Well, I failed on day five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't breathe well and wine helps me breathe. I am asthmatic and smoke. I take two medications a day to breathe. I know, I know, quit smoking.

I've found I can only go so many days smoking without picking up a glass of wine. Once I do, I breathe fine. My inhaler? Only for TRUE emergency emergencies. At any rate, caught in this vicious cycle with two addictions. I know I must quit smoking, but it's really hard to give up two addictions at once. Anyone have experience with this?

So, tomorrow is another day. 7/18 sounds like a fine day to quit both addictions. I just don't know what I'll do with myself. Thanks for listening.
    ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Hey Changed,

I NEED to start tomorrow as well. Day #1 together????

Comment

OBTW~ maybe this is a true emergency. No doctor here, but perhaps the inhaler is a better choice????

Comment

TakeHeart;667118 wrote: Hey Changed,

I NEED to start tomorrow as well. Day #1 together????
        Deal's on. As they say - try, try again. We can do this!
        ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

TakeHeart;667121 wrote: OBTW~ maybe this is a true emergency. No doctor here, but perhaps the inhaler is a better choice????
          Actually, quitting smoking would be the better choice. I save the inhaler as a final, final choice. If it doesn't work, off to the ER I go with a GIANT bill. It's so hard not to just pick up a glass of wine and breathe. Of course, it just dawned on me. I could switch things around. The inhaler first and then the wine if it doesn't work. However, if I switch things around I will be out of options and not able to drive. Then I have to call a cab, wait for the cab and then maybe pass out while waiting. Oh, it's all so complicated and dealing with two addictions plus a medical condition isn't easy. I should really just quit smoking.
          ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

Understand. Deal on! We CAN do this. Athough it's always easier when it will be tomorrow. But, we have each other and I can see through BS like nobody's business....just a warning LOL!!!!

Can't wait, looking forward to a new day with you!

Comment

TakeHeart;667134 wrote: Understand. Deal on! We CAN do this. Athough it's always easier when it will be tomorrow. But, we have each other and I can see through BS like nobody's business....just a warning LOL!!!!

Can't wait, looking forward to a new day with you!
              Me too! Count me in! I will go buy the patch tomorrow and just deal with things. Oh, and it's weird. I am slightly superstitious, but I always think the 18th day is a day for changes. Could it be my ex left me on May 18 and my divorce was finalized on June 18? But I digress...
              ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

Changed1 - I don't mean to oversimplify anything, but is there any medication or other help you can get to quit smoking? I have heard people discussing some medication called Chantix or something on here that has helped with quitting drinking, and I think it was actually originally created and prescribed for people to quit smoking....could it be a double whammy helper for you?

Or nicotine gum or patches? I suppose you have tried over the counter things like that though...

At any rate, here's sending out good vibes and hope for both of you to stay strong!!! :l

Comment

scrubbly;667140 wrote: Changed1 - I don't mean to oversimplify anything, but is there any medication or other help you can get to quit smoking? I have heard people discussing some medication called Chantix or something on here that has helped with quitting drinking, and I think it was actually originally created and prescribed for people to quit smoking....could it be a double whammy helper for you?

Or nicotine gum or patches? I suppose you have tried over the counter things like that though...

At any rate, here's sending out good vibes and hope for both of you to stay strong!!! :l
                  Thank you! I asked my MD for Chantix and he was not comfortable prescribing it to me. I have the pleasure of dealing with two diagnoses persuant to the DSM IV. Both alcohol dependence and bipolar depression, both for which I take meds. So my MD wants me to go through my psychiatrist. I see him on the 29th. He'll have to give me an ok.

I will do the patch again starting tomorrow. Thanks for the good vibes!
                  ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

Hey bud. There has been people who did both at once.

You can join this site to help you quit smoking. It helps with drinking as well, but its main focus is smoking.

Http://www.quitnet.com
                    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

DriftyAlison0;667148 wrote: Hey bud. There has been people who did both at once.

You can join this site to help you quit smoking. It helps with drinking as well, but its main focus is smoking.

Http://www.quitnet.com
                      Thanks, Alison. Actually, the smoking bothers me more than the drinking. I no longer black out nor do I get hangovers. I also know the body recovers quite well from alcohol abuse. However, a person isn't out of the woods for 10 or 15 years after quitting smoking. I must quit both, probably simultaneously, in order to have any success in the sobriety realm.

Most excellent site! Like I said, tomorrow is the patch.
                      ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

changed1

for smoking:
                        WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource

worked for me,lots of support

I gradually cut down from over pack day to 0ne to two cigg a day,then quit cold turkey.

first 40 days awful,ist year cravings on and off,at over 1 1/2 years now and no cravings

personally never seen any one sucessfully quit with patch,gum ect

the brain has to forget what nicotene feels like

you will feel 100% better and I promise it will get easier(NO CHEATING)

hope this helps a little.-

midway,between two addictions

Comment

Hi Changed.
                          I am asthmatic too and also an ex smoker. I stopped drinking last year and stopped smoking on the same day. But I used the gum to help me. I managed to quit the gum this year.
                          It was hard but honestly, my asthma has improved soooo very much. I am back running and swimming again.
                          I was told I could use both gum and patches when it got tough and i did. It worked.
                          All the best
                          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Thanks, midway. I've been on that site before and it is good. I actually quit for around 15 years (I say 15 as I smoked maybe one cigarette per year when I was thirty or so. Dabbled for a bit at six years nicotine free at 25). All in all, nicotine free for 10 to 15 years in the past. Picked up at 35 due to divorce. Been smoking ever since, except on a couple of occasions when I quit for six weeks and then two months. It can be done, so I am optimistic and do appreciate your post!
                            ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

Changed, i am also going AF starting yesterday actually so today is day 2 for me. Yeah!!! anyway good luck lets keep in touch

Comment

Working...
                              X