Gastric Bypass Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gastric Bypass Anyone?

I'm new here and someone suggested to me that I post a thread regarding gastric bypass and transfer of addiction. I am seeing more and more friends, especially women, that have had surgical procedures for weight loss. I had GB on 10/28/05. My husband had it on 01/17/05. We have been married 27 years and were never more than an occasional social drinker. That sure changed a couple of years ago. Our binge drinking increased. I started experiencing "blackout" periods, passing out, peeing myself, waking up with unexplained bruises, cuts, scrapes and not remembering a thing. About 6 months ago we realized we had a problem. We went to a local rehab place for a free consultation. Since hubby is also Bi-polar, they wanted to put him in immediate inpatient. They wouldn't accept us bot in treatment at the same time either. It just wasn't right for us. So we made a conscious effort to slow down. We were able to, but our frequency of going 3 or 4 days without beer turned into every night.We would drink a 12 pack and drive (scary) to get more! Then we'd finish off that 12 or 18 pack! Then we went to a new family doc that suggested a psychologist. We have been going every two weeks (separately) since January. I know I have gotten better, so has he. But we are still srinking to excess about every 3-4 days. Sometimes I can stop at 3, which btw, I get a raging buzz halfway through one! Other times, it's 10 or more!

I want to be able to drink in moderation. That seems to be my problem more than anything!! If I could drink 2 beers on the weekend or once a week, man, that would be awesome. I know we have to take one step at a time, one day at a time and sometimes 5 minutes at a time!

Transfer of addiction from food to something else is very real, I would have never believed it. Of course I never realized I was addicted to food either! I have lost 112 pounds and I am so much healthier, but I feel like crap! Hubby has lost 150+ and is in the same boat!

Any help or suggestions, advice, two cents, etc? LOL

Thanks,
    Gina

Gastric Bypass Anyone?

Amazing timing. I had just posted in "Why did/do you drink" about how my gastric bypass led to my alcoholism in a serious way.

There are others on this site in the same boat.

:welcome:

Like you, I am very sad I cannot do the 2-3 drinks/day and stick with it.

Sooner or later, it is a couple of bottles or more and I am blacked and raging drunk.

Keep on working on it. It will get better if you do.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Gastric Bypass Anyone?

I am not a gastric bypass, but my Mama is. She can drink one drink and is drunk. (of course she isn't drinking anythingnow as she has cancer...but that is another story...) I also have 2 friends that had gastric bypass, BOTH OF THEM, never drink until the bypass. They BOTH drink very heavily now. I mean they drink!!!!!! I agree they transferred addictions. I wish you the best!!!!! It is hard, I know!

Comment

Gastric Bypass Anyone?

Hello there - I am 4.5 yrs post gastric bypass and for me it was not a transfer addiction as I had a drink problem before I had this surgery. I have heard that alot do transfer their addictions from food to drugs and or alcohol. I do find that on days I go AF I eat ALOT more - I think maybe I am just always trying to feed something weather its with AL or food - pretty sad eh? Anyway I know that with this surgery AL is particular bad for us because (well for me) I don't take care of myself, don't do my vitamins or my protein supps that I am supposed to be doing and AL alone takes so much of our nutrients - its just a horrible cycle and one that i am desperatly trying to get off of.

I just wanted to answer you to let you know that yea there are quite of few post gastrics out there that do become alcoholics - Oprah actually did a show on this very topic.
        when you fail at something is when you learn and grow the most

Comment

Gastric Bypass Anyone?

oh i forgot to add that my husband also had gastric bypass 6 months after me - he does not drink and never really did but he is out eating his surgery and has had a regain of about 60 lbs so my guess is that he is trying to feed something also. I have had a regain of about 15lbs with a total loss of 160.
          when you fail at something is when you learn and grow the most

Comment

Gastric Bypass Anyone?

I am wondering if there is an addiction to carbs and/or calories and since the stomach is smaller alcohol is easier to get in?????....with a buzz as a bonus? Just a thought... I have a son who is overweight with a very addictive personality and bipolar, I suggested lap band, which he qualifies for, and he was not interested.

Thank you so much for sharing this. It almost reminds me of those of us with depression.....many many increase alcohol consumption once put on antidepressants......Go figure
            Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
            - George Jackson

Comment

Gastric Bypass Anyone?

Myheart....I actually went 7 motnhs AF unti lI was put on anti-depressants. Then I had such horrible cravings, I caved. I have read a lot on this since I crashed! There are certain meds that actually make the craving worse.

Comment

Gastric Bypass Anyone?

I directed you here from OH and I forgot to give you some other info. I felt better about posting it here because it is better understood and taken on this board. I too was blacking out and binging. My doctor has me taking the Topamax and it has worked wonders. I also take Cymbalta for depression. I am doing well and although I do not think I will be able to moderate I am okay with not drinking I am sober now since December and feel so much better. Just wanted to let you know that the meds and the supplements are okay for us post Gastric Bypass. Feel free to private message me if you have any questions or need anything. I am glad you found this site helpful.

Matilda on OH
                GodsGirl Here

Comment

Gastric Bypass Anyone?

Thanks!

I'm so glad you did! I would have never known about this place & I have already gotten great responses here!! I take Lexapro and was off of it for a while. My drinking increased while I was off of it. I was under a lot of stress then too, so not sure what the increase was due to. Part of me wants to think I was "self-medicating".

Thanks again for leading me here!!

Gina

Comment

Gastric Bypass Anyone?

Gina,
                    I am on Lexapro too......it has helped me tremendously.

Comment

Gastric Bypass Anyone?

My hubby is also bi-polar and the more he drinks, the less effective his meds are! He realizes this as well but man quitting, slowing down or all of the above seems so easy until you try! He is 3 years out from his gastric bypass, neither one of us drank more than socially before. Both of us take anti-depressants, he taks Prozac and I take Lexapro. I think I drank more without the meds.

I did watch the special that Oprah did on this topic. Sadly, I saw myself in the one woman she had on there. The only differece was that my husband and I both share the problem, hers did not drink at all.

Thanks for posting on this subject to everyone that answered. I appreciate your support!

Gina

Comment

Working...
                      X