Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone feel so much better after drinking... that they want to go drinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anyone feel so much better after drinking... that they want to go drinking?

strange statement.

But what I mean is, after you've not drank for a while you feel good and recovered. So decided it's time to paint the town red and go out on a Saturday or sports/music event.

Get hammered cause it feels good.

Re: does anyone feel so much better after drinking... that they want to go drinking?

Originally posted by scotskev81 View Post
    strange statement.

But what I mean is, after you've not drank for a while you feel good and recovered. So decided it's time to paint the town red and go out on a Saturday or sports/music event.

Get hammered cause it feels good.
    Should say NOT drinking

Comment

Re: does anyone feel so much better after drinking... that they want to go drinking?

It’s not a strange statement at all. I’d been “clean” for 10 months to regain my health an to support my husband in his recovery after he was in rehab last Spring. I was going to AA meetings and feeling pretty good, realizing that I didn’t like who I was when I was drinking fairy heavily. However, I’m a bit tired of the whole idea of “working the steps”, even though the concepts make complete sense, and do help to alleviate and resolve underlying issues that make me want to drink to escape. Now, after a relapse one night last week when I was on an emotional roller coaster after my dad’s death and other family-related drama, I binged that evening, and felt like shit the next day (or two), which reminded me about why I stopped to begin with. Now, the thought of drinking resurfaces almost daily, but I haven’t given in since… All this to say that alcohol is cunning and baffling- and although I want to get hammered, I realize that there’s going to be a tombstone with my name on it well before I would want or expect it.

Comment

Been there many times. I would swear off drinking and 2-3 days later would start to wish I did not swear it off and by the end of the week I was looking forward to doing it all again.

Glad that those days are over. Drinking will just make us all go backwards and not forwards.
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenWing View Post
          It’s not a strange statement at all. I’d been “clean” for 10 months to regain my health an to support my husband in his recovery after he was in rehab last Spring. I was going to AA meetings and feeling pretty good, realizing that I didn’t like who I was when I was drinking fairy heavily. However, I’m a bit tired of the whole idea of “working the steps”, even though the concepts make complete sense, and do help to alleviate and resolve underlying issues that make me want to drink to escape. Now, after a relapse one night last week when I was on an emotional roller coaster after my dad’s death and other family-related drama, I binged that evening, and felt like shit the next day (or two), which reminded me about why I stopped to begin with. Now, the thought of drinking resurfaces almost daily, but I haven’t given in since… All this to say that alcohol is cunning and baffling- and although I want to get hammered, I realize that there’s going to be a tombstone with my name on it well before I would want or expect it.
          Of COURSE in the first while I'm sure we all feel amazing after 3-7 days -- so why not have a nice old binge and then go back to sobriety the next day? Those clean days were easy weren't they? so I can do that again.... NO -- is my answer to that.. I struggled with on-off drinking for 2-3 years -- for most of those years I was completely sober - and then I'd just want a bit of fun and release from day to day worries and hassles... BUT --- and this is THE most important part for me -- once I understood this -- everything changed. EACH AND EVERY TIME I RELAPSED IT GOT HARDER AND HARDER TO GET BACK ON THE WAGON.....

and that isn't just me -- as BrokenWing says above 'now, the thought of drinking resurfaces almost daily' -- in treatment every single person there said the same thing -- it was so easy at the beginning - but after 3,4,5 decisions to have a bit of a blow-out..... christ it got hard... in my case -- despite virtually being sober for 90% of the previous 3 years - I ended up having to go to rehab.... PLEASE hear that Kev.... that is the consequence of that 'harmless Saturday night' --- and I was lucky -- some relapse so many times (and it IS a relapse -- whether you like it or not - it's NOT a 'blow out' - words are important) that they can't ever get sober -- and I've met them -- what was fun in their 20's - developed to full blown alcoholism never to be brought under control - don't leave it too late Kev.... this is honestly something you will never EVER regret

Kev -- it's up to yourself obviously -- but what would you think of posting in the Army thread? We've all been newbies here in MWO -- no one arrived sober -- and I doubt very much at least one of us hasn't encountered a situation you are/were in -- we're all gagging to cure someone:hahaha:
          Last edited by mollyka; May 21, 2022, 03:08 AM.
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Originally posted by DriftyAlison0 View Post
            Been there many times. I would swear off drinking and 2-3 days later would start to wish I did not swear it off and by the end of the week I was looking forward to doing it all again.

Glad that those days are over. Drinking will just make us all go backwards and not forwards.
            And so glad you've accepted those days are over Alison... great to see you back xx

Comment

Thanks Molly. I am so grateful to have those days behind me. I did it once before and I know that I can do it again.
              I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post

Kev -- it's up to yourself obviously -- but what would you think of posting in the Army thread? We've all been newbies here in MWO -- no one arrived sober -- and I doubt very much at least one of us hasn't encountered a situation you are/were in -- we're all gagging to cure someone:hahaha:
                :hahaha: Yes we are.
                Come over to the Army thread & all answers will be answered - it will save you starting a new thread every time.
                Molly's post is proof of that.
                Kev read & digest that excellent post. She knows what she's talking about.

Comment

and I was lucky -- some relapse so many times (and it IS a relapse -- whether you like it or not - it's NOT a 'blow out' - words are important) that they can't ever get sober -- and I've met them -- what was fun in their 20's - developed to full blown alcoholism never to be brought under control - don't leave it too late Kev.... this is honestly something you will never EVER regret
                  I can't reiterate this enough. This is exactly what happened to me. I used to be a few times a week (usually get hammered on weekends) drinker for many many years, and it was a slow gradual process, that eventually led to a severe alcohol dependence. It can really sneak up on you, and it's very easy to delude yourself. Nip it in the bud before you get anywhere close to that level, is the best advice I can give, because it really is hell once you get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulburry View Post
                    I can't reiterate this enough. This is exactly what happened to me. I used to be a few times a week (usually get hammered on weekends) drinker for many many years, and it was a slow gradual process, that eventually led to a severe alcohol dependence. It can really sneak up on you, and it's very easy to delude yourself. Nip it in the bud before you get anywhere close to that level, is the best advice I can give, because it really is hell once you get there.
                    Sorry. Im going drinking tonight.

Comment

It's yourself you should apologise to not us

Comment

I’m sorry to say this Kev but you’ve got to stop with the BS.
                        “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

god i love beer

Comment

Originally posted by scotskev81 View Post
                            god i love beer
                            Yeah lots of us did Kev..but tbh ..I'm with Techie now on this..there's a time and a place...come back when you need to.. we'll always be here to help anyone who needs help..but we aren't here to be made fools of

Comment

You don’t have to give up the flavor of beer! The market is exploding right now with all sorts of delicious craft NA beers! I love beer too -and still get to enjoy the flavor of beer in all its many permutations: dark, light, IPA, fruity, etc.
                              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Working...
                              X