running instead of drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a 58 year old woman and have been on a exercise/ weight loss plan the past 8 months. I started jogging short distances on the treadmill a few months ago. I am now up to being able to run a mile slowly followed by walk/runs. I feel very well. I always start running and think that I cannot possibly do it but then I go for awhile and it seems doable. I am trying to listen to my bones and pace myself. I only jog every other day. I don't seem to hurt. I want to run a 10 minute mile on my 59th birthday next month. I am pretty sure I will make it. I may never run a marathon but I am making progress. How different is it to run on hard ground vs the treadmill which has "give"? Can someone of my age actually start running? Is it wise? Can I be hurting my joints and not knowing it? I have lost 56 pounds so far and have 5 pounds to go. thanks for any suggestions.
    sunny

Comment

Sun, not sure you'll make it back to this thread. I just posted about running on another thread in this section. I'm 58 and run 3 miles a day, about 4-5 times a week. Mine is a super slow jog (I call a slog for slow jog). It helps me control my weight, and I'm definitely hooked on it (have been doing it since I was 29). I don't have any physical problems from it, but then I've been doing it a long time - not sure how it would impact someone just starting out. Well, good for you if you can do a 10 minute mile - I'm slower than that. But, I'm consistent.....lol.

BTW, I like running outside so much more than on a treadmill. I think it's much better exercise. But, I live in a warm climate and can get out easily. Plus, I live outside the city so I don't have to contend with many cars. And, I would have to say that running on a treadmill is better than not running. You can Google it and find out more - there have been studies done comparing the two.

Good luck.

Comment

KG,
        Belated thanks for your response. I made steady progress and was even able to do more than a mile until I got pneumonia a few weeks ago. I am better now and slowly getting up to my mile again. I only have 6 days until my birthday but I still will see just what I can do.
        Antibiotics really helped me! My friend suffered w it for a month or more. After 5 days I got on the Rx and was better within 3 days. I am glad we have drugs for the "walking (Running!?" pneumonia now as well as for the alcohol dependency. I agree that the running helps with the weight.
        S

Comment

Just wanted to post that today I did reach my goal of running a mile in 10 minutes. I felt great. I plan to slowly increase to 2 miles a few times per week if I can. I have so far lost 63 pounds since last June. Exercise and diet both. It is the consistency that made it possible and the consistency came from the success I had with abstinence. I owe a lot of this to Baclofen. I can finally set goals and reach them.
          All the best
          Sunny

Comment

everlasting memories

nomore;891795 wrote: hi everyone,i have always been a bit of a runner(when not drinking)so when i decided to quit drinking 2 mths ago i began to train for a half marathon,gradually i began to increase my mileage and the weight began to start coming off,everything was going great i was doing 8 klms before work every second day then 12 klms on weekends feeling great.i was totally focused on the upcoming event on the goldcoast then 3 weeks before the event i pulled a muscle in my thigh,told by doc not to run for a month,it has devestated me,but not enough to start drinking again as i know that when my thigh heals up i shall slowly get back to where i left off,hopefully it wont flair up again.are there any runners out there who have experienced bursitis of the thigh?if you have could u please tell me more about it.thankyou.stay focused people!!!!!
            good morning and another interesting thread,i was a runner at one time,started in 1988,weighed 185 lbs,started training for my 1st marathon,in 1989, i lost 30lbs in a bit over a month,i also dieted,or ate properly,i to got into amasing shape,over 10 years i completed 12 marathons,12 10 mile road races several 10ks and numeous 5ks, not counting the 300 and some odd miles i put in to train b4 a marathon, i clocked 1000 s of miles,i also have a walking job,where i walked up to 14 miles a day or more,,see the pattern,it was much llike my drinking,excessive,i guess what i m saying is listen to your body,give it rest,i guess it s a lot like not drinking forever or learnin g how to moderate,congratulations on your new passion,gyco

Comment

Yip my first marathon is done and dusted - loved it!! Now off to do the Gold Coast Marathon in July but have the Huntly Half marathon before then, also the Taupo half in August and then New York! I love running and have only been running for 3 years. Have done several 10k races, 5 half marathons to get to my first that I did on Saturday. I ran the whole thing too.

Comment

Good contributions Carlton and Alton. The light hearted banter between you 2 exercise nuts has an almost slapstick quality to it.

Another runner here. Been running for years. I always return from a run feeling better than i did when i set out. Great mood lifter and distractor. And very meditative when you find the groove.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

:new: (well, to this thread)

6 days AF... and 8 days before my first Marathon.

I've been running for around 9 months which has included 2 half-marathons. It is addictive, and as Guitarista says, a damn good moodlifter. What baffles me, is how much (and at times how fast) i ran when hungover! (Aided by paracetamol, coffee and banana's tho). Sometimes the body simply amazes me at what it is prepared to endure...

Comment

Hi:
                    I took up running over 10 years ago. I have done at least 18 half marathons and many, many 10 km races. I find running keeps me sane. Nomore, could it be that you increased your mileage too quickly?
                    I belong to a run club and training for a half marathon should take 16 weeks starting with two to three tempo runs of 4-6 kms a week and then one long slow run usually on weekends starting with 7 kms and increasing by 10% each week. In the last couple of weeks we do a taper.
                    At about 4 weeks in we start to add hills as well.
                    I hope you heal fast and can get back to running and building up your endurance and distance again soon. I suffer from a Morton's Neuroma on my left foot, it is nerve pain. I am always trying new treatments to fix it.
                    I know if I drink the night before a run I will either feel miserable or miss it completely. I love running more than drinking and I am grateful that the running is keeping me (for the most part) sober.
                    Good luck with the injury!
                    R4L
                    Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Opps, I see that I answered an old post by Nomore. RunningCourage, I ran hungover more times than enough. It is so wonderful to get up without a headache, put on my shoes and head out to meet my running buddies for some fresh air and exercise.
                      Happy runs to you all!
                      R4L
                      Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Malton;1444217 wrote: Well!!I am agree with your reviews that running is the best instead of the drinking.
                        Because running has own importance and give good shape of the body.According
                        to me that running is the best for weight loss of the body.....
                        I've started doing 20 mins. a day on the treadmil. It's a start!
                        Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Hippyman;1444218 wrote: I've started doing 20 mins. a day on the treadmil. It's a start!
                          That's awesome! I love running. But be careful doing ANY exercise every day. Your body needs to rest. You will see greater gains in your running if you do it every other day and another activity, such as weight training, on the off day. Give yourself a full day of rest each week for your body to recuperate. I'm not a personal trainer or anything, but I read extensively about maximizing performance.

When I started doing triathlons 3 years ago running was all I really knew how to do. I had bronchitis around Easter last year and it went to pneumonia, so I was out of commission for 2 full months. Then when I started to train I went too hard and tore my Achilles tendon. There was another 3 months of downtime. So I am really starting from scratch now. You are ahead of me - I better catch up quick!
                          Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Siren136;1446537 wrote: That's awesome! I love running. But be careful doing ANY exercise every day. Your body needs to rest. You will see greater gains in your running if you do it every other day and another activity, such as weight training, on the off day. Give yourself a full day of rest each week for your body to recuperate. I'm not a personal trainer or anything, but I read extensively about maximizing performance.

When I started doing triathlons 3 years ago running was all I really knew how to do. I had bronchitis around Easter last year and it went to pneumonia, so I was out of commission for 2 full months. Then when I started to train I went too hard and tore my Achilles tendon. There was another 3 months of downtime. So I am really starting from scratch now. You are ahead of me - I better catch up quick!
                            Glad you're back in the race Siren!

Yep, rest is as important as the training/exercise.

Break a leg!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Hi y'all,

A beautiful long slow run on the beach today. I just kept running and running, enjoying the sunshine and the crashing of the waves, without a care in the world. It's like a meditation for me when i'm in the groove. Haven't done a long run for many weeks, and i probably went further than i should've, but not excessive, and it was so much fun, and so peaceful and energising. Only another runner would understand.

I was also inspired by some chat today between Anon and Running courage on the Army thread. They were talking marathons and running event dates and it just fired me up a little. Thanks guys!

Break a leg.

G bloke.

Comment

In stead of drinking on Saturday night I joined a group and went for a night ski under the full moon.

CT
                                AF Since July 27, 2012:jumpin:

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...e_gdata_player

Comment

Working...
                                X