Atkins Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atkins Diet

I have decided to go back on the Atkins diet for 6 weeks. I did this once before when I wasn't drinking and lost 16 pounds. I have been trying and trying to get this 18 pounds off for three years since I had surgery. My poor metabolism is in a coma. So, I am going to fire it up. I can do this by eating more calories, but the only way for me to do this and not gain, is to go this route for a while. I know the diet like the back of my hand, but I am doing it with lean meats, veggies and a good fiber. I have TONS of fabulous recipes as I LOVE to cook!

I am also going to up my exercise for an hour on the workdays and do an outdoor activity on one day on the weekend. Rest one day.

I am determined! I am not really overwieght, but I am 42 and I want to get this off so I can enjoy my healthy, AF body.

I'll keep you informed!
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Atkins Diet

MM keep us informed, I've always been told that Atkins is unhealthy, but if it helps you lose weight when you need to then surely its not all bad?????
    sigpicXXX

Comment

Atkins Diet

It was unhealthy when it first came out YEARS ago, but not anymore. It is mainly just cutting out all whites; breads, sugars, corn, carrots, and alcohol. That is the very basics, but you eat LEAN meats and lots of fresh veggies (mainly anything green). You add a good fiber, a bulk or supplement and no fruit for the first two weeks (just the first two weeks). It is actually very healthy as long as you stay to the lean meats. When it first came out they said you could eat steak cooked in butter with bacon, etc. They don't recommend that anymore. It is good for people that require more calories, like me, as you can consume a bit more and still lose weight - but you have to stick to it very closely.

I'll keep you up to date!

MM
      Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Atkins Diet

You basically stay to 20-22 net carbs per day.. Here is a few sample days..

Day 1
        Breakfast
        2 eggs, scrambled
        3 slices Canadian bacon
        1 slice bran crisp bread or Wasa high fiber flat bread

Lunch
        Shrimp salad
        2 cups spinach salad with olive oil and vinegar
        1/2 small tomato; sliced

Dinner
        Lamb Chops with Tomatoes and Olives
        1/2 cup saut?ed Swiss chard with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
        1 cup mixed greens with 2 tablespoons Maries Creamy Italian Dressing

Snack
        5 large black olives and 1 ounce cheese

21 Total Net Carbs

Day 2
        Breakfast
        2 smoked salmon, cucumber and cream-cheese roll-ups
        1 small tomato, sliced

Lunch
        Cheddar Burgers with Chipotle Sauce
        2 cups mixed greens with oil and vinegar

Dinner
        Roast chicken
        1 cup broccoli sprinkled with Parmesan cheese
        1 cup endive and sliced radish salad with 1 tablespoon Marie's Dressing

Snack
        1/2 cup red-pepper strips with blue-cheese dressing (combine 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese, mayonnaise and sour cream, to taste)

21.5 Total Net Carbs

MM
        Pretty tasty!!

Comment

Atkins Diet

Love Atkins!

Hi MM,
          I've been doing Atkins since 1999 and love it. I'm pretty much on maintenance and don't follow it perfectly but I do avoid all sugar. I eat lots of veggies and salads and also meat, chicken and fish with delicious sauces made with butter and heavy cream. I'm satisfied for about six hours after a breakfast of bacon and eggs. The imporant thing is to eat whole unprocessed foods instead of refined processed junk. If I start cutting corners with convenience foods, even Atkins bars or shakes, I stop losing.

My heath is great and and when I last had blood work done my cholesterol was good (LDL low, HDL high) and my triglicerides were exceptionally low (which is very good!). I feel so much better when I eat low carb. And I haven't been sick in years...haven't even had a cold.

Have you heard about the new book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes? He digs deep into the science behind diets and their role in disease. As more doctors read this book I think Dr. Atkins will finally be vindicated...as will dietary fat.

Good luck in your weight loss and please keep us informed.

LZ

Comment

Atkins Diet

Atkins

I'm thinking about atkins again. Had great suceess a few years ago with it. Only thing is I do alot of exercise do you think I will be able to sustain this on Atkins?
            I guess I could add a few more legal vegies and see. Need to have a good shot
            at AF this might be a good carrot.
            Good idea Mama!
            Pan

Comment

Atkins Diet

I am planning to do a pretty extensive exercise regime as well. I will do my exercise in the AM, that seems to help with this plan. ANd yes, add the legal veggies....

Comment

Atkins Diet

Hello MM,
                I was just wondering if you take a calcium supplement, as I see no milk atall... Is milk high in carbs ? Us gals need approximately 1200 mg of elemental calcium per day...
                You are so smart to add excercise to your regime as that is gonna bump your metabolism right up... Best of luck and thanks for sharing this adventure with the rest of us

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Atkins Diet

Hey, Niblet!

Yes, I am a supplement junkie... I also have those yummy sugar free calcium chocolate chews for the evening in case I haven't had enough..

Will keep you informed....

MM

Comment

Atkins Diet

MM: I live by the guidlines of Atkins. I'm also 42. I'm slim, but really need to get into working out again! Your Atkins/Workout posts really inspired me. Thanks! -Reenie
                    September 23, 2011

Comment

Atkins Diet

At last!!

Hey MM..

I am the same age as you and the last time i ever had a good time in my life and was healthy was when i was on the Atkins diet.

Apologies, i read the first post and did not read any further before replying.. but i urgently want to join you in this.

My main problem is sugar addiction and my doc has told me she is concerned i will become diabetic if i don't quit. Now i have never had a prob with liver or cholesterol or whatever... but do suffer from PCOS which is from to insulin inbalance ... thus Atkins was perfect.. not to mention the bonus of killing off any possible Candida (another sugar/yeast monster).

Now Hey.. the next few days are nightmarish for me as in HUGE pressure with work etc..
                      Can we please make a date to start?

PMS me if I am not on the boards.. anyone else interested in it too.

XXX

Comment

Atkins Diet

OK, just read posts..

I did the old fashioned Akins - first 3 days was nauseous hell.. going into keytosis.

Every day after that was brilliant and nooooo cravings for bread, wine or sugar. Lasted almost a year and looked and felt super brilliant.

Dairy - I always had high fat greek yogurt & peaches/fruit for breakfast and eggs if I felt like it.

Anyhoo.. i'm enthusiastic & look forward to this thread & getting back on track.

Comment

Atkins Diet

Healthy Atkins is good for people with the alocohol situation because of the sugar metabloism. It is so connected - we just really can't have sugar - it throws our bodies into triple-spin.

I am with you, MM. !st steps for me yesterday - Pilates, healthy snacks, good protein, veggies, and best thing > no wine!!!!!!

I really wonder what happens to the weight for those of us wine lovers when we give it up.

Seems there are 3 bodies with drinkers -
                          1. 'Scrawny' Skinny - can see NO nutrition impact of alcohol
                          2. 'Beer Belly' -
                          3. Overall heavy, plump - seems to be a sugar metabolism thing - just bloated, soft, and dimpled everywhere

Crazy generalization, but the bottom line is that the alc/wine seems to control the metabolism. Atkins is about no sugar,, so different metabloism takes over.

Ok, thanks MM for starting this - I've been meaning to take off some pounds, as well, but couldn't do it as long as I was into "Everydsay Wine".

Have a Low Carb Day!!!

G2G
                          "Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste"

Comment

Atkins Diet

I did Atkins a few years back and had great results. I need to get on board with the diet again and this was a great motivating thread.
                            "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Atkins Diet

OK, guys!

Let's get going!!

I am going to start a weekly thread i can put up some food ideas and we can post our starting point and goal. I think it is really important to do that - but it is completely optional. This wil be a great place for us to add what we ate especially for the first two weeks - the induction, as that can be a bear! I will also post the guidelines and any other helpful stuff for the week.

I will start it here after I get my little one off to school.. It will be called Atkins, Week One!

See you in a bit!

MM

Comment

Working...
                              X