X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tool box

I Can't Stand It!!! Distress Tolerance and Recovery

One of my mother's favorite expressions was: "I can't STAND it!" She used it a lot, in fact she was in the habit of saying it, in a tone of voice that sounded just a bit panic-stricken, anytime she didn't like something that someone else was doing... and it was a signal for the rest of the family to jump in and do whatever she wanted done, so that she would calm down, and life could go on...

I think that many of us are in the habit of believing that we cannot tolerate (or that we just can't stand!) some things that really we are quite capable of not only tolerating, but overcoming!

So: I've been thinking lately about the topic of "Distress Tolerance" as it relates to recovery for substance abuse/dependence. I decided to write something up, because it's a central issue, and someone might find this helpful.

DISTRESS TOLERANCE

It’s well-known that some people have a higher tolerance for pain than others. These differences have been consistently demonstrated and measured in laboratory settings. Little is known about the reasons that such differences exist, but they are quite real.

Tolerance for physical pain is akin to a tolerance (or lack thereof) for emotional distress. Just as with pain tolerance, some people have especially good capacities for tolerating emotional distress, and others are (or feel) not nearly as capable in this area of functioning.

The capacity for tolerating distress is a major aspect of recovering from alcohol (or other drug) dependence. The central tasks for a person in recovery are to (a) tolerate the emotional pain involved in refraining from doing something (drinking) that s/he very badly wants to do; and (b) tolerate all the other pains and stresses of life, without turning to alcohol; and (c) tolerating the fears generated by her/his own mind, such as the anxiety s/he feels when s/he allows herself to worry that s/he might not be able to live a life without the “assistance” or “comfort” of alcohol.

Some of us are naturally lacking in distress tolerance skills (possibly because of difficult or traumatic childhoods); and many of us have failed to build strong skills in distress tolerance because we are in the habit of turning to alcohol as a primary method for dealing with stressful events, anxiety, etc. Regardless, anyone who embarks on a program to give up a life dependent on alcohol will need to strengthen her/his capacity for tolerating discomfort.

The good news is that distress tolerance is a skill (or a set of skills) that can be cultivated and learned. One of the major pioneers in clinical psychology, Dr. Marsha Linehan, developed a program that includes components in which individuals learn to develop their capacities to tolerate distress. Here is an outline of the commonly used methods used in contemporary psychotherapy to enhance distress tolerance:

1. Distraction
    : this method is very simple (not always easy, but simple). As soon as I notice that I have begun to feel overwhelmed with worry, sadness, fear, anger, a craving for alcohol, or some other very uncomfortable emotional state, I gently shift my thinking (and my behavior) to something else. It can be a very simple shift: for example, I can begin to deliberately count the tiles in a nearby floor, or ceiling; or, speaking silently to myself, I can describe all the books on a nearby bookshelf, including their titles, their authors, the colors of the jackets, etc. One of my own favorites, when I am outside, is just to look at the sky. Gradually, the emotional discomfort will begin to fade. Remember to be patient! None of these methods are “quick fixes.” It takes time for our minds to relax, for our brains to lower the levels of stress-induced hormones and neurotransmitters.

2. Acceptance: Sometimes our biggest struggles are internally generated. Often, it is not so much the situation itself that is so painful, but our fruitless attempts to change the un-changeable, or mental arguments about how things SHOULD be different, our endless efforts to figure out WHY things are the way they are… all of these are unnecessary add-ons to the difficulties that life presents us with. One of the major differences between people who live happy, meaningful lives and those who are bitter and unhappy is the capacity to accept setbacks and to make the best of difficult circumstances, instead of struggling against the things that cannot be changed.

One excellent role model in this area is the guy in the YouTube video, with no arms or legs… but with a fabulous outlook and love of life! [Here's the link: YouTube - How to get back up...Nick Vujicic (life without limbs):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AkOJaWVvmE[/video]]YouTube - How to get back up...Nick Vujicic (life without limbs) ]

An example of someone who is NOT a good role model, because s/he is self-handicapping her/his own life, would be the person with a serious alcohol problem who continues to tell her- or himself that s/he SHOULD be able to “drink like a normal person”!

The “Serenity Prayer” is a great tool for enhancing acceptance. When we find ourselves in some kind of mental turmoil, we can begin sorting it out by quietly repeating: “Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” Often, upon reflection, we will then realize that the turmoil arises out of trying to change something we cannot change.

3. Mindfulness
    : Both as a formal meditation practice, and as a way to approach daily life (awareness of the moment, and careful attention placed on whatever is going on right now), mindfulness is a skill par excellence. Much of our emotional distress arises out of a focus on the past (regrets that contribute to depression) and the future (anticipating disasters that contribute to anxiety disorders and panic). When we realize we have allowed our minds to dwell on the past or the future, shifting into the present can be calming, comforting, and effective in helping us to deal with life as it is (not as it was, or as it might be in case something awful happens). Re-focus on physical sensations: deliberately feel the sensations of your breath as it goes in and out, for example. Notice what your thoughts have been telling you (often it may be that your mind has tricked you into a dialog about drinking!). Notice the stress-related sensations you might be feeling in your chest, or belly, or shoulders.

It’s a good idea to practice these skills on a daily basis, so that they will become part of your repertoire, and readily available to call on when you really need them. You can, with practice, become a person who has a good capacity for tolerating emotional distress; and this will make a huge difference in the likelihood that you will be able to meet your goals for long-term (permanent!) freedom from alcohol abuse and dependence! So: if you find yourself saying to yourself (or to others!): "I can't STAND this!" then... think about it. Maybe you can...

Comment

Tool box

WIP:

I just read your thoughts on distress tolerance. Strangely, while I was puttering around earlier, I was thinking about the times something distressing happened (fight w/husb, fender-bender, etc.), & my automatic reaction was to drink. After joining MWO & having a body of sober time, I can think of some distressing incidents that I've gotten through sober. For me, I've just needed to plunge ahead & do what I have to do to bring it all to closure. That's a very big theme in my life. I must absolutely "get" that there will be good & bad in my life (actually in spiritual terms, everything is good), & that I can work through whatever happens. Numbing out is no longer an option. When I did drink my way through difficult episodes, I found that I then had a dual problem: the original issue & the awful aftermath of drinking.

I've just completed my second day of meditation after many years. It's been very empowering for me. Today, I was instructed to focus on one of my limitations (for me, fear & anxiety), & then I was instructed to breathe in the quality that would counteract that limitation (for me, courage to do what's necessary...in short, courage).

Thank you so much for your post...it was so generous of you to put that into words in order to help us.

Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Tool box

Thanks for the post, WIP!
        :l
        LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Tool box

GREAT post WIP. As always, Thank You.

Comment

Tool box

Thanks WIP for your continued blessings to us all.

Hey, zed nice to see you "over here"
            Toughen up!

Comment

Tool box

Not too long ago I realized that I had forgotten how to relax without alcohol. There is a menu of choices at this link:
              Tips to Relax Your Body and Mind
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Tool box

Thank you WIP! :l
                Excellent work.. and very much along the lines of what I am trying to learn, deal with and practice at the moment. Your post couldn't come at a better time for me.
                I am so grateful that you and others who contribute to this thread have taken the time to put it all into words.
                Hugs
                Fickle

Comment

Tool box

I posted this already, but thought it might be good here as well. I found it on a stop smoking forum, but applies to drink just as well:

"It's been so long since we've touched and since I've held you. I can remember how you smell and taste, but it doesn't bring the memories I thought it would. I thought I was so in love with you...I thought I needed you so very badly, but now when I think about you, I only think about the deceit, the lies, the hate, the hurt, and the disease."
                  Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                  AF May 23 09 to July 09
                  AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Tool box

A sheet I picked up that I thought maybe helpfull to others.

Sobriety, the magnificent obsession, is the most important thing in your life, without exception. You may believe your job, or your home life, or one of many other things come first. But consider if you dont get sober, and stay sober, cjances are you wont have a job, a family, sanity or even a life. If you are convinced that everything in life depends on your sobriety, you have just so much more chance of getting sober and staying sober. If you put other things first you are only hurting your chances.

1. Cultivate continued acceptance of the fact that your choice is between unhappy drunken drinking and doing without just 1 small drink.

2. Cultivate enthusiastic gratitude that you have had the good fortune of finding out what was wrong before it was too late.

3. Expect as being normal, that for a time, perhaps a long time, you will recurringly experience:
                    a. The nagging craving for a drink
                    b. The sudden impulse to just take a drink.
                    c. The craving, not for a drink as such, but for the soothing glow and warmth a drink or 2 once gave you.

4. Remember that the times when you dont want a drink are the times in which to build up the strength not to take one when you do want it.

5. Develop and rehearse a daily plan of thinking and acting by which you will live that day without taking a drink, regardless of what may upset you or how hard the old urge for a drink may hit you.

6. Dont for a split second allow yourself to think: 'Isnt it a pity or a mean injustice that I cant take a drink like so called normal people'

7. Dont allow yourself to either think about or talk about any real or imagined pleasure you once had from drinking.

8. Dont permit yourself to think a drink or 2 would make some bad situation better, or at least easier to live with. Substitute the thought: 'One drink will make it worse, one drink will mean a drunk'

9. Minimise your situation. Others have greater problems, how joyful such people would be if their problem could be solved by just not taking one little drink today. Think gratefully of how lucky you are to have so simple and small a problem.

10. Cultivate and woo enjoyment of sobriety.
                    a. How good it is to be free of shame and guilt.
                    b. How good it is to be free of the consequences of a drunk just ended, or of a coming drunk you have never before been able to prevent.
                    c. How good it is to be free of what people have been thinking and whispering about you, and of their mingled pity and contempt.
                    d. How good it is to be free of fear.

11. Catalougue and re catalouge the positive enjoyments of sobriety, such as:
                    a. The simple ability to eat and sleep normally, and wake up glad you are alive; glad you were sober yesterday, and glad you have the priviledge of staying sober today.
                    b. The ability to face whatever life may dish out, with peace of mind, self respect and full possesion of all your faculties.

12. Cultivate a helpful association of ideas:
                    a. Associate a drink as being the single cause of all the misery, shame and fear you have ever known.
                    b. Associate a drink as being the only thing that can destroy your newfound happiness, and take from you your self respect and peace of mind.

13. Cultivate gratitude:
                    a. Gratitude that so much can be yours for so small a price.
                    b. Gratitude that you can trade just one drink for all the hapiness sobriety gives you.
                    c. Gratitude that you are an alcoholic- you are not a bad or wicked person, but you have been in the grip of convulsion.
                    d. Gratitude that since others have done it, you can in time bring it to pass that you will not want or miss the drink you are doing without.

14. Seek out ways to help other alcoholics - and remember the first way to help others is to stay sober yourself.

15. And dont forget that when the heart is heavy and resistance is low and the mind is troubled and confused, there is much comfort in a true and understanding friend standing by.
                    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Tool box

Another sheet I picked up that I thought might be of help.

Now that you have stopped drinking, your main problem is not to start again. Here are a few practical tips, based on the experience of others, that should help make this easier for you.

1. eat as much as you can. You will feel less likely to want to drink on a full stomach.

2. If you do get a craving for drink, this may simply be the body's demand for liquid, which is often very strong. So drink plenty~provided its not alcoholic. Fruit juices with glucose, tea or coffee with plenty of sugar will best satisfy your body's need for plenty of liquid.

3. Alcohol destroyed your limited supply of vitamin B. Take plenty of vitamin tablets, especially those containing vit B compound.

4. A feeling of depression can be the result of being physically out of sorts. Keep your system regular.

5. Never sit gazing into spacewith your mind a complete blank. do something, anything positive.
                      a. Go for a walk.
                      b. Do a bit of gardening.
                      c. Have a bath.
                      d. Have a shave
                      e. Make phone calls.
                      etc etc...Any of these will break the mood period.

6. Never hesitate to conntact a friend. The person you call may need your call as much as you do. So never hesitate to ring.

7. Have a plan for your day. Dont just muddle through. You may not be able to carry it out but do your best.

8. Easy does it. Alcoholics tend to try and do too much too quickly.

9. First things first. Get your priorities sorted out, remembering always that sobriety takes precedence over everything else.

10. Losing your temper is a luxury you cant afford. Remember its even possible the other person could be right, so be tolerant and avoid emotional disturbance.

11. There is no problem which a drink will not make bigger, so keep all yours down to their true size by staying sober.
                      To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Tool box

Another sheet I picked up that I thought might be of help.

Now that you have stopped drinking, your main problem is not to start again. Here are a few practical tips, based on the experience of others, that should help make this easier for you.

1. eat as much as you can. You will feel less likely to want to drink on a full stomach.

2. If you do get a craving for drink, this may simply be the body's demand for liquid, which is often very strong. So drink plenty~provided its not alcoholic. Fruit juices with glucose, tea or coffee with plenty of sugar will best satisfy your body's need for plenty of liquid.

3. Alcohol destroyed your limited supply of vitamin B. Take plenty of vitamin tablets, especially those containing vit B compound.

4. A feeling of depression can be the result of being physically out of sorts. Keep your system regular.

5. Never sit gazing into spacewith your mind a complete blank. do something, anything positive.
                        a. Go for a walk.
                        b. Do a bit of gardening.
                        c. Have a bath.
                        d. Have a shave
                        e. Make phone calls.
                        etc etc...Any of these will break the mood period.

6. Never hesitate to conntact a friend. The person you call may need your call as much as you do. So never hesitate to ring.

7. Have a plan for your day. Dont just muddle through. You may not be able to carry it out but do your best.

8. Easy does it. Alcoholics tend to try and do too much too quickly.

9. First things first. Get your priorities sorted out, remembering always that sobriety takes precedence over everything else.

10. Losing your temper is a luxury you cant afford. Remember its even possible the other person could be right, so be tolerant and avoid emotional disturbance.

11. There is no problem which a drink will not make bigger, so keep all yours down to their true size by staying sober.
                        To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Tool box

Great stuff here. Thank you. I have to remember that cravings & urges are a normal part of getting sober. Nothing to be ashamed of. Mary
                          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Tool box

Cymru, those strategies are awesome. I will definitely keep them in mind and use them. Thank you so much.
                            I will read that over again.

Narilly
                            'bump'
                            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Tool box

bump for green
                              sigpic
                              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Tool box

This is powerful..and I hope not too scary, but if it helps just one person then it has been worthwhile.

WHY I STOPPED DRINKING

It?s easy to say it was killing me, but it needs more of an explanation that that. The feeling of waking up in the morning with that body ache all over followed by the thoughts of regret. My family watching me and worrying for me and wishing that I could just stop it. Not knowing what I did the previous evening, nor what I said to people. The indiscreet remarks and people either laughing at me or being disgusted with my remarks and actions.

That feeling when I picked up a nice glass of chilled wine was great. It lasted for about ten minutes as then my body started to feel a little weak. I didn?t take too much notice of the wine as I was looking to top up with the next glass. Before I knew it, a whole bottle had gone and I was tipsy. Time for a sleep. At least it would stop me drinking for a while. After that downstairs to look forward to finishing off the second bottle. Whilst doing that I would maybe phone some friends. God knows what I said to them. Finish off the second bottle and then stagger off to bed. Sleep for about three hours and then wake up. Same pattern every night. Wake up in the morning and then worry about driving whilst feeling achey and under the weather.

THE TRIGGER TO THIS IS THE FIRST DRINK. ONCE YOU HAVE ONE GLASS IT IS ALL OVER AND YOU ARE BACK TO SQUARE ONE. I WILL NOT BE TEMPTED TO HAVE EVEN A LITTLE TASTE AS I KNOW THAT WILL BE THE END OF MY ALCOHOL FREE LIFE. IT WILL BE BACK TO SQUARE ONE AND WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN ABOVE.

I gave up riding horses many years ago. I got overweight and unfit. I weigh sixteen stone and the reason for this is pouring booze down my throat. When I reach twelve stone seven, which I will, I intend to get on a horse again and ride a gallop. I intend to get back to being a nine handicapper at golf. I used to love going to the Races, but can?t because I drink. I intend to go racing again shortly and enjoy it because I will not have to worry about driving home.

IF I SO MUCH AS HAVE ONE DRINK, ALL OF THIS IS LOST. IT WON?T BE ABLE TO HAPPEN.

Drinking is costing me on average around ?100 per week. That?s ?5200 more in my pocket every year, equivalent to ?9000 before tax. I can put that to good use.

IF I SO MUCH AS HAVE ONE DRINK, I WILL LOSE ?9000 IN THE NEXT YEAR

If I don?t drink, I will become much healthier and a much nicer person to be with. I will also be more productive at work

If I do continue to drink, I will soon die?..

Comment

Working...
                                X