Panic attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panic attacks

I have been suffering from panic attacks. They started a couple of months ago. I feel like I will die! It is the worst feeling I have ever had in my life. I hate it. Does any one else suffer panic attacks? If so, what do you do to work through them?

Panic attacks

I've suffered from panic attacks my entire life, although they have decreased in frequency as I've aged. Personally, the simple fact of being able to recognize that the myriad of unpleasant symptoms is merely a hyper state of anxiety and not something serious often is enough to stop an attack in its tracks. However, there are a few key lifestyle choices that have also helped me greatly. First off, stay away from or minimize your use of stimulants, especially nicotine and caffeine. Secondly, exercise regularly, particularly something involving your cardiovascular system. When I started running regularly about 5 years ago, this eliminated my symptoms in a way that nothing else has ever been able to do, including medication. Speaking of medication, if your panic attacks interfere with important life commitments, benzodiazepine drugs (Valium, Ativan, etc) can offset attacks, although these drugs are VERY addictive and should only be used in the short-term. But they will calm you down if you have something important to do (just don't mix them with alcohol, which can lead to respiratory failure). I know how frustrating panic attacks can be, so you have my utmost sympathy. Hope you feel better soon.

Comment

Panic attacks

Hi Lovuall,

I dont suffer with them, but my girl is eleven she was getting them last year... they did go away for six months but she is getting them again.. i try and not panic myself when she is getting them..i tell her to breath deep in and out, and it does go away after a while. but it does hurt her throat. i'm hoping she will grow out of this. They do say to breath in and out of a brown bag and stay clam if you can. It just finding out what courses them. All the best. hope u feel better soon as well.

Love
      Teardrop.x
      family is everything to me

Comment

Panic attacks

I've had panic attacks since 1972. I let them go too long without finding out exactly what they were. In fact they are the main reason I started drinking because drinking made the attacks go away. They got so bad I was housebound for about a year. I still have them but they aren't as bad or as constant as they were. I've always had access to either valium or ativan, but drinking was so much easier. It's weird though, because since I've stopped drinking this time, they hardly ever happen.

Breathing the "correct" way does help. You have to breath in deeply and slowly with your stomach going out, not in. This gives your lungs more space for the oxygen. Breathe in slowly to the count of 4 and then release your breath slowly to the count of 4. And repeat. If you breath in and your stomach goes in, you will just get dizzy. One of my many psychiatrists taught me this.

For me though, sometimes the attack happens so fast, I take the medicine. I'm lazy.....

HTH
        Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Working...
        X