The Sugar Free Challenge - Who is in??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More research to do on the natural substitutes then eh? I've actually thought today that, for me, its easier to give up all rather than substituting....we shall see though...Happy to report Day 1 - no sugar and no coffee...thanks again DG for starting this thread...

Comment

Thanks DG - I'm also in like flynn for the sugar kill. I'm also on a Day one of AF for another 30 or more days so this will tie in nicely... also wanted to give up the Smoking... mmm might leave that for another day

Take care all
      Patrice

Comment

I'm in. Just got a few things in the fridge to finish off. New year ahead for me so perfect timing
        You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

patrice;1413872 wrote: Thanks DG - I'm also in like flynn for the sugar kill. I'm also on a Day one of AF for another 30 or more days so this will tie in nicely... also wanted to give up the Smoking... mmm might leave that for another day

Take care all
          Patrice
          I am quitting smoking tomorrow Patrice. Wish me luck. Did you know that there is sugar added to tobacco which is one reason smoking increases when we quit alcohol.

Life's a bitch....ain't it ?

Comment

Hmmm....yesterday I rushed out and bought a stevia plant thinking that it might get around the bitterness of the standardised tablet form of stevia.......
            I'll report back in a couple of days, but so far I'm not overly convinced.

Also, there are a number of free online sites and apps for food diarising,

Here is one idea:

CalorieKing.com.au - Australian Online Diet and weight loss club. Lose weight for good!

....and no, I am not affiliated!
            If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
            Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Also another thought last night during those wasted hours we spend sleeping:H

A reminder about the glycaemic index of foods, which is what we're essentially talking about here. GI is the potential of each food to affect blood sugar levels, more to the point raise BSL.

More info here:

Glycemic Index
              If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
              Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

I just noted this thread. I mentioned on the newbie thread today I am considering the Atkins diet soon. I need a couple days, but I will probably be back to this thread.

In regards to the bitterness of stevia, I've heard several shows mention trying white stevia. I just found this on a google search:

"NuNaturals NuStevia? White Stevia? Powder -- 100 Packets
                Zero Calories. Non-Bitter. 100 Packets. NuNaturals NuStevia White Stevia Powder packets provide the ultimate convenience. These packets make it very easy to take Stevia with you to work restaurants or other places where you may want to use NuStevia. The pre-measured packets take the guesswork out of how much NuStevia to use. . NuNaturals uses the special highly concentrated Stevia extract NuStevia from which the bitterness of the extract has been removed."

Kuya, I've heard the same thing regarding artificial sweeteners and I can attest to the fact that diet soda does not help with weight maintenance or reduction. It, also, makes me feel sick.

I followed a sugar free diet for years awhile back. I only allowed myself to sweeten things with homemade applesauce with cinnamon or sweet fruits in limited amounts. You'll be surprised how sweet they begin to taste after you are sugar free.
                Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

doing great here! took cinnamon, l-glutamine and magnesium, no sugar, only green tea, and am eating a big salad of red lettuce, kale, onion, garbanzo beans, turmeric, and chia seeds, with a homemade miso vinagrette. have a big mug of green tea, and my daughter and i are going to the gym when she gets home from school...time to pay it forward to her and help her get healthy, as well. teenagers don't always appreciate the way they should eat, but she had a bit of a blood sugar scare in high-ish reading the past few days, and i think it scared her into wanting to exercise and stop eating such crap! i kind of think she rebels against me by eating garbage, as i've always been such a healthy eater and teacher to her. she didn't have mc donalds until she was able to go out on her own with friends, and oh boy, she went nutty!
                  TANGENT!
                  sorry...
                  peace!
                  10-06-2012

Comment

Tangents are good BG...

Rolling into Day 2. Mornings sugar free arent too hard but its the afternoon thats a killer...I think I like the idea of Stevia so I could bake with it, as I've never had sugar in drinks - well y'know not coffee/tea or soft drinks! Anyway the idea of baking something sugar free sounded good, trouble is I'd then keep going. Guess I'm back to recognising triggers and habits with something new...

Comment

And Bridge, love the links....forgot that low GI works well for energy levels...der...And I reckon I'll give the diary a shot too...

Comment

Hi all! Wow - how cool to have such a big group of us on the sugar free train! WOO HOO! We can do this! I need group support! Today is day 2 for me - so far so good. I definitely think that for me, forgoing the artificial sweets is where I need to be, at least for now.

For those who were asking about Stevia - i definitely have found different brands to taste different. So you might want to try different brands to see if there is one you like more than others.

myhappyplace;1413643 wrote: BG I've noticed that I associate a coffee with a sit down and a sweet something...thats interesting...just had time to go through the link of Lav's that Doggygirl reposted here...so many of those tips worked for me when I stopped drinking...must have a no sugar plan too... I've also dug up a recipe for chai tea that incorporates the spices mentioned in the link...really looking forward to tracking this...
                        RECIPE??????

Dixon - I definitely think sugar affects my moods. I KNOW it does. I'm guessing the affect might vary between people based in part of magnitude of blood glucose regulation status.

Now. Am I going to have to ride this thread like Lorena Bobbitt? Hmmm? :b&d: This is the sugar free thread. :h

I was thinking yesterday about how EASY it was to stick to my eating plan (and my sobriety plan) when I was eating low carb 100% of the time aka NO SUGAR. I am going to keep the faith that it will get easy again if I just muscle through this first couple of weeks.

Have a good day all!

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG - I just cut and pasted this from my home thread at Underoos....I think it can be played with, obviously with the mix of spices and how much tea? The Barambah milk is organic and the recommendation is to use full fat...

Its pretty simple, simmer cloves, cinnamon, fennel, cardamon and ginger in a little water, add tea leaves...then milk - she uses Barrambah - and boil lightly. Add brown sugar...now I havent done it yet, but I'm keen to give it a go minus the sugar...I think Bridge had a recipe for tea too at one stage...

I have little or no energy most afternoons and have been using sugar to "fix" it....so really need to break the cycle....

Comment

myhappyplace;1414156 wrote: DG - I just cut and pasted this from my home thread at Underoos....I think it can be played with, obviously with the mix of spices and how much tea? The Barambah milk is organic and the recommendation is to use full fat...

Its pretty simple, simmer cloves, cinnamon, fennel, cardamon and ginger in a little water, add tea leaves...then milk - she uses Barrambah - and boil lightly. Add brown sugar...now I havent done it yet, but I'm keen to give it a go minus the sugar...I think Bridge had a recipe for tea too at one stage...

I have little or no energy most afternoons and have been using sugar to "fix" it....so really need to break the cycle....
                            What the Sam Hill is a Barrambah???? (for that matter, who is Sam Hill???) I might have to stick with the regular tea bags from the regular store. :H (can you say LAZY??) I am drinking a fruity one right now. Sans sugar.

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

:H Milk....enjoy that sugar free drink! off and into it... be well all

Comment

What we sometimes unknowingly do to ourselves.

“Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Working...
                                X