Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired of Being Sick and Tired. Day 1 Newbie

Hello all.

I have been drinking for the last 10 years. Started out with half bottle of wine to as of today 1.5 bottles of 750 ml bottle per night, 2 on weekends.

I have not been working for the last 6 months and I am finding myself not being able to get out of bed and count the hours till 6 pm when I can have that first drink just to make me feel good.

I have major anxiety, dizziness and just an overall fog in my head except for those hours between 6 and 10 where I let the wine come over me. I cannot do this any more.

I think I am at a point where my mind isnt even making endorphines without the alchohol.
    I am pretty sure that I cannot quit cold turkey. So the tapering off begins.

Any suggestions as to time frame I should take to taper down without any bad withdrawels?
    I just cannot keep living this way. I have prescritpion for xanax that I take for anxiety daily as well.
    You are all so inspiring and I hope this will be the beginning of a wonderful new life for me. I need it.

Thanks for listening.

Hi Winegal, i too drank for ten years. I did taper instead of cold turkey, i reduced my drinking everyday for 7 days and started later each day. You have to be really committed to tapering because for many people it is just not possible. I also did Smart Recovery (started before i tapered) so i could start the process in my mind. It is an all out war that you have to fight against this. You will need many weapons and a good support system (i use this site and Smart) and be committed no matter what. It may seem hard af first but having a plan and changing your thinking will make it much easier than just hoping.

Keep posting and reading here. You can do this!
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

I didn't have to taper because I didn't drink very much before I quit, but my dear, I know how hard it is to commit. Whatever the amount, we sure feel we "need" to drink it. One step at a time, and soon you'll see that life will go on just great without that damn booze monkey on your back.

If you make a plan, then start to implement it, you will be fine. The secret is to START. Even if you drink just ONE glass less each night you will have made a good start.

And get your tool box in place. Lots of vitamins, maybe some meds from your doctor if you are able to do that, make sure you eat as well as you can, and anything else you can think of.

Is there someone in your life you can share this decision with, or who you can start this with?

But the best advice I can think of is to keep reading here, and keep posting!!! There is so much information here it's amazing. Like going to a seminar on how to QUIT. And the support is wonderful, warm :h:h and often funny as heck!! :H:H

Please stay strong - and don't look back! Oh, and maybe start posting in the Newbie's Nest ??
      Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
      (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Hi Winegal and Welcome!

I drank for 10-12 years also. Usually a 12 pack of beer per night, sometimes up to 14. I was never able to taper down, for me it's all or nothing. My doctor gave me Ativan to help with the first couple of weeks. You said you are on Xanax, which is in the same family as Ativan, so maybe you could use that to help you quit? I am also taking Xanax as an aide right now. It should prevent any severe withdrawals you (might) experience from quitting cold turkey. The hardest part will probably be filling in your time at first. I know that was the hardest for me. You can stick around here and read and post, maybe go into chat, there's always someone around with lots of advice and encouragement. You can do this, and we can help!

K9
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

:welcome:

It's never easy to quit but you've found a great place! I was a 10 year + Heavy drinker. I did not taper because I couldnt manage the schedule! If I have one, we're getting drunk tonight!

I had minor sweats for a few nights and that was about it. My withdrawls were basically non existent. Sometimes, I think info you read can really scare a person... I thought I was possibly going to die if I quit cold, or have dt's !!!! I was really concerned at the time... now I know it wasnt a big deal, just an excuse for me to keep drinking.

Check out the forum and learn what you can. I always suggest vitamines and supplements as a good place to start...

Keep with it!

boh
          http://www.aahistory.com/days.html

Round 1 - AF/NF Sept 29, 2011-June 23, 2012

Round 2 - AF/NF October 6, 2012-December 2012

Round 3 - AF/NF January 5, 2014 - ????

Third times a charm!

Comment

Hi winegal, I too have been drinking up to two bottles of wine a night for many years and I know I need to quit for the sake of my health, my sanity, my family and my financial situation. I am on day one again for the millionth time but I am not going to give up quitting, this website has been the saviour of many and I hope will in time help me to reach my goal of sobriety, wishing you lots of success on your journey x
            Taking it ODAT

Comment

Winegal - :welcome:

You've found a wonderful place with lots of great people who will do nothing but give you support and encouragement. I couldn't taper down either - one was just never enough. If you feel comfortable, see your doctor and work out a plan before stopping cold turkey. It works for some but not all.

Mauri - whatever it takes, my friend - just keep coming back! :l
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Welcome Winegal.

I can so relate to your story as wine was also my drink of choice at least two to three bottles a day. It can be very dangerous to detox without medical treatment. For me the nauseau and shakes were so terrible that I entered a detox unit for seven days and then attended an outpatient program to learn more about my disease. Not saying this works for everyone, but it has for me. I am 60 days alcohol free.

I wish you the best of luck. You can do it. Great support here keep coming back.

Comment

This is an awsome place. I know I need support at getting out of the mess I put myself in. I have been numbing my emotional pain with alchol but need to quit. Not an easy thing to admit but I know I have to stop and now.

Comment

Congratulations, Connie!! 60 days is great. I now have 65, but do not take it for granted.
                    Winegal, keep coming here every day. It's such a supportive place!

TDN
                    "One day at a time."

Comment

Connie can I ask what country you are in? did you have to pay for your treatment? I don't think there is anything like your outpatient programme in UK for us to attend ?

CONNIE46;1249574 wrote: Welcome Winegal.

I can so relate to your story as wine was also my drink of choice at least two to three bottles a day. It can be very dangerous to detox without medical treatment. For me the nauseau and shakes were so terrible that I entered a detox unit for seven days and then attended an outpatient program to learn more about my disease. Not saying this works for everyone, but it has for me. I am 60 days alcohol free.

I wish you the best of luck. You can do it. Great support here keep coming back.
                      Taking it ODAT

Comment

I am in the US and fortunately my treatment was covered by health insurance provided by my employer. If treatment is not available, definitely see your Doctor so that he/she can provide you with something to help you. You are at a high risk for seizures during the first few days of withdrawal. They can also prescribe something for anxiety and sleep. The more rest you can manage to get during withdrawal the better.

Good luck, I will remember you in my prayers.

:l

Comment

Tapering never worked for me either. I always bought the magnum of wine, and easily drank one or one and a half. (2 liters of wine). When I decided to cut back, I started buying the regular bottles, but I was pissed off when the bottle was gone. I did that for a while.
                          Then I just quit. Because I was just putting off the inevitable. I would cut back and then make up for it by getting so hammered that I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror.

My withdrawal each time was sweaty and hot, irritable, emotional and very sensitive to sounds. I also have Xanax for anxiety and it helps through the withdrawal tremendously.

Drink lots of water with lemon, take lots of hot showers, get a sauna if you can, and take your supplements.

Best of luck to you!

Best of luck to you!
                          Day 1 again 11/5/19
                          Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                          Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                          Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                          11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                          12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                          X