Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will it get easier

Hi All

Im a 28 year old man. And i have just decided to stop drinking 2 weeks ago. I have a 6 year old son but im no longer with his mother. And i have a 6 month old baby girl and still going out with her Mother and things are good. I have a decent job and what would look a decent life on the outside

In the last 10 years id say ive only gone 1 week without a drink. When i drink i will stay out all night as i cant face up to problems ive had in my past. But i have had ENOUGH. I dont want to rely on drink no more. It cost me my first long term relationship with my 6 year old's mother. And i see how upset my son is that we are no longer the happy little family we once were. I have decided to stop because i dont want this to happen to my new baby girl. and i want to give my son the best possible life i can.

I used to wake up of a morning and ask "what day is it " Oh yeah there is a match on this evening i will have a few pints for the football so my nerves are calm as i know that a drink will be on the way in a few hours. Sorry i forgot to mention im a very nervous person and have been since a child.

In the two week i have stopped it has been an absolute nightmare. I have had to walk out of work twice as i have began to feel weak, shake, feel like the walls are closing in on me. Then run to the bin and get sick whatever might be in my stomach. Which hasnt been much as i have really lost my appetite. So i get into my car and have to drive. Yesterday i left work at 11 am and didnt get out of my car until 6pm I cant even come home to my Girlfriend and beautiful baby. I panic at the thought of going in as is feel trapped for some reason. I just really dont know how to deal with this. I went to see my doctor and broke down to her during the week. I have been put on a tablet called Lexapro which is for depression. And got a number of a good lady who comes to the surgery to talk to. So as well as this i have the thoughts in my head that im all alone and now, the drink is gone there is nothing to calm me down. And i just freak out. " oh no this is you for the rest of your life nothing will ever get better and your forever going to be sad" I just want to be normal and happy. Ive never done a bad thing to anybody in my life and cant understand why this is happening.

I had to take 5mg of Valium last night to get to sleep. And i woke up this morning at 6;30 am shaking and worrying again. Oh no here we go again another day of panic vomit and sadnessso had to take another 5 mg of valium. Please God dont make these feelings last too long. I cant cope with it anymore
    :upset:

When will it get easier

:welcome: LostRob,

You've made a huge step today by reaching out for help and well done on two weeks AF (alcohol free).
    I'm not going to overload you with advice but have a look in the link below to help get some ideas together.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

I am no doctor but I have to say that the anxiety symptoms your suffering seem to be going on a bit longer than usual, but honestly they will get better. Can you ring a doctor or practice nurse just for a quick chat.

J x
    :l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

When will it get easier

The first two weeks where intially the reason I carried on drinking so often, although in latter years that came down dramatically to 4 days and finally 48 hours. I just found the emotional ups and downs, moods on top of running around tidying up everything after the last session, unable to get any decent sleep all too much. I'd end up tired and fed up and drinking again.

It does get better but it takes time. The way I look at it is if it was easy then we wouldn't have any problem with alcohol or quitting. In fact without the bad side-effects we would not need, or want to give up!!!! Us this time whenever you are close to drinking in future, as it will happen all over again if you do. A short time of discomfort must be better than all those years of unhappiness, and future potential years of happiness?

Comment

When will it get easier

Hi JackieClaire
        Thanks so much for getting back to me so soon. I have been to see my doctor. she took some bloods and i should have the results in a week or so.And has put me on Lexapro. I have just had enough of been sad. My parents moved away 6 years ago with my brother and sisters. So drink was the only thing that would take the lonliness away and calm me down and make me feel that things are not so bad. But then the vicous circle would begin again. I know i have to see a professional and try sort this. Just having a place like this to talk and knowing there are others out there going through similar situations. Thanks Again

Comment

When will it get easier

Hi lostrob, hang on in there it will get better, im sure your doctor has told you that the lexapro will take 2-3 weeks to kick in and work. Just give time some time and you will feel so much better xx

Comment

When will it get easier

Hi Lostrob,

Hang in there, anxiety is what always brought me back to drinking and it is a terrible cycle to get caught up in.

Sometimes when starting an ad the symptoms are what you are describing. Talk to your as oftentimes, they will pair the med with something else for the first month to take the edge off.

You are doing great, two weeks was my cave time as well, just couldn't take the awful anxiety, but it gets better especially after 30 day.

Welcome, and keep coming here, it is a wonderful site.

Comment

When will it get easier

Hi LostRob. I'm so glad you came here and had the courage to post and reach out for help. I hope there is some comfort for you just knowing you are among so many people who truly do know what you are going through from first hand experience. Drinking in order to try to "stuff" our feelings and hurts and heartaches - but then having that "solution" let us down - is one of our common bonds.

I hope you will keep hanging in there and focusing on just staying alcohol free for right now - one day at a time. You really WILL be able to sort through the issues if you are sober. When we are drinking, we just get stuck in the rut of our lives, and there is no getting out. Sober, we have a shot at a better life.

I know it feels miserable right now. It won't always be that way. Keep coming here, keep up the willingness to see your doctor and talk to a professional about your issues, and most of all be willing to do whatever it takes to not drink.

Strength and hope to you,

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

When will it get easier

Hey Robster,

Hang in there mate..fellow Dubliner here!

2 weeks is bloody amazing and yes you are going thru some horrible shite now but remember THIS WILL PASS!
                Keep strong and plodding along for the next little while...it will be so worth it sorid yourself of this horrible addiction for both your children.

Remember, we did not become alcoholics overnight so it will take a while to "undo" the damage we have done but every day, every hour that passes, you are one step closer to where you want to be.

WELL done and remember, we are all here anytime you need a chat or a distraction..

A big welcome to you xx
                "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                NF 12th May 2010

Comment

When will it get easier

Thank you All
                  You have just made my bloody year . You's have no idea how positive i feel after all your kind words.
                  When i woke up at 6:30am with the shakes and panic i never would have thought i would feel this good.
                  Im just sorry i didnt find this site sooner.
                  Big Hugs to you all !!

Comment

When will it get easier

Hey John how tricks

Thanks for your words of advice mate.
                    I know im only 2 weeks in but i actually thought i was going out of my mind.
                    I hope i have begun to turn the corner. And my family and Kids will benifit from the REAL me
                    This site will be replacing my facebook account i think

Thanks Again

Comment

When will it get easier

Hi Rob, welcome aboard. Every day we dont drink it does get easier and life improves. I dont have experience of those medications but plenty in stopping drinking. I like you was a daily drinker for years. Stopping is one thing but in my experience it is the underlaying issues why we abused AL so badly that will need addressing down the line. It sounds like you realise this and are going to look into this. Believe me you wont regret making the decision to come here, as you can already see the support and advice is nothing short of amazing. The people here do truly understand.
                      Keep safe
                      KTAB
                      Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

When will it get easier

No, I am not John, that is a quote that was written by John C. Maxwell that comes up in all my posts.

I is female ha ha.

Yep, keep near to the boards here, read as much as you can and if you are struggling, come and ask for help or pm one of us..
                        "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

When will it get easier

Good stuff buddy. Hang in there, and do whatever it takes.

G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

When will it get easier

Rob, just wanted to :welcome:you and send you my support. I too suffered with anxiety which is now completely gone. I would wake up every morning at 3 a.m. worrying about anything and everything. Almost without exception I couldn't go back to sleep and would therefore have a horrible hangover next day. On a good day, I could function after noon or 1 pm. Others I couldn't function at all - I didn't go back to bed - I worked, but every single moment was painful - a struggle.

Now that I've found this site with these amazing people, I have made it to 33 days alcohol free. My anxiety is totally gone and I sleep well (amazingly well) every night.

So, if you can just think in terms of one day at a time, the days will begin accumulating. As everyone here has said, it's not an overnight fix and you're trying to overcome years of self abuse, but it can happen.

Sending you peace and strength.

Hugs,

Choochie:l

Comment

When will it get easier

Hi DG

Thanks a mill for your kind words
                              one day at a time is how im going to approach this
                              And i will be on these forums everyday for support and advise
                              Thank you so much

All the best
                              Robbie

Comment

Working...
                              X