it really will make you accountable but also so proud as you clock up the days.

Keep going !

Comment

Working...
                              X