Pet help ASAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pet help ASAP

I know there are many pet owners/lovers here. I have a little 5 pond long haired chihuahua. We took her on a trip to Boise, Idaho and stopped along at quite a few rest areas this weekend. I just found a large white tic.. I think it was a tic. It was very attached to her neck. I cut it off and put it in a plastic back. I think I got it all, but there is a bump where it was starting to get into her skin. I called the emergency vet, but haven't heard back. I live in the mountains of Idaho and the only tics I have ever seen were black. This was twice as big as a deer tic and white.

Does anyone have any idea about what kink of bug this is. I am thinking because we were at a lot of rest stops that it could be anything...

Also, is there anything I can put on it until I can see the vet?

Thanks for any help!

MM
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Pet help ASAP

PM Mags. She will know!

Comment

Pet help ASAP

THANKS!
      Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Pet help ASAP

I'm not sure why the tic was white but I pulled a white tick off one of my dogs about a week ago. I think maybe the tick was shedding it's skin or something. I brought my dog to the vet and the vet said the dog was fine. My dogs are on Frontline so the ticks can bite but they don't stay, they kind of bite and barely hang on and die. My dog is fine BTW.

HTH
        Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
        - George Jackson

Comment

Pet help ASAP

This is my first dog, so I have only heard about tics (and horror stories from childhood - weird parents), so I am tic-ignorant. I thought all tics were black and this one was white and big! I was able to cut it off, but her skin is broken, swollen and red. I missed the vet call, so I couldn't ask him if I should put something topical on it. I was so worried because it was attached to her neck like a little vampire and she is so little.

Comment

Pet help ASAP

I was always told to pull the tick off with tweezers because leaving any part inside the dog could cause an infection. If your dog is on Frontline the tick should come out easily with the tweezers. If your dog is not on Frontline I would recommend saturating the tick with oil before pulling it out with tweeezers. I have been told that ticks start out dark colored but turn whitish as they engorge.
            Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
            - George Jackson

Comment

Pet help ASAP

I just pull tics out when I see them and have not had any problems with my dogs. Once I had one on me after riding my horse and I was so grossed out I just batted it off. It left a red circle for about a year but nothing ever came of it and the doctor said it was fine.

Comment

Pet help ASAP

Yes, I've taken a white waxy tick off my dog in the PNW. No problems
                Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Pet help ASAP

I just talked to a few friends here and they said the same thing; they get white when they suck blood. THAT IS FRICKING DISGUSTING! My vet called and left a message. He seems to think everything is fine.

I don't have her on Frontline because she is pretty much an indoor dog. I also pulled it off without oil because I thought it was a burr (sp? - I am such a city girl!). I have it in a plastic bag in a tissue but I can't look at it.. eeewwww!

I will look at the little wound tomorrow and see how she is feeling. I am glad it is off! My daughter saw it while I was at work today and told me about it. I think it was there over night. Poor little baby!

I'm going to have a little sacrifice with it tomorrow - the tic, not the dog.

Thanks everyone! I will let you know how she is tomorrow.

Namaste,

Mm

Comment

Pet help ASAP

Hey, MM...

Did you get the head of the tic????
                    If so... you're good. Yes, there will be some irritation after, there's also going to be a hole and swelling (a bump) around it. You can use some rubbing alcohol to clean it a couple times a day and put polysporin or something similar on it (anything with a little anti-biotics).

My dog had a tic this spring... in all my years with dogs, none have ever had one before... I was pretty freaked out, too. His vaccinations came up a couple weeks after and I showed the spot to the vet, thinking I may not have gotten the whole tic.. but did.

It took probably close to 4-5 weeks for the area to clear up completely. Good luck.. poor pooch and poor Mama!
                    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Pet help ASAP

We have white ticks here MM- small black ones and huge white ones- I don't know if the white ones are just big versions of the black ones or not.

I pull them of my dogs, but there is a certain way to do it to make sure the whole thing comes out.

I frontline mine too, but they do still get the odd ones. It all sounds OK to me, just keep an eye that the red spot heals in a few days, if not get her to the vet.

Comment

Pet help ASAP

What about pouring some hydrogen peroxide on it to make sure it doesn't get infected? That might be better than anti-bacterial ointment, because the ointment could clog it up...

Just a thought (from a non-vet, animal lover!).

But if you're still worried, definitely take to vet. I'm surprised the vet said all was fine without seeing your dog...!
                        Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Pet help ASAP

Here are some tick facts for you. There are many "kinds" of ticks. They usually live in the brush and trees and the females will get on an animal (or person) to feed on blood. They can get pretty large (pea size) and will turn a whitish grey as they are engorged and then they will fall off. If you pull a tick off you should pinch close to the skin and pull gently. I use my fingers, but tweezers work. A little peroxide or antibiotic cream is fine. If it does get infected it will usually just fester a little--nothing too serious.

Not to scare you but some ticks can carry diseases such as Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted fever--but usually these are specific for an area. It was a good idea to save the tick and have a veterinarian look at it. Frontline is a great product--but the ticks will still attach to the animal and take a blood meal before they die.

Make sure you have checked your dog for more ticks (and yourself).

Just to gross you out-one of my first jobs (as a vet tech) was to pull ticks off of a dog that had been running by the river. I filled 5 large dixie cups. I won't tell you the rest of the story--but that is an extreme case.

They are kinda gross--but usually harmless. Hope this helps. See your veterinarian.
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Pet help ASAP

MM, I hope that all is well today... Gosh, LVT you are such a wonderful knowlegable lady !

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Pet help ASAP

I hope the pup is doing better today! Pls. let us know.

I want to share that when I first moved to where I am my little pekepoo got tics. What I did was to put olive oil on the tic and this caused the tic to back out completely. Then I was able to just take it off my dog.

Just thought I'd share in case this happens again or to anyone else.
                              ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

Working...
                              X